WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***ARTICLE*** Growing Pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***ARTICLE*** Growing Pains

Growing Pains

After the initial thrill of a victory over Iowa State wore off, this team faced many familiar challenges in the coming weeks. The excitement for an opponent such as Montana was palpable for those who knew about the workings of FCS. There were over 13,000 fans in the Dome even though Iowa and Iowa State would be kicking off soon. Unfortunately what followed was a repeat of some of the challenges this team has had to face in seasons’ past.

I have been a fan of UNI football since 2001, and I can’t say I’m surprised by much anymore. I was there in 2003 when UNI came back from a 28-7 halftime deficit to beat Southern Illinois 43-40 for the Gateway Conference Title. I watched in agony in 2005 when the Cats played Texas State and won on the famous Matt Tharp interception. I was also present for the heartbreak of the game that followed.

I’ve seen this team at the highest highs and the lowest lows. So this season is a reminder that things can quickly change from one week to the next. One week you’re beating a Big XII opponent on the road, and two weeks later you’re losing on a bold fake field goal. Those are the breaks, and Montana and Eastern Washington deserve all the credit. They have made the Big Sky a formidable conference again. Montana does it through brilliant game planning and unrelenting pressure. Eastern Washington does it by forcing you into uncomfortable territory tempo-wise. Both strategies worked against the Panthers, and in both games they just couldn’t recover.

That brings us to this week’s game against Southern Illinois for Homecoming 2016. 13,710 loyal fans showed up and the atmosphere outside the game was one of revelry. The grass lots were full of radios and bags players. Everyone seemed to sense good things on the horizon for the Panthers. The smiles on everyone’s faces reminded me of why I came here for football games long after I’d left as a student.

There were issues that reminded me of why the Dome desperately needed an upgrade. The long lines and crowded concourses are both a curse and a blessing. On one hand, people are showing up to games and cheering for the Cats. On the other hand, the overcrowded concourses and long lines for bathrooms can make for a few problems. It also might mean increased security for when the kinds of issues that arise from keeping tens of thousands of people in an enclosed space.

That being said, there were plenty of things to keep you coming back. The Panther Marching Band’s performance was top notch as always, featuring a very exciting LED light show. I could be biased though… they did play music from Daft Punk, one of my favorite musical groups. The student turnout was the stuff of legend, as I watched them spill into general admission and cheer their lungs out for a team that was clearly ready to play.

The Panthers forced their will on the Salukis from the start, controlling the line of scrimmage and getting key runs from Aaron Bailey and Tyvis Smith. Aside from a few big passing plays by Southern Illinois, they were largely unable to move the ball against a stout Panther defense. The Salukis were held to only 70 yards on the ground, whereas UNI racked up 238. It was the kind of win that Coach Farley could be proud of.

So with all the great things happening at the Dome, I say I will see you on Saturday October 8th for the watch party. Look for a tall guy with a beard in a UNI sweatshirt and a voice recorder and maybe I’ll ask you what keeps you coming back, as I am very interested in what others have to say on the subject. I’m thinking that might be this year’s overall theme since I have spent a lot of time loving the Panthers, but never asking myself why.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
    -Eldon Miller

Re: ***ARTICLE*** Growing Pains

Originally posted by Marc Wigim View Post
    Growing Pains

There were issues that reminded me of why the Dome desperately needed an upgrade.
    Excellent post, Marc. I hope you have lots of good interaction with fans in the Dome this Saturday for the USD viewing.

Can someone, anyone, post any kind of evidence that AD Harris is laying the groundwork for a Dome upgrade -- specifically, expanded entrances with concession and restroom facilities, and new seating for the stands?

I hear the rumors about a new basketball practice facility, which is fine (!), but if rumors exist re: the Dome, I've missed them.

Comment

Originally posted by English77 View Post
      Excellent post, Marc. I hope you have lots of good interaction with fans in the Dome this Saturday for the USD viewing.

Can someone, anyone, post any kind of evidence that AD Harris is laying the groundwork for a Dome upgrade -- specifically, expanded entrances with concession and restroom facilities, and new seating for the stands?

I hear the rumors about a new basketball practice facility, which is fine (!), but if rumors exist re: the Dome, I've missed them.
      We REALLY need purple colored seats.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI-Panthers-32 View Post
        Write a check. Lowest bid they could find was $750,000.

With all of our facility needs, this has to be about last on the list.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          Write a check. Lowest bid they could find was $750,000.
          Seems like that's just a reasonable portion of an $X or $XX million dome upgrade.

Comment

Seems like that's just a reasonable portion of an $X or $XX million dome upgrade.
            Oh I agree, but that is so far down the list of things that need to be a priority.

I think we need to know how realignment really falls and what level of football we're ultimately going to be playing at before we can truly decide what the Dome needs. Are we going to more of a Group of 5 model (more expense, more needs, more seating) or more of a Division II model (same expense, fewer needs, less seating)??
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              I think we need to know how realignment really falls and what level of football we're ultimately going to be playing at before we can truly decide what the Dome needs.
              That's good big-picture logic. I don't disagree. But how many years are we from knowing what we don't now know?

UNI is fortunate to have had *many* millions of dollars invested in refurbishing its academic buildings, dormitories, and grounds over the past two decades. I'm all for that. I'm also for giving the Dome a badly needed shot of adrenaline.

Comment

That's good big-picture logic. I don't disagree. But how many years are we from knowing what we don't now know?

UNI is fortunate to have had *many* millions of dollars invested in refurbishing its academic buildings, dormitories, and grounds over the past two decades. I'm all for that. I'm also for giving the Dome a badly needed shot of adrenaline.
                We're in total agreement.

My vote is go big and make the G5 take you, but if that invite doesn't come it gets tough to pay those bonds...
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNI-Panthers-32 View Post

I agree. Seriously. The cardinal red seats in the new south end zone at Jack Trice Stadium really help mask the fact that tons of fair-weather fans have those tickets. I hate to think what it would look like with a bunch of green or various- colored seats, both in person and on TV.

Comment

I've heard a lot of rumors, but haven't seen evidence.
                    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Working...
                    X