WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santo to the Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santo to the Hall

Ron Santo wanted this day for so long, and now that it’s finally here, he isn’t. The Hall of Fame call, the one he waited for and agonized over pretty much his entire adult life, came on Monday, but he’s no longer with us to answer the phone and hear this: “Ronnie, welcome to the Hall of Fame.

What a bitter sweet day. He should have been able to enjoy this day himself. Congrats, Ronnie. RIP completely now!

Re: Santo to the Hall

Pfffffttt.
    UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

great guy, hard worker and a true role model....but i don't think his stats are hall worthy.

Comment

Its a great day, too bad he's not around for this
        Top ten UNI football plays from 2001-2011

Comment

insulting and embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
            This. Kaboom
            "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

Don't talk about yourself in those terms. Makes me sad for you.

Santo deserved it.

Comment

agreed! bump

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post
                  Don't talk about yourself in those terms. Makes me sad for you.

Santo deserved it.
                  it was insulting that he got into the hall after he died but wasn't good enough to go there while he was alive. Him being in the hall does not make my life any different but it would have meant the WORLD to ron santo and I would have loved to have seen him at Cooperstown

Comment

I agree. If he was truely worthy of getting in, why did it take 32 years? It's almost a slap in the.face by putting him in now because it's close to looking like he only got the nod because he died. The guy didnt want or deserve a pity party, he was bigger than that. If the voters thought he was a HOF player then they should've voted him in a while ago.

Comment

as noted, i was not saying that he wasnt worthy. im a lifelong, diehard cub fan...he had a borderline career for sure. but either elect him when hes alive, or drop it. this is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                        The guy didnt want or deserve a pity party, he was bigger than that.
                        Disagree on that. The guy often talked about how badly he wanted to be in the hall. It was a bit embarrassing.

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                        If the voters thought he was a HOF player then they should've voted him in a while ago.
                        The voters *didn't* want him in. He didn't get in with the Writers and didn't get in with the veterans committee. They had to add a new committee and rules before he was allowed in.
                        UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

very borderline HOF career...

Comment

Best Third Baseman in the National League in his era. Much, much overdue...
                            #MACtion

Comment

1 of the 2 best 3rd basemen of his era. Still one of the top 10 best of all time. 9 All-Star games, 5 gold gloves. More importantly, you have to judge his career also by the era he played in. Dead ball? Pitchers' era? Whatever you want to call it, he was among the best of the era offensively and even STILL all time among all 3rd basemen. I think he hit the 5th most HR's in the decade. He wasn't inducted earlier because he was polarizing and pissed some people off...not because his career didn't deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X