WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of Panther Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of Panther Athletics

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
    "I also anticipate the end of the pass out policy. In other words, when you leave the building, you must purchase a new ticket to re-enter."

So, you think this will make the problem worse? Don't you think that it will help keep people in the building longer?
    In games we're way up in ppeople would at least come back in for a portion of the 3rd. People aren't going to sit all the way through halftime to watch the first half of the 3rd, IMO....
    #MACtion

Comment

So what about going to the McLeod for women's restrooms? Wonder how they'll handle that?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

"We are also targeting growth in PSC membership. Total membership has remained stable but is not growing as we would like. Over half of the first 700 who took the football fan survey were not PSC members, yet they took significant time to complete that survey, showing investment in our program. We have to find new PSC members who are outside of our volunteer network. The interest has been demonstrated. We will focus on growth outside of our traditional membership."

As someone who has been considering joining the PSC from the DSM area I can tell you that:

1. I have never received any type of mailing from PSC/the University about joining.

2. While trying to figure out season tickets for football and how PSC donations work I can tell you that the PSC website is very outdated and a complete mess. I even took a decent amount of time to put a large list of problems that I found with the PSC website and email one of the people only to get a response about the first item so I assume none of the others were reviewed.

3. There was a drawing for a helmet or something else is existing members renewed by a certain date I believe, but there was no drawing for new members....why not have that extra carrot for new members as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherChic View Post
          I found his letter very interesting. Obviously the athletic department and other powers-that-be are taking to heart the issues fans have complained about for years. They're working on solutions. Nothing happens fast- unless I win the Powerball, because then most of it's going to UNI in some capacity or other!
          As if someone in the AD regularly reads Panthernation (cause if they don't, they oughta be ... lots of chaff here, but also a lot of good ideas and observations).
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
            The only talk about the NU gym, as far as I know, was on here. Which still, I don't understand why this isn't happening. We had a new-ish gym facility fall right into our lap and could easily be converted into a full time bball practice facility. It seems so obvious. To my knowledge, the building is not even being used by athletics right now.
            Completely agree. Unfortunately, now with the improved support facilities for MBB at McLeod, it wouldn't make sense to have them trudge over to the Price Lab gym for practice every day. What about adding bleachers to the large open east end of that gym and turning it into a first class space for WBB and Volleyball? That would (in theory) free of the McLeod more for MBB to use for practice.

It's a really nice gym that should be used in some way. It's a shame to see it sit empty.

Comment

It's used...just not sure how often. My daughter had volleyball there and Ruby Gymnastics uses it for the meet they host each year. Not that those are enough..just saying that it is used by the community.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by otter View Post
                "We are also targeting growth in PSC membership. Total membership has remained stable but is not growing as we would like. Over half of the first 700 who took the football fan survey were not PSC members, yet they took significant time to complete that survey, showing investment in our program. We have to find new PSC members who are outside of our volunteer network. The interest has been demonstrated. We will focus on growth outside of our traditional membership."

As someone who has been considering joining the PSC from the DSM area I can tell you that:

1. I have never received any type of mailing from PSC/the University about joining.

2. While trying to figure out season tickets for football and how PSC donations work I can tell you that the PSC website is very outdated and a complete mess. I even took a decent amount of time to put a large list of problems that I found with the PSC website and email one of the people only to get a response about the first item so I assume none of the others were reviewed.

3. There was a drawing for a helmet or something else is existing members renewed by a certain date I believe, but there was no drawing for new members....why not have that extra carrot for new members as well.
                Not to toot my own horn, but I have joined on this year as a new volunteer member of the PSC fundraising team. I'm excited to get started with kickoff next weekend. There is so much I don't know about the PSC and I'm anxious to learn. I hope to push membership. My understanding, and one of the reasons I was recruited, is that they are definitely needing to branch out in terms of who they talk to as they are growing a little stagnant there. Please feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in joining, and you can probably assume I'll be reaching out to you soon.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I just had time to finish this letter and I appreciated this piece:

"All of the pieces are in place at UNI for everything we want to achieve. I do get frustrated at times when we focus so much on what we don’t have that we forget to focus on our assets. What we do have is the best overall program in the Missouri Valley Conference. We are achieving excellence is every area an athletic program must seek excellence, with a group of student athletes, coaches and staff who have demonstrated the ability to be excellent in the right way.

My message as we start 2015 is to expect, even demand excellence at levels heretofore unseen, but at the same time pause to appreciate what we have. UNI Panther athletics is aspirational for others, thanks to our friends, our alums, our coaches, and most of all, our student-athletes."

I agree with this whole-heartedly. While I think we must always strive to improve and get better, we cannot lose sight of how far we've come. I know it's said so often on here but I was around for the Sam Weaver years and before that. If we would have been able to see into the future back then, we wouldn't have been able to believe what we saw coming. We have a staff and an administration that is working very hard to continue to push the envelope and give us an opportunity to be even better than we are. But where we are is not bad at all. In fact, it's pretty great.

I also think we have members on here, who though very often there is bickering and disagreement, can do their part to help. Whether its members of the new FAC, PSC members or fundraisers, students that are trying to recruit more students, or people who are simply getting the word out and inviting people to games that have never come before... we can all help play a part. I'm not passing out a bunch of Kool-Aid boxes. But I always try really hard to see things as glass half full. I make no exception here.

End rant.
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                    Meh, we knew it was coming. We knew the finances.

I would imagine it will start with both basketball teams next year and then they'll look to get it to volleyball and wrestling after that.

It'll never come to football at our level so the costs will be somewhat manageable.
                    why does the COE have to be gender equitable? Is that an NCAA thing or a UNI thing. Even so I would think the first Women's sport to get it would be Volleyball and not Basketball.
                    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                      why does the COE have to be gender equitable? Is that an NCAA thing or a UNI thing. Even so I would think the first Women's sport to get it would be Volleyball and not Basketball.
                      Title IX. An aggressive attorney would suggest that 60% of scholarship funds should given to females, to reflect student body makeup.
                      Last edited by Trapped in California; 01-21-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by otter View Post

Otter: PM me if you want and I'll meet with you and tell whatever you want to know. I am not an official volunteer, but can give you all you need to know. I'm in the DSM area.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                          Title IX. An aggressive attorney would suggest that 60% of scholarship funds should given to females, to reflect student body makeup.
                          Yes the overall athletic participation (rosters) must reflect the % of female and male enrollment numbers. Most state universities I would believe have more males than females--we are just abnormal in this regard. Consequently funding must match the same, dropping men's swimming, baseball and not adding men's sports such as soccer when we added women's soccer helps put the roster numbers in sync with the enrollement %.
                          Last edited by northwest iowa panther; 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

FWIW, anyone that has heard about, been invited to or been to TC's Tailgate in Des Moines...that is a PSC event and there is always literature about the PSC and a spiel about the PSC given by Troy, Kerry Dickerson or someone from the Athletic Department. Everyone that is at the event is always asked to join the PSC and support the Panthers through joining the Club. I know they are expanding the TC's Tailgates, too. This year there was one in Cedar Rapids, I believe, and I hope they add NW Iowa or other areas that don't get as much opportunity to see and meet our coaches and teams. Those are great events and I hope if you haven't been to one yet you will try to make it if in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                              Yes the overall athletic participation (rosters) must reflect the % of female and male enrollment numbers. Most state universities I would believe have more males than females--we are just abnormal in this regard. Consequently funding must match the same, dropping men's swimming, baseball and not adding men's sports such as soccer when we added women's soccer helps put the roster numbers in sync with the enrollement %.
                              Actually, the national trend is to higher female enrollment % and graduation % generally. Plenty of exceptions by school, major, etc.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                                UNI is just over 56 percent female, on par with overall nationwide enrollment at public universities for the latest numbers I found (2008 numbers cited in a 2012 Forbes article, http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/201...io-in-college/).

According to U.S. News:

Iowa Publics:
                                UNI:56.9 female/43.1 male
                                Iowa State: 43/57
                                Iowa:52/48

MVC Publics:
                                South Dakota: 63 female/37 male
                                SDSU: 52/48
                                North Dakota: 43/57
                                NDSU: 44/56
                                Wichita State: 52/48
                                Illinois State: 55/45