WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ungreatful Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ungreatful Panthers

Originally posted by Hail Our Panthers View Post
    I hear Hawk fan students using the "I chose UNI for academic reasons," and I'm not saying that it isn't true in some cases, but in how many majors is UNI really a clearly better place to go than UI? Education, probably; buisness, maybe. I still think you can get a solid education at UI in both those majors, so is is that really the reason Hawk fans choose UNI? I just don't think that is enough. Along with that explanation, I hear the "the campus is smaller" one, and I just don't buy that one either. So you have to walk a few more minutes to class, is that really enough for these loyal hawk fans (ones who are still willing to root for an in-state rival over the school that they are attending) to choose UNI? I just don't think it is.

When I got on campus, I fell in love with the place and the Panthers, and by the end of my first semester my hawk fanhood was all but gone. By the end of my second, I had began to dislike the college and fanbase. I wish I had been a fan of the purple sooner, but in the situation I was raised, there was no way that would have ever happened.
    First of all, I apologize for cutting out a majority of your post...but it was really long haha

1) I think UNI has a superior Education program based on my experience, the experience of some of my peers at UI; the research I put into both programs before choosing UNI and what I saw UNI would make available to me (tons of field experience, Price Lab, etc...) and what I had heard from my family in their experiences with UNI and UI education grads/student teachers (my grandmothers, and three aunts are Iowa educator...not all from UNI).

Business is a crapshoot since both are very, very good. To be specific the Accounting program at UNI is top-notch in the nation but I've heard its hell to go through. My mother experienced both business schools and says they were both very good (i.e. 25 years ago though).

I think you are correct in saying that you'll recieve a great education from either school...but UNI is the place to go for teaching, maybe I'm biased though

2) I think you underestimate UNI's "small" campus. "A few more minutes to class" is a vast understatement. I have friends in IC who have to ride the bus to class or leave 20-30 mins early to get there in time. I can walk from the Dome to Seerley in 10-15 mins tops (winter wind/snow storms excluded) and from the towers to the GBPAC in 5-10 mins...now albeit I'm a fast-walker thats still a quick commute. The campus is only like 3.5 sq. mi if I'm not mistaken. Plus the campus looks very pleasent and warm and you can't go anywhere without seeing familiar and friendly faces. UI's campus on the other hand is basically downtown IC (large and not appealing to the eye) and when I took a campus visit a few years ago, no one said hi, nobody waved or said anything about visiting campus. In summary the UI campus is a negative in my mind while the UNI campus is something that countless people attribute to being one of their favorite things about the university. It's something that you take for granted until you finally get to UNI and realize how great it is. I think there are a lot of things at UNI that way.

Comment

Hail, I applaud the fact that you took the time to write that all out, but it's silly. You don't agree with the more common stated reasons to go to UNI, so they must be inaccurate or untrue? I don't think so.

It's not a matter of the (usually rather silly) undergraduate program rankings. Yes, UNI probably only clearly wins that battle in education, but I can tell you I came to UNI for two reasons and two reasons only. First, I liked the program (which was offered at both schools) better here. The professors were clearly more accessible and I liked the way I could approach it better. Second, I liked the smaller feel at UNI. There is unquestionably a different "feel" here than at a larger school like Iowa or ISU. It's not a matter of walking a few more feet - it's the difference between a campus being a campus or a whole city.

Perhaps things have changed, but based upon the estimates both schools provide, full tuition plus room and board is very similar at both schools - I am almost positive this has been the case for the last 20 years or so. Iowa is about $1,300 more expensive for tuition, just under $2,000 with room and board. (The difference is much more pronounced for out-of-state students.) Considering that most students use some form of federal financial aid, this is not a significant enough difference to prevent many students from attending Iowa. It may have been your experience, but it is not common.

UNI students wearing Iowa gear are admitting no such thing. People grow up fans of a team, not necessarily a related institution. I wore Iowa clothing at UNI (I also wore UNI clothing), but I was exactly where I wanted to be. I have never regretted my choice to attend UNI, or my rejection of Iowa, for a single second. In fact, I remain an Iowa fan (when they aren't playing UNI) and rejected a seat at Iowa for a second time later in life.

The people saying it's a social thing are half right - it's a cultural thing.

Comment

ive also noticed that UNI seems to have a much more significant amount of students from the TINY iowa towns. for those people, UNI is a huge school and a big lifestyle change. in their eyes, they are getting a big school experience while remaining more relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
          Let me help here...

People who graduate from a school and instead donate their money to a different school that they did not attend are fundamentally confused, lack confidence & pride, and have deep seeded self-esteem issues.

You do not want to be in a fox-hole, a marriage or in a business deal with anyone who meets the description above.

There is no other explanation.
          this is completely ridiculous and when it comes to judgmental people that you might want to avoid, you may want to look in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
            2) I think you underestimate UNI's "small" campus. "A few more minutes to class" is a vast understatement. I have friends in IC who have to ride the bus to class or leave 20-30 mins early to get there in time. I can walk from the Dome to Seerley in 10-15 mins tops (winter wind/snow storms excluded) and from the towers to the GBPAC in 5-10 mins...now albeit I'm a fast-walker thats still a quick commute. The campus is only like 3.5 sq. mi if I'm not mistaken. Plus the campus looks very pleasent and warm and you can't go anywhere without seeing familiar and friendly faces. UI's campus on the other hand is basically downtown IC (large and not appealing to the eye) and when I took a campus visit a few years ago, no one said hi, nobody waved or said anything about visiting campus. In summary the UI campus is a negative in my mind while the UNI campus is something that countless people attribute to being one of their favorite things about the university. It's something that you take for granted until you finally get to UNI and realize how great it is. I think there are a lot of things at UNI that way.
            I completely agree with this. One of the things I miss most about college was just the average day walking from class to class on campus. It was the perfect size. And then there was my high school best friend who chose to go to Iowa - take her car down there with her - and then never even bothered to drive it because she had to park it so far away from where she actually lived and went to class that it was worthless to her. In fact, I drove down there once just to pick her up and bring her back to CF because she decided to not even have her car down there with her for a semester since she was never able to use it.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

What ever reason brought a student to UNI is personal to each of them, but if they want UNI to still have that same appeal in the future then they need to donate to the cause. If they chose not to so be it. But if they attended UNI & now donate to another college & not to UNI I hold with my previous statement: YOU S*CK! :

Maybe this will help!

"I know the CUBS will play in the world series one of these years, I only hope I'm still alive to see it !"

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                perhaps in the coming generations we will see more people that grew up with UNI as a more well known commodity with bigger name alums, major sports, and its own identity as part of everyday life and there wont be the "dual fandom" that exists now. if anything this board is a good example of that conversion already taking place.
                Good post... I think you are right, too. 20 years ago these kind of "arguments" never would have taken place. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                  this is completely ridiculous and when it comes to judgmental people that you might want to avoid, you may want to look in the mirror.
                  You would not be welcome in my fox-hole.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Plus...just because you are accepted into the school doesn't mean you have to go attend there. So there could be 9,000 accepted qualified applicants bout only 4000 may choose to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                      You would not be welcome in my fox-hole.
                      what if i bring beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
                        I liked the program (which was offered at both schools) better here. The professors were clearly more accessible and I liked the way I could approach it better. Second, I liked the smaller feel at UNI. There is unquestionably a different "feel" here than at a larger school like Iowa or ISU. It's not a matter of walking a few more feet - it's the difference between a campus being a campus or a whole city.

Perhaps things have changed, but based upon the estimates both schools provide, full tuition plus room and board is very similar at both schools - I am almost positive this has been the case for the last 20 years or so. Iowa is about $1,300 more expensive for tuition, just under $2,000 with room and board. (The difference is much more pronounced for out-of-state students.) Considering that most students use some form of federal financial aid, this is not a significant enough difference to prevent many students from attending Iowa. It may have been your experience, but it is not common.
                        Yes, yes and yes!! There would've been virtually no difference between my tuition at UNI or UI as of just a few years ago. I can't imagine thats changed much, tuition has risen by similiar %'s haven't they?

And the professors/classes are another one of those things that I think most students take for granted before picking a school and I think there is a big difference between UNI and the other state schools on this issue. Sure we have large lecture classes for Personal Wellness (120+) and some of those basic Gen. Ed's (my Intro to Psych class for example was probably 100 kids) but other than that I've been in classes with as few as 10 other kids and I think the average class size is 30-40 for your Gen Ed's/Introductory major classes; and 18-24 for your major classes.

As for the professors, they are very accessible as long as you approach them and work with their schedule. All of them are required to have weekly office hours, none are research-based in their tenure (they are at UNI and paid to teach, anything else is on their own free will and time). And 99% of classes are led by professors, not TA's or anyone else. I've had grad student TA's lead study sessions, maybe lead one day of lecture as part of a class requirement, and for my lab requirement for a geography class our TA supervised us and led activities but I think thats the closest I've come to having a TA run a class. NBD

Comment

UNI Tuition and Fees:

Iowa Resident
                          Tuition: $6,408
                          Mandatory Fees: $942
                          Room and Board:$7,426
                          Total Direct Costs: $14,776

Non-Resident
                          Tuition: $15,164
                          Total Direct Costs: $23,532

Iowa Resident - College of Business Administration
                          Tuition: $7,908
                          Total Direct Costs: $16,726

Non-Resident - College of Business Administration
                          Tuition: $16,664
                          Total Direct Costs: $25,032

The University of Iowa takes a lot more time to figure out as it varies from college to college, unlike UNI where all but 1 major fall into the same set up.
                          Last edited by UNI83; 07-07-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI83 View Post
                            UNI Tuition and Fees:

Iowa Resident
                            Tuition: $6,408
                            Total Direct Costs: $14,776

Non-Resident
                            Tuition: $15,164
                            Total Direct Costs: $23,532

Iowa Resident - College of Business Administration
                            Tuition: $7,908
                            Total Direct Costs: $16,726

Non-Resident - College of Business Administration
                            Tuition: $6,664
                            Total Direct Costs: $25,032

The University of Iowa takes a lot more time to figure out as it varies from college to college, unlike UNI where all but 1 major fall into the same set up.
                            Is that supposed to be $16,664?

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

I didn't realize that the CBA was an extra $1500. Does anyone know why or when that was implemented? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X