WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther match ups at NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panther match ups at NCAA

Originally posted by doctor View Post
    Since 1981 (Ban, you used that year) there have been:
    4 seasons with zero all-americans (2 of them for Penrith)
    10 times in the top 12 (1 of them for Penrith)
    11 times finished 18th or worse (6 for Penrith)

We aren't maintaining our position nationally. My head hurts from reading that book but I wanted to show some facts.

Good luck to the 4 guys next weekend.
    I think that we are certainly maintaining our position. If you look at the overall finishes at nationals, you don't see a big slide downward since Penrith. It has basically maintained since 1981.

I just don't buy two arguments that keep coming up when people talk about our program:

1. That it is in a rapid downward slide. That began long before Penrith came on the scene.

2. That poor performance of the team is all due to coaching. I just find that short-sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
      I think that we are certainly maintaining our position. If you look at the overall finishes at nationals, you don't see a big slide downward since Penrith. It has basically maintained since 1981.

I just don't buy two arguments that keep coming up when people talk about our program:

1. That it is in a rapid downward slide. That began long before Penrith came on the scene.

2. That poor performance of the team is all due to coaching. I just find that short-sighted.
      1. From 1981-2000 UNI finished outside the TOP 17 at nationals only 5 times. Since 2001, UNI has finished outside the TOP 17 at nationals 6 times.

2. It's shortsighted to think the coach has nothing to do with the situation.

Comment

2. It's shortsighted to think the coach has nothing to do with the situation.
        I've never said that they play no role. I'm saying, as I've always said, that is isn't ALL the coach, which is what people are implying.

Just witness the results of this year's Big 10's to see my point. Teams that finished dismally this year were doing very well just 1-2 years ago (Michigan and Northwestern), and teams that were doing dismally 1-2 years ago improved greatly this year (Michigan State most notably).

As I always say, so did the Michigan and Northwestern coaches suddenly just get really bad at their jobs this year, and did Minkel (MSU) suddenly get much better this year? That's my point; there are A LOT of variables that explain success and failure.

Comment

I've never said that they play no role. I'm saying, as I've always said, that is isn't ALL the coach, which is what people are implying.

Just witness the results of this year's Big 10's to see my point. Teams that finished dismally this year were doing very well just 1-2 years ago (Michigan and Northwestern), and teams that were doing dismally 1-2 years ago improved greatly this year (Michigan State most notably).

As I always say, so did the Michigan and Northwestern coaches suddenly just get really bad at their jobs this year, and did Minkel (MSU) suddenly get much better this year? That's my point; there are A LOT of variables that explain success and failure.
          Both of those schools lost 4 time all americans. So, they could recruit and develop talent, then those kids graduated. Ban, you don't understand how things work. Maybe that's why you were calling for 'WRESTLEOFFS' the week before the Regional. Don't you think most programs should already have their set lineup the week before that tournament? Yet, you were looking for 6 weights to figure out who was the best one.

Comment

Both of those schools lost 4 time all americans. So, they could recruit and develop talent, then those kids graduated. Ban, you don't understand how things work. Maybe that's why you were calling for 'WRESTLEOFFS' the week before the Regional. Don't you think most programs should already have their set lineup the week before that tournament? Yet, you were looking for 6 weights to figure out who was the best one.
            Was I calling for wrestle-offs?! They did have some wrestle offs to determine who went to regionals. They have some wrestle-offs every year (or almost) to determine who is going.

I'm not sure how much you follow the team, but they juggled their lineup all season with certain weight classes. It would only stand to reason that they'd have wrestle offs.

Comment

We have wrestling?
              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                We have wrestling?
                Yes, just as we do women's soccer.

Comment

Yes, just as we do women's soccer.
                  Oh, I knew about women's soccer.
                  Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

ban basketball....

Here is the deal. We have all argued this forever. These are the ONLY facts that matter....

- We are sending less and less to the NCAA's
                    - We lost our conference this year
                    - Our total score against our five top opponets was 169-29 (Iowa, ISU, Wis, Purdue, OKState)
                    - We were .500 or worse in duals this year

I understand your love for Penrith. I understand it is hard to recruit against Iowa and ISU. I understand that it is difficult to maintain a certain level for extended periods of time. However YOU have to understand that at UNI, most do not fall for mediocrity.

If our basketball team was 14-16 with losses to Iowa, ISU, SIU, Creighton, and Missouri State, we would be talking the exact same way. It would be time for a change. Maybe that isn't all the coach. As a matter of fact, most of it probably isn't. However, the players are on scholarship. They are here. If they don't pan out, that sucks for us. However, coaches are replaceable. That is what needs to be done. That is what would happen if Farley began to go 5-6 every year. That same fate would happen to Jacobsen if he was 14-16.

Don't get defensive. It isn't anything against Penrith. It is simply that we are not relevant in the wrestling world anymore. I understand that we were never really a national threat, but we were much better. We would at least compete with teams such as ISU, Iowa, and OK State. That is simply not the case anymore.

Even if a coach is successful, when the program becomes stagnant or even declines, something needs to be done. A new coach will bring a spark. It is that simple.

Comment

UNI should get men's hockey and serve beer at it. That's my dream. If the University of Alabama-Huntsville can have a team in the CHA we can too. Or join the WCHA.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by UNI View Post
                        ban basketball....

Here is the deal. We have all argued this forever. These are the ONLY facts that matter....

- We are sending less and less to the NCAA's
                        - We lost our conference this year
                        - Our total score against our five top opponets was 169-29 (Iowa, ISU, Wis, Purdue, OKState)
                        - We were .500 or worse in duals this year

I understand your love for Penrith. I understand it is hard to recruit against Iowa and ISU. I understand that it is difficult to maintain a certain level for extended periods of time. However YOU have to understand that at UNI, most do not fall for mediocrity.

If our basketball team was 14-16 with losses to Iowa, ISU, SIU, Creighton, and Missouri State, we would be talking the exact same way. It would be time for a change. Maybe that isn't all the coach. As a matter of fact, most of it probably isn't. However, the players are on scholarship. They are here. If they don't pan out, that sucks for us. However, coaches are replaceable. That is what needs to be done. That is what would happen if Farley began to go 5-6 every year. That same fate would happen to Jacobsen if he was 14-16.

Don't get defensive. It isn't anything against Penrith. It is simply that we are not relevant in the wrestling world anymore. I understand that we were never really a national threat, but we were much better. We would at least compete with teams such as ISU, Iowa, and OK State. That is simply not the case anymore.

Even if a coach is successful, when the program becomes stagnant or even declines, something needs to be done. A new coach will bring a spark. It is that simple.
                        Hmmm... Rationalization? WTF?

Did Ban get "smoked" again? I don't know, there were only five "facts" in that post.
                        Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Working...
                        X