WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tense times in the land of Wide Right & Natty Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tense times in the land of Wide Right & Natty Light

Seems to be a growing sense that Fred will dump ISU for the Chicago Bulls' HC position. Lots of things need to fall into place for Hoiberg to leave, yet it seems the possibility seems stronger each day, even though the bulls still have a HC.

Thoughts on how the melodrama plays out? Does mother nature add insult to injury and flood Hilton after Fred announces departure?

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Re: Tense times in the land of Wide Right & Natty Light

oh poor cyclowns. first a loss to ndsu, then choke in big dance, then hoiberg gone. awwwwww.
    UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Hard to say what will happen, but it sounds like a foregone conclusion that Fred is NBA bound at some point. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the BDJ incidents and the upset loss were the final straw for him. He made some cryptic comments about being burnt out after the season. He may well stick around for one more year given their returning talent, but people in the press who would supposedly have info say he's done.
      Last edited by SteinPizza; 05-20-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

No way he turns down the Bulls job if offered. I will cry my eyes out laughing at the epic meltdown that will go down on cyclone fanatic. That entertainment alone makes me hope Freddy bolts for Chitown.
        Originally posted by TH1974
        This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

I don't see how this could go wrong. Just like the last time the Bulls hired an ISU coach.
          "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
            I don't see how this could go wrong. Just like the last time the Bulls hired an ISU coach.
            Fred Hoiberg - Tim Floyd. Big difference in terms of professional experience, what they've been exposed to in the game. Some of Jerry Krause's decisions when he was Bulls GM turned out real well, but others seemed like they were made to prove how smart he was. Tim Floyd falls in to the later category.

Fred could prove to be a professional flop, who knows? I'm just saying he's got a far better resume coming in than Tim Floyd ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              No way he turns down the Bulls job if offered. I will cry my eyes out laughing at the epic meltdown that will go down on cyclone fanatic. That entertainment alone makes me hope Freddy bolts for Chitown.
              I think the main meltdown already happened. This thing is being drawn out so long that most fans have gone or are currently going through the 5 stages of grief. The meltdown would have been of epic proportions if it would have been more sudden. I think most fans already realized Fred is going to the NBA, if he doesn't then it'll be like winning the lottery.

Lots have already turned to who they want to replace Fred and just want to get it over with. Whoever does replace Fred will walk into a situation where they have top 10 talent and the expectations will be high for next season regardless of who the coach is.

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say there's a 90% chance Fred will not be at ISU next season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                Hard to say what will happen, but it sounds like a foregone conclusion that Fred is NBA bound at some point. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the BDJ incidents and the upset loss were the final straw for him. He made some cryptic comments about being burnt out after the season. He may well stick around for one more year given their returning talent, but people in the press who would supposedly have info say he's done.
                I think it has more to do with his dream of being an NBA coach. And quite possibly he knows his coaching career will be shortened due to his heart health so he feels he needs to jump on the NBA train sooner than later. He may not be a lifer when it comes to coaching. If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.

Comment

I like having Freddy at ISU simply because he doesn't really recruit Iowa kids, leaving the best in state players for UNI with only Iowa to compete against for some of them. The next coach may take a different approach.
                  GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                    I like having Freddy at ISU simply because he doesn't really recruit Iowa kids, leaving the best in state players for UNI with only Iowa to compete against for some of them. The next coach may take a different approach.
                    This is true. It all depends on a new coaches' style of play. If it's similar to Fred, then Iowa will continue to be largely off their recruiting radar. It sounds like they brought in Otzelberger (sp?) for a reason. So he may only just tweak things.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                      I think it has more to do with his dream of being an NBA coach. And quite possibly he knows his coaching career will be shortened due to his heart health so he feels he needs to jump on the NBA train sooner than later. He may not be a lifer when it comes to coaching. If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.

Very well said. I agree. It is mostly about chasing the dream of being an NBA coach.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                        If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.
                        The college coaching job is year-round anyway, with recruiting, appearing at fundraisers, and making Applebee's commercials. He's going to get paid a good deal more and not have to be in Ames. Win-win.
                        UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                          Very well said. I agree. It is mostly about chasing the dream of being an NBA coach.
                          I think Hoiberg's got a career bucket list that says...

1. Play at ISU
                          2. Pay in NBA
                          3. Head Coach ISU
                          4. Head Coach NBA

...and if there's a fifth...I'd guess it's either...

President or General Manager of an NBA team, or
                          Athletic Director at ISU

He's on pace.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Let the hand wringing commence. What happens first, the Mayor leaves or Cy is dumped in a landfill after contracting avian flu?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                              Let the hand wringing commence. What happens first, the Mayor leaves or Cy is dumped in a landfill after contracting avian flu?

I was wondering what the deal was, since the longer it took, the more intriguing it got for both Thibs and the Bulls management. I'm guessing they didn't announce until they had a firm next move on both sides - Thibs with a new gig, and the Bulls with a new coach.

It will be interesting to hear the afternoon drive shows on both DSM sports talk stations. KXNO has the guy from Cyclone Fanatic as a host, and 1700 The Champ has David Kaplan who may have scoop on the Bulls next guy. And, while he still has some clout, Derek Rose and his business associates may be wondering what's down the road. He and Thibs were kind of a "team" against the Bulls' management for the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X