WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former NCC member Augustana SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former NCC member Augustana SD

I'll just leave this here.

Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

"There's two ways to look at this game," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery told the Des Moines Register after the game. "You can schedule it or not, OK? We could have found a team that won eight games last year very easily. We scheduled a team that won 31 games. Most teams won't play them, OK? But I felt like we needed a game like this."

Comment

I think it's asinine to question Fran for scheduling this exhibition game. He's absolutely right in wanting to play someone who would expose weaknesses instead of providing the Hawks with a glorified pickup game. If people are looking at the box score and screaming "Why would you play a really good DII team??" Then they are fools. Or Fran is a fool if he thinks that's what is riling people up...

That being said, people have every right to criticize Fran and the Hawks for being outplayed in this game and setting themselves up for questions about whether they can make the cut in the B1G this season. How could you not expect that?

Comment

That's kind of a funny quote coming from Fran. That's his philosophy with regard to exhibition games I guess. When it comes to games that count he's all about scheduling those 8 win teams.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

He is a fraud. The coming years will tell that story...

Comment

Did they win 31 games last year? I know Augustana of Illinois in Rock Island did really well.
            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
              Did they win 31 games last year? I know Augustana of Illinois in Rock Island did really well.
              Augustana SD is division II in the NSIC. They made the NCAA Division II Tournament. The Illinois Augustana is Division III.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                For Iowa to live up to 50% of their annual, "over the top" hype, they win this going away irregardless of what Augustana brings to town & whether they are from SD or IL. Fran cannot recruit & now he is eating up scholarships with his family. Things will get interesting down 380 in the coming years as the story of red-faced Fran unfolds.

Comment

Huh. Mudrafan, I would have said he's better at recruiting than coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

This is my thought as well

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                      I never said he wasn't. His recruiting blows, however. Big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                        I never said he wasn't. His recruiting blows, however. Big time.

He had a lot of connections out east while at Siena that landed him a bunch of 6'4 to 6'7 guys that were twice as athletic as anyone in the MAAC.

He lost that type of connection going to the Midwest. He no longer has the best athletes on the court so his lack of true X and O ability shows more.

He still gets good talent, he just doesn't coach them up to their potential real well

Comment

Mccaffrey defending his position of scheduling a tough opponent is the most HYSTERICAL thing I've ever heard. He and his AD are class A cowards. Tell me how that RPI looks with Coppin State, UMKC, WIU, Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb on your schedule that "most teams won't play" What a quack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dgcb28 View Post
                            Mccaffrey defending his position of scheduling a tough opponent is the most HYSTERICAL thing I've ever heard. He and his AD are class A cowards. Tell me how that RPI looks with Coppin State, UMKC, WIU, Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb on your schedule that "most teams won't play" What a quack

Their RPI will be fine because they are forced to have OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State on their schedule this year. They will carry the entire league, RPI wise, and be the reason a 7th or 8th place B10 team can use the RPI card.

Comment

I'm not talking about those games. Mccaffrey has no control over those games. The games he has control over are almost ALWAYS 300+ RPI cupcakes, and they lose to some of them at home. For him to whine to the media that he scheduled some team most wouldn't and then have THAT non conference schedule is an absolute joke

Comment

Working...
                              X