WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Rhoads' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
    Salary to a normal human is incredibly attractive. Relative to what other Big 12 coaches are being paid, not so much. Rhoades was second lowest paid Big 12 coach @ $2.2 million this year.

If you are an "up and comer," you would probably be willing to take an "entry level" salary of $2 mil in a conference with an average salary of $3.5 mil.

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
      So any ideas on who the next coach might be/ who they're looking at CyDave and UNIdad?

Randy Peterson gives a long list in the Register this morning. Kendal Briles, the son of Art Briles, seems to be a hot prospect.

Generally, people are saying that we need to move away from the three straight hires of defensive coordinators with no head coach experience. Briles has only one year of experience as offensive coordinator.

Lincoln Riley, the Oklahoma OC, seems like a good possibility.

Chris Klieman of NDSU is also being mentioned. He could be close to home and make a lot more money than he would if he came to UNI (which is where he belongs).

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
        What makes it unattractive is:

1) Location. It is hard to recruit players to come north from the south and west. And there is not a plethora of in-state players like Ohio.

2) Conference. It is hard to win when you are playing some of the best teams in the country week-after-week.
        But K State seems to do well despite the same drawbacks. Iowa has the same drawbacks and they are usually a perennial bowl team. ISU would kill for Iowa's success.

Someone's going to take the job. I saw where McCarney got fired. Maybe he could come back as they had a pretty nice roll with him for a while. Maybe ISU should only hire coaches from the Fry coaching tree.

I don't know where they are going to get their next coach from. Is it going to be the hot coach in the non P5 conferences or the hot assistant from a P5.

I don't know if he'd even take the job but all signs point to Les Miles getting the boot at LSU. He can recruit but he does nutty things and it seems that LSU often won despite him. He's also been criticized for having an offense that is stuck in the 80s.
        "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
          But K State seems to do well despite the same drawbacks. Iowa has the same drawbacks and they are usually a perennial bowl team. ISU would kill for Iowa's success.

Someone's going to take the job. I saw where McCarney got fired. Maybe he could come back as they had a pretty nice roll with him for a while. Maybe ISU should only hire coaches from the Fry coaching tree.

I don't know where they are going to get their next coach from. Is it going to be the hot coach in the non P5 conferences or the hot assistant from a P5.

I don't know if he'd even take the job but all signs point to Les Miles getting the boot at LSU. He can recruit but he does nutty things and it seems that LSU often won despite him. He's also been criticized for having an offense that is stuck in the 80s.

McCarney is on Randy Peterson's list, but there is not a chance that happens.

I predict a hiring of a hot non-P5 head coach rather than a hot P5 OC. There seems to be a sense that the new coach needs to "know how to win" (though I think this is quite nebulous and not a legit criticism of the former coach).

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
            If you are an "up and comer," you would probably be willing to take an "entry level" salary of $2 mil in a conference with an average salary of $3.5 mil.
            Figure out how to win six games in year one, two or three and the AD is in the outer office with a better contract if you are willing to renegotiate and the fan base will adore you. They might even name a sandwich after you at Hickory Park.

It is not a long term gig, but a stepping stone, at least for anyone under 50.

Or - like Darrell Mudra or Eldon Miller did here - perhaps the chance to an experienced and once-successful coach who wants to build something before they retire to do that. Someone who already has a bank account, a second or third home and is no longer climbing the ladder. I think that would be well-received by the fans and school.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Is Tressel still under a show cause ban?

Comment

Also, the best thing that Rhoads did was emphasize JUCO recruitment (following the K-State vampire's model). However, the strength of long-term JUCO programs in the state of Kansas is amazing. Snyder didn't just decide to recruit JUCO's recently, he has built an entire system of JUCO farm clubs throughout the state.

Comment

Some of the names I'm hearing are:
                  Scott Frost - Oregon OC
                  Brady Hoke - Ex Michigan Coach
                  Jeff Brohm - WKU head coach
                  Tony Alford - Ohio St RB coach

Whoever it is, I hope they run a Power run style offense, not spread.
                  ISU was moving towards that after Mangino left and it was working. Ball control offense is what ISU needs. I also want to stay with the 3-4 defense.

Comment

I've heard Tony Alford over and over again. If that's the best Iowa State can do, the perception is even worse that I thought. Not quite Kansas-bad, but close.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post

Louisville - 6 - lost one coach to NFL and another to Texas. Current coach is coach that left for NFL
                      Kentucky - 6 - terrible program
                      North Carolina - 6 - between NCAA sanctions and not being good for a majority of ever this isn't shocking
                      Pitt - 6 - average P5 program
                      Indiana - 6 - terrible program
                      Kansas - 6 - terrible program
                      Nebraska - 5 - delusional fan base and administration
                      Arizona - 5 - largely not a great program
                      Stanford - 5 - prior to Harbaugh - who left for NFL - one of worst programs in the nation
                      UCLA - 5 - largely not a great program
                      Minnesota - 5 - what Kill did what a miracle. Historically terrible program
                      Alabama - 5 - I'd have to look at the circumstances around this
                      Arkansas - 5 - largley overrated conference. One coach was fired for an affair
                      Florida - 5 - Urban "retired" and replaced by a bad coach and who then fired. Anomaly for this list
                      Illinois - 5 - terrible program
                      Ole Miss - 5 - Until the last half decade or so largely a very average program
                      Baylor - 5 - See Ole Miss
                      Wisconsin - 5 - Barry Alverez was around 18 seasons and Bielema 7. You're reaching one. Gary Anderson got real homesick for the west coast and left to fill the void created by the next team's situation
                      Oregon St - 5 - Mike Rieley was there 14 years before going to Nebraska. Before that Ericson took a team with a win % of 18 the last 4 coaches and made them a winner during his 4 years.
                      I mean, you made an okay point.

You were really, really, reaching on that and stretching the idea of 2 decades. 2 decades is 20 years. More than a of those you listed have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years. You're reaching to the very early 90s or late 80s with some of those

Comment

If Hoke is on the short list you may has well have kept Rhoads. They both struggle with simple strategy, knowing down and distance, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                          Is Tressel still under a show cause ban?
                          He's the president of YSU. Boggles the mind.
                          "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                            He's the president of YSU. Boggles the mind.
                            Understood. But I have heard that the tattoo parlors in Ames are phenomenal...

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                              I mean, you made an okay point.

You were really, really, reaching on that and stretching the idea of 2 decades. 2 decades is 20 years. More than a of those you listed have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years. You're reaching to the very early 90s or late 80s with some of those
                              Every program I listed was from 1995-now. 2 decades. I guess you can add USC to the list, forgot about them.

There aren't many programs who have only had 2-3 coaches in the last 2 decades.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                                Every program I listed was from 1995-now. 2 decades. I guess you can add USC to the list, forgot about them.

There aren't many programs who have only had 2-3 coaches in the last 2 decades.
                                Wisconsin
                                Paul Cryst - 2015- present
                                Gary Anderson 2013-2014
                                Bret Belema 2006-2012
                                Barry Alverez 1990-2012 (did coach the 2012 and 2014 bowls)

Tell me where you got 5.

Southern Cal lost 2 coaches to the NFL, one got fired due to coaching while drunk, and one was an interim that didn't get the full time job.

I know the point your trying to make, but any kind of research shows that the programs are either terrible, lost coaches the NFL, or your numbers don't tell the full story.

Comment

Working...
                                X