WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Johnson - stay on topic, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
    From NFL.com

Most Touchdowns, Rookie, Season
    22 Gale Sayers, Chicago, 1965 (14-r, 6-p, 2-ret)
    20 Eric Dickerson, L.A. Rams, 1983 (18-r, 2-p)
    17 Randy Moss, Minnesota, 1998 (17-p)
    Fred Taylor, Jacksonville, 1998 (14-r, 3-p)
    Edgerrin James, Indianapolis, 1999 (13-r, 4-p)
    Clinton Portis, Denver, 2002 (15-r, 2-p)

A little early, but...
    Not to get off topic, but I'm pretty sure the NFL only played a 12 game season the year Gale Sayers set that insane record. I could look it up, but won't, so someone feel free to correct me if wrong. His career was cut short due to a blown knee, so it would be interesting to watch him in modern football with the benefit of modern medical technology.

Comment

Sayers was unreal - was a man among boys out there; he's one of the few guys I've seen on tape and thought, "yeah, defenses today still wouldn't have an answer for that guy".
      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
      - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
        Sayers was unreal - was a man among boys out there; he's one of the few guys I've seen on tape and thought, "yeah, defenses today still wouldn't have an answer for that guy".
        Agreed. You should also watch some film of Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch from the 50s. It's hard to compare eras and how they'd both do against modern athletes. But, both had the ability to cut on a dime at full speed. Both had some long TD runs where they ran 150 yards for an 80 yard TD due to cutting back against the grain several times to make guys miss. The only modern player I could compare either to would be Barry Sanders.

Comment

I regret that I didn't get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last weekend, but here is what I was hoping to see:

Comment

I've seen a picture like that several times, but that is still just surreal to me...
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

Comment

Is everyone forgetting Barry Sanders? Say what you want about all of the others "shiftiness," but Sanders could make his upper body go left and his lower body right. NO ONE did that like him.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                Is everyone forgetting Barry Sanders? Say what you want about all of the others "shiftiness," but Sanders could make his upper body go left and his lower body right. NO ONE did that like him.
                See my post a few up. Both Gale Sayers and Elroy Hirsch were taller, skinnier versions of Barry Sanders. The skinnier thing is probably nothing more than the differences and advances in weight training now as compared to then.

Back to topic...did DJ get many snaps other than short yardage? That's where he made all of his impact. Arizona's RBs all had great days yesterday.

Comment

"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

That's a good read. Thank you for posting. Great explanation and breakdown of DJ's abilities.

Comment

Wow. Super article. Makes DJ sound fantastic.

Loved the title of the article: "Who the hell is David Johnson and why is he scoring all the Cardinals' touchdowns?"

Comment

He has been the only bright spot on my fantasy team and I didn't even play him the first 2 weeks.
                        "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

looks like the NFL.com stattrack thing finally got the right picture for David Johnson.

Arizona is playing at Pittsburgh today.
                          DJ had about a 20 yard return on the opening kickoff, then an 8 yard carry later on in the 1st qtr to pick up a first down.

Cardinals currently up 7-0

Comment

Damn, two touches without scoring, hurts his average.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Arizona hosts Baltimore on Monday Night Football.
                              hopefully David Johnson can make some highlights on national TV

Comment

David whiffed in pass protection leading to a sack and a field goal of 54 yards for the Cardinals.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X