WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beers Sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beers Sales?

The real question is with the new AD that comes from a school that allows re-entry--

Are halftime beers back??
    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
      Feature beers from Iowa or UNI grads (Goose Island is now owned by InBev but it was Waterloo native/UNI grad John Hall who founded it and built; Excelesior Brewing in the western burbs of the Twin Cities is run and I think founded by two UNI grads; isn't SingleSpeed a UNI grad?).
      I've never met John Hall, but I think he's still pseudo involved somehow with Goose Island. It's kind of a shame a bunch of corporate D bags (they also own Budweiser I believe) now own a good craft brewery, but you can't blame him for cashing out. I know a few of the creative, brewmaster types there went on to other similar Chicagoland ventures, so his people did OK I think.

I like the "feature beers by alumni" idea. The research could be done by spending several hours at the Iowa Tap Room in the East Village.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
        Feature beers from Iowa or UNI grads (Goose Island is now owned by InBev but it was Waterloo native/UNI grad John Hall who founded it and built; Excelesior Brewing in the western burbs of the Twin Cities is run and I think founded by two UNI grads; isn't SingleSpeed a UNI grad?).

Wow. I didn't know that a local UNI guy was behind Goose Island. I actually knew about the "island" in Chicago before I knew about the beer.

Glad to hear about all these UNI grads involved in the craft beer world. Thanks. It will definitely affect my choices and conversations at bars! It is a great way to get into talking about UNI.

Comment

The island you mention is just that. The turnaround point in the Chicago River for huge steamships used to be right by there.

Comment

A 16oz draw of bud costs something like 5 cents an ounce. Craft beers not much more.. You can really rake in the cash, especially if you charge ballpark prices.

Comment

This article misrepresents the situation in Minnesota. They basically broke even in year one. They've made money ever since and keep expanding point of sale and offerings each season. Now some of that was helped by the fact that Vikings rented out TCF for two years and needed more POS areas. But still, every indication is that the demand is there and the money is real.

Also, the Dome is already capable of of selling beer since they do so for other events like concerts so some of the "issues" are taken care of.

I agree with those that say this is a no brainer. I wouldn't even care if they cordoned off one of end zone areas for sales.

I wouldn't hold out for much in the way of local/craft beer, however. In fact I'm guessing there is already a beer vendor contracted with the Dome that has rights.
              Last edited by UNI MadCat; 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                I'd like to see them test this out at a game this year.

I'd say Missouri State but that's Family Weekend so probably not the best time to "break the seal" on beer sales.

Maybe the South Dakota State game on Nov 19th.

Try it on a limited basis and see how it goes. See how the logistics work out. What kind of demand there is.

That will give you an ability to gauge if you can manage the logistics of the sales process, manage excess consumption, potential revenue and fan reaction. But you've done it as a pilot so you haven't committed to anything good or bad.

Would be a great promotional opportunity for a local brewer like Single Speed or one of the other dozens of brewers in Iowa to highlight their brand. Or ask one of the local Bud or Miller distributors to do a promotion and cut you a deal.
                To me this would just set it up for failure. I think if you're going to do this, you go all in or nothing. The amount of planning is the same for one game vs all of the games. And if you just take a random game -- especially if its not the first game -- not enough people will know about it. And the school can't really actively promote it -- even if the climate is changing, you can't advertise it as "the Beer game".

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
                  To me this would just set it up for failure. I think if you're going to do this, you go all in or nothing. The amount of planning is the same for one game vs all of the games. And if you just take a random game -- especially if its not the first game -- not enough people will know about it. And the school can't really actively promote it -- even if the climate is changing, you can't advertise it as "the Beer game".
                  Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally I'd want to have some experience with how this is working in reality...demand, operations, fan reaction...before I committed to something that can be so controversial.

I think it would be relatively easy to promote this ahead of time.
                  Last edited by Blue42; 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                  X