WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tressel Out at OSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tressel Out at OSU

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
    I dont agree with that statement but even so how is turning a blind eye to that sort of thing "better" than some of the other stuff we've seen recently. It's still a disgrace to the integrity of college athletics.
    because he didnt pay $200,000 to get a star QB and win a national title.

look at the names mentioned....all of them would have ended up at tOSU regardless of any extra benefits, and pryor was getting some bennies whereever he went whether it was football or hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post

look at the names mentioned....all of them would have ended up at tOSU regardless of any extra benefits, and pryor was getting some bennies whereever he went whether it was football or hoops.
      I heard Barry Switzer say basically the same thing. My opinion, that line of thinking is BS. Enforce the rules as written. If the system is broke, then change the rules in the future, but enforce what's there now.

Tressel being forced out probably means it's a smoke/fire situation. It also probably gives more credibility to whatever dirt was dug up by SI. This situation with the car dealers could really come back to bite them.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
        I heard Barry Switzer say basically the same thing. My opinion, that line of thinking is BS. Enforce the rules as written. If the system is broke, then change the rules in the future, but enforce what's there now.

Tressel being forced out probably means it's a smoke/fire situation. It also probably gives more credibility to whatever dirt was dug up by SI. This situation with the car dealers could really come back to bite them.
        thats not what i was arguing. i was saying that i personally dont lump tressell in with the cam newtons/caliparis in the world of cheating

Comment

Allowing players to break rules, like taking illegal gifts from donors, etc...and not reporting it, is still pretty bad. Covering up something like that just so that those players can continue to win you games is very disappointing. May not be the worst offense in college sports but you shouldn't allow something to go unpunished just because it isn't the worst offense.

Comment

I really like the comparison to Nixon and Watergate. Truthfully if Nixon would have stepped up after Watergate happened and explained to the U.S. what happened he would have probably been alright and kept his job. The covering up of Watergate is what eventually led him to resign as the President. I think Tressel would have came forward when things happened and not lied to the NCAA, he would have been punished, but he would still be the coach in Columbus.

Comment

remember, tressel was still the new guy when this all came out with Clarett. there probably was actually a point when he "didnt know who to call". it was obviously going on far before he got there.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                I really like the comparison to Nixon and Watergate. Truthfully if Nixon would have stepped up after Watergate happened and explained to the U.S. what happened he would have probably been alright and kept his job. The covering up of Watergate is what eventually led him to resign as the President. I think Tressel would have came forward when things happened and not lied to the NCAA, he would have been punished, but he would still be the coach in Columbus.
                He might still be the coach, but his program is potentially going to get hit with hefty penalties over the car dealership stuff. Penalties that might take awhile to recover from. Tats are one thing, sweatheart deals on cars for players and their familes is another.

Comment

remember, tressel was still the new guy when this all came out with Clarett. there probably was actually a point when he "didnt know who to call". it was obviously going on far before he got there.
                  Clarett came in after Tressel...not the other way around.

Saying you don't know who to report NCAA violations to at a NCAA school...when you're the head coach and been coaching since the 80's....is like blaming drug use and alcohol abuse on concussions. It's just fracking stupid.

I believe each school in the NCAA has an employee that is actually is called the "Compliance Director"....seems pretty self explanitory to me.

Or he could just go to the AD, and he certainly would know where to go with it.

Comment

As big as Ohio State's Athletic Department is I would bet that they have one specifically for the football team. Tressel has done a great job of playing the lovable sweater wearing figure for a long time, when for a long time his has been playing outside of the rules, I would suspect that some of this happened at Youngstown to a smaller scale. You know since he left there the Penguins have beaten the Panthers.

Comment

I know clarett came after. You are missing my point.

Tressel walked into a established history of boosters and players exchanging perks and benefits at one of the biggest programs in the universe. To me Looking the other way is much less serious than auburn straight up paying cash for a player and then winning a title.

Comment

Read the article 9yr. Tressel did not simply "look the other way".

He facilitated a lot of the wrongdoings by the football teams/programs that he has lead throughout his entire career.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                          Read the article 9yr. Tressel did not simply "look the other way".

He facilitated a lot of the wrongdoings by the football teams/programs that he has lead throughout his entire career.
                          +1 yeah it gives some really good insight into the situation. You're too caught up on the whole Cam Newton thing and which one is worse. No one cares about that anymore, Newtons gone, his dad is a git, Chizik is a dou**er and soon everything will be right with the world and Chizik will be back to losing. Tressel has been covering stuff up for years, allowing players to play in games that could've altered seasons for OSU and their opponents, won them conference championships and bowl games to bring in some serious cash and recruits and start the whole cycle again.

Comment

The thing that cracks me up about all of this is how un-believably naive some of you are to think this stuff doesn't go on in EVERY college town across the country. Maybe not to this extent, but it happens everywhere. Is Tressel to blame? Sure, but the car dealers are to blame too, the tatoo parlor owners too. They are the ones that have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

To say this has altered others season and abilities to win conference titles is silly. This happens in IC, Ames, even Cedar Falls. Again, not to this extent but there are "perks" to every single program in America. Maybe not facilitated by the coach mind you, but perks everywhere. It might be as simple as having a $85 pizza a beer tab wiped out at the OP on a Saturday night after a game, to getting "sweat heart" deals on cars at dealerships.

All of these people in the community want to be part of something in communities like Columbus, Iowa City, and yes even Cedar Falls. The people that need to have things looked at are the local businesses, AND the coaches.

Things got too big in Columbus so obvisously things start being looked at with fine tooth combs, things have gotten big in Iowa City in the last 7-8 years, look at all the people who have been picking through that program since then. You think there haven't been football players committing crimes in IC before then? Sure, but now success rings and people open their eyes a little bit. Its not that players at Illinois haven't committed crimes or rules violations in the last decade, its that no body cares because they aren't relevant. Things go wrong in Cedar Falls, Ames, Youngstown, all over, people don't care about these places so no one is willing to do the dirty work of writing the "Farley must be fired" article...
                            Last edited by jegbomb52; 06-01-2011, 05:09 AM.
                            Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Been a while since my last PN rant, that felt good...
                              Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

It isn't the crime that bothers me that much, as I realize this type of thing happens pretty much everywhere. The thing that bothers me is the scale of it, and the cover up. The cover up is always worse than the crime. Especially given Tressels history

Comment

Working...
                                X