WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Kobe king commits to Wisconsin.

Comment

The new info on King reminds me of another 2017 kid.

We are nearing one year of UNI offering Austin Phyfe. I'm starting to get nervous that he won't end up here. I've been saying for years (literally), that UNI tends to move on after guys have scholarship offers for one year. You've seen it with guys like Carson Shanks, Estan Tyler, Kale Abrahamson, and several others. The post closer to the top of this page says UNI offered Sept 29th. That's two weeks from now. Let's hope we see Austin realize that UNI is a good fit and one where his family has seen good success (father and sister).
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Phyfe is one I've been nervous about. Waverly is the biggest Hawk town this side of Iowa City and I'm worried he ends up at Iowa, even though he's a great fit here.
        #MACtion

Comment

Saw a couple of twitter updates from Ryan James who writes for the Minnesota rivals.

Looks like we are showing continued interest in Goanar Mar although I know he is getting some more interest/offers from power 5 schools now.

Also, two more Minnesota names I haven't seen seen before in Trae Berhow and Gabe Kalscheur we appear to be interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
            The new info on King reminds me of another 2017 kid.

We are nearing one year of UNI offering Austin Phyfe. I'm starting to get nervous that he won't end up here. I've been saying for years (literally), that UNI tends to move on after guys have scholarship offers for one year. You've seen it with guys like Carson Shanks, Estan Tyler, Kale Abrahamson, and several others. The post closer to the top of this page says UNI offered Sept 29th. That's two weeks from now. Let's hope we see Austin realize that UNI is a good fit and one where his family has seen good success (father and sister).

Really expecting Phyfe to commit to UNI. Purple runs deep in that family.

Comment

Hopefully he commits before UNI moves on...
              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

We currently have three offers out there to fill two, possibly three spots. I think we'll keep this offer open for a bit longer than normal.

Comment

Rarely will UNI pull an offer (usually it's just that the offer got accepted by someone else...which most likely happened with Jordan Bohannon once McCloud committed). However, until now, Phyfe has been the only center that UNI has offered in 2017. It's coming up on one year which is typically when the staff seems to move on (from what has been documented historically). The offer will most likely stand until it's taken by another post player, but I would imagine you'll start seeing more offers start coming out to post players soon because you just can't wait all day long. At this point, you know the program, you know what the scholarship matrix looks like, and you either like the fit or you don't. That's what it seems like with UNI historically at the one year mark. Plenty have passed up on that opportunity only to end up elsewhere (typically they transfer later) while UNI finds guys who want to be here and have low turnover/transfer rates. I hope a local kid like Phyfe comes to UNI and thrives.
                  Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 09-18-2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                    Rarely will UNI pull an offer (usually it's just that the offer got accepted by someone else...which most likely happened with Jordan Bohannon once McCloud committed). However, until now, Phyfe has been the only center that UNI has offered in 2017. It's coming up on one year which is typically when the staff seems to move on (from what has been documented historically). The offer will most likely stand until it's taken by another post player, but I would imagine you'll start seeing more offers start coming out to post players soon because you just can't wait all day long. At this point, you know the program, you know what the scholarship matrix looks like, and you either like the fit or you don't. That's what it seems like with UNI historically at the one year mark. Plenty have passed up on that opportunity only to end up elsewhere (typically they transfer later) while UNI finds guys who want to be here and have low turnover/transfer rates. I hope a local kid like Phyfe comes to UNI and thrives.
                    That part. It's not like Phfyfe doesn't understand what the program, the city, the staff, etc... are like. Everyone is well aware of the connections and how well he knows/should know where and how he fits. If after this long of having an offer, with all he already knows, there's reason to believe he isn't going to be in purple

Comment

Bet it's because IOWA's chirping in this kids ear. For some reason Fran has been going after a lot of in-state kids lately. Seems UNI offers a kid and their lurking in the shadows, or maybe my tin foil hat is broken.

Phfyfe hopefully figures it out soon. Otherwise, UNI probably should be looking/offering Bigs from Minnesota, Wisconsin, even Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                        Steve was a good player, and good guy. He was a good athlete, and had some serious "hops". Overall, a very good compliment to Reese down low. If his son has some of the same traits, then he'll more of a Buss like player than Jason Reese, Gruber, etc.
                        From a guy who was there when it happened ...

Steve Phyfe was part of a tremendous group of athletes who turned Northern Iowa from a wanna be to the beginnings of a force in college basketball. You never, ever saw Steve Phyfe as a burden on the court, as a drag on the team, playing in a lack-luster manner. He just happened to come from a small school (immaterial) and excelled at UNI.
                        "Try being more of the solution, and less of the problem."

Comment

Phyfe did leave the state first before coming to UNI though. I really think Austin is a great fit at UNI do hopefully he comes here. He's got a chance to have a real nice career at UNI.

Comment

Austin has offers from North Dakota (Brian Jones was a freshman when Steve was a senior) and Air Force. Not exactly power schools. I wonder if our offer was initially a 4 for 5 and he's waiting to see if he gets a full.
                            Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                            Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                            UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Myles hanson has received an offer from UNI per verbal commits

Comment

Caleb Bennett offered by UNI. 6'4" wing out of St. Joes,Missouri

Comment

Working...
                                X