WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
    Could we possibly have our next O'Rear Factor in Marvin? We could use another emotional leader like that. Honestly idk who that next guy is otherwise, AJ maybe?

Seems like he has the energy and size of O'Rear but MUCH more skilled than O'Rear. Don't get me wrong, I loved O'Rear, but Singleton is more athletic, better leaper, better shooter, more crafty offensively, etc. Just really no comparison, in my opinion, between the two when it comes to skill/upside.

Doesn't seem anything like AJ..

Very hard to compare him to anyone... he will be someone unlike we have had before.... closest, if we HAVE to compare, is probably coleman.. but Singleton seems to shoot better than Eric ever did.
    Last edited by pantherfan4ever; 06-23-2011, 07:09 AM.
    John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by pantherfan4ever View Post
      Seems like he has the energy and size of O'Rear but MUCH more skilled than O'Rear. Don't get me wrong, I loved O'Rear, but Singleton is more athletic, better leaper, better shooter, more crafty offensively, etc. Just really no comparison, in my opinion, between the two when it comes to skill/upside.

Doesn't seem anything like AJ..

Very hard to compare him to anyone... he will be someone unlike we have had before.... closest, if we HAVE to compare, is probably coleman.. but Singleton seems to shoot better than Eric ever did.
      I was comparing him only for that emotional aspect (the energy and hustle, doing the little things). I don't think anyone would try to argue that Singleton won't end being the more athletic basketball player. I was simply asking if anyone thinks that Singleton will be able to take up that role as an emotional leader because of those same attributes. If not, who do you guys think will be that leader.

Comment

Tuttle

Comment

I could definitely see that too, probably a bit more O'Rear-like for pf4ever's liking too

Comment

I don't know if you're just talking big fellas, but in my mind energy and hustle goes to Moran. They guy is always diving and giving 110%. As the lone senior, he will be the leader this year.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Oh of course, but I was thinking more long term with the guys we have coming in. Johnny's the unquestioned leader this year and his motor never stops....I guess I was really vague on what I meant earlier. Sorry guys.

Comment

So I just took a quick look at the UNI athletic site and they have the updated roster for the basketball team and they have Marvin listed at 6'6" and 235 pounds! Just wondering what is hieght really is, I've seen it at 6'4", 6'5", and now 6'6"? The only reason I can see him red-shirting is to work on his offensive ability. Side note, they have Buss listed at 205 which means they put on about 20 on that kid, and it shows. He looks much bigger in the ptl highlights than he did coming out of high school. They had him listed at 190 which I think was a reach. But thats what you come to expect with a top notch weight facilities!

Comment

GIFSoup

Nice...

Comment

It is really hard to say who our vocal leader will be this year.... Last year O'Rear and Kwadzo took that on their shoulders and were GREAT about keeping the younger guys in check. They were not afraid to talk on and off the court and lead by example. We really don't have a vocal guy like that left on this team. I am not saying we won't have one, just not one that has surfaced yet. AJ is really quiet and more of a leader by example (which isn't bad at all!) but we will need a vocal leader to step up... Jake isn't that type of leader either. If anyone does, I picture it being Moran for this coming year. He is an emotional player and a senior that the younger guys will look up too.

In the future, I picture that leader being Tuttle. Other guys may step up, but seeing the guys on campus this summer, it seems they are all pretty reserved/quiet except for Tuttle. Just seeing him on campus this summer and the way he lead his HS team, I could see him becoming that type of guy. I'm not expecting that this year as he is still very young and needs time to mature, but if the older guys and coaching staff keep pushing him, he could become that guy.

Comment

Morrison. Kid has the demeanor of a leader. I keep comparing him to McKowen because they seemed to have the same demeanor on the court. No DOUBT Brooks was a great leader. I'm going to miss the frustrated eye rolls and neck snaps of Kwadzo when people were out of position.

Comment

Originally posted by jnutt View Post
                        Morrison. Kid has the demeanor of a leader. I keep comparing him to McKowen because they seemed to have the same demeanor on the court. No DOUBT Brooks was a great leader. I'm going to miss the frustrated eye rolls and neck snaps of Kwadzo when people were out of position.
                        I don't know much about Morrison... will he ever see the floor?

Comment

Morrison is an absolute winner and probably the toughest guy on the team. Won something like seven different high school state championships.

Not sure how many minutes he will get going forward, due to talent level, but every program needs a Matt Morrison to make everybody better every day in practice. The Brooks McKowen comparison is pretty accurate in terms of toughness. The program is just so far ahead of where it was four years ago...
                          #MACtion

Comment

Morrison is more of a Brian Haak, don't think he will see the floor much and as such won't be much of an on the court leader. I expect Moran will be that guy this year and next year I'd guess it could be Sonnen or Jake.

Comment

Originally posted by PFan23 View Post
                              Morrison is more of a Brian Haak, don't think he will see the floor much and as such won't be much of an on the court leader. I expect Moran will be that guy this year and next year I'd guess it could be Sonnen or Jake.
                              I don't see Jake ever being that vocal guy but could see Sonnen. He was pretty vocal at times during this past season. He is also fairly well known for being vocal with his teammates during practice and off the court. We'll see I guess.. no matter what, someone will step up and we will be just fine. These guys are extremely talented and great kids! Very excited to see the Panthers play the next few years!

Comment

From listening to Rima's show, and his interviews with coaches in the PTL, it sounds like Chip Rank may be the guy. His PTL coach is VERY impressed and really can't say enough good things about Chip.

Comment

Working...
                                X