WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football Recruitment of my Nephew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Recruitment of my Nephew

How do I get my nephew on the UNI recruitment radar? He is a rising HS Junior who has already gotten offers from a few MAC and AAC schools to play QB and is getting attention from some Big 10 schools. I would love for him to play for UNI. He is going to be in town a few weeks for a visit and I would love it if he got to throw for a UNI coach. Is there anything I can do other than just send an email to the coaches with a link to his videos?

There is a section on the unipanthers website about expressing interest. It is really setup for the student to submit, rather than an interested party (on the student's behalf).

Having him attend a sports camp at school (under his intended position coach) is the best idea. The opportunity to plant a seed with the coach regarding his work ethic or a chalkboard session will impress more than a heavily edited huddle video.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

Re: Football Recruitment of my Nephew

Send a PM to AmesPanther, or someone like PTTB or Born A Panther. While they may not have direct links to the coaches, they probably know of a PN member or two who does. I had a similar situation with a coworker's son. This kid didn't live in traditional UNI recruiting territory, but was nonetheless interested in the school. Since he wasn't on the coaches' radar, they asked if I could help. Since it sounds like your nephew is in a similar geographic situation, I'd recommend that kind of warm intro.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
        There is a section on the unipanthers website about expressing interest. It is really setup for the student to submit, rather than an interested party (on the student's behalf).

Having him attend a sports camp at school (under his intended position coach) is the best idea. The opportunity to plant a seed with the coach regarding his work ethic or a chalkboard session will impress more than a heavily edited huddle video.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
        Contact whoever you feel necessary. Trapped just gave you the green light special for exposure. If he wants to go to UNI, go to a UNI Football camp. Same for Alabama, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois State, doesn't matter. You can go to as many "recruiting camps" as you want. Send out as many tapes as you want, make as many phone calls as you want. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is as effective as getting on campus and attending a camp.

If the UNI football staff (or any college for that matter) took the time to break NCAA rules and work out a sixteen year old kid whose uncle thought they were good and said they had multiple offers already they would spend eight hours a day doing it. Everyone knows someone who is going to be the next big thing. Not a knock on your or saying your lying, the stories are just a dime a dozen that pan out about 4% of the time.

Who is your nephew by the way? Is he from around here?
        Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

I will say the sports camp is a two way street.

My nephew went to the Cyclone's FB camp for two years (along with about 8 others for Big 10, Big 12, Ivy league, MVFC). He stated that the camps were "totally f****d up" in the sense of day to day, per drill organization. The view he walked away from the exposure to the Cyclone program was that the were lucky to win the 2-3 games a year they manage.

He also was able to check out the facilities, campus and overall vibe. A couple places were scratched off his possible landing spot just because of the personality of the position coach / coaching staff. Better to know before than after you sign the national letter of intent (unless you are Doug McDermott...).

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post

If the UNI football staff (or any college for that matter) took the time to break NCAA rules and work out a sixteen year old kid whose uncle thought they were good and said they had multiple offers already they would spend eight hours a day doing it. Everyone knows someone who is going to be the next big thing. Not a knock on your or saying your lying, the stories are just a dime a dozen that pan out about 4% of the time.

Who is your nephew by the way? Is he from around here?

Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't been thinking about potential recruiting violations, but I'm glad to learn about them. Would it really be a violation?

He has been to several camps at MAC and Big 10 schools. And he has a few offers posted on Scout. I waited until I saw the offers posted before I took the stories seriously myself. There are more cool stories about attention he is getting, but they haven't led to offers yet, so I'm not mentioning them. My hope is to get him interested in UNI (and UNI interested in him) since he will be in Iowa anyway for a few days later this month.

Comment

It appears that UNI has camps only in May and June. So, it looks like it will have to be next year for the camps.

Comment

Hey I would just suggest getting a UNI tour and let him see the campus and facilities. If he is slightly interested then let him send his information. That should not be a violation, as thousands take campus tours whether they are athletes or not.
                G-N-D

Comment

What's his name? It's not a big deal to say who it is, there's millions of online posts about recruits it won't be a violation. Good luck
                  UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
                    What's his name? It's not a big deal to say who it is, there's millions of online posts about recruits it won't be a violation. Good luck

What? You think I'm giving his name to the biggest troll in NCAA sports? No way.

And if he ended up at NDSU, I'm not sure we could keep him in the family!

Comment

Working...
                    X