WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offer Mr. Green! Class of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Offer Mr. Green! Class of 2018

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
    Most juniors in high school simply don't have a clue on what college they want to attend. My guess is he will decide this summer. I'm also hoping he decides that he wants to be an elementary teacher as well.

I agree with several others that I'm really only worried if a big time program comes knocking. Wisconsin has a 4 star guard in front of him already committed. I can't imagine they're going after him hard or even want him since that position is filled. They only have one other scholarship available. But, that can change quickly if someone leaves like Gasser a few years ago.

I wonder what his goals are. If the NBA, I contend that you may actually hurt yourself by going to a blueblood school because you get lost in the crowd of McDonalds All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
      Most juniors in high school simply don't have a clue on what college they want to attend. My guess is he will decide this summer. I'm also hoping he decides that he wants to be an elementary teacher as well.

I agree with several others that I'm really only worried if a big time program comes knocking. Wisconsin has a 4 star guard in front of him already committed. I can't imagine they're going after him hard or even want him since that position is filled. They only have one other scholarship available. But, that can change quickly if someone leaves like Gasser a few years ago.
      His parents have to be advocates of choosing Stanford. I don't care what his dad does for a living. Getting that kind of degree, paid for, with the future opportunities/connections it offers is damn near too good to pass up. Per your point, he may not appreciate it, but many of the adults around him do.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
        Looking at Verbal Commits, we have one offer on PGs for the classes of '17 and '18. AJ.
        So for the 19/20 season, we'll have a senior PG in Juwan and a sorta PG in Spencer.

IF we're not getting AJ, then it would seem that we better recruit a PG from that '18 class.
        Matt Mimms from Xavier was up there for a visit a few weeks ago.
        "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Stanford just got a commitment from a 4 star combo guard out of California. I'm not even sure there's still an offer there.

Two months ago, I had gotten pretty pessimistic, but with Wisky and Stanford seemingly out of the running, I feel much better.

Another angle on this is making sure that Jamey Johnson and the Barnstormers are taken care of. Those programs thrive on getting kids by telling them that they've had this guy and this guy offered by this big program and this big program. Jake is pretty buddy/buddy with Jamey (his boys are in the program, the younger one is a stud) and anything Jake can do to make Jamey happy so that Jamey can keep the pipeline open only helps both sides.

I mean, look at the kids we've gotten out of that program. We're well over a dozen and there are some big names there: Washpun, Tuttle, Buss, Haldeman, Morgan, Phyfe, etc...
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            Stanford just got a commitment from a 4 star combo guard out of California. I'm not even sure there's still an offer there.

Two months ago, I had gotten pretty pessimistic, but with Wisky and Stanford seemingly out of the running, I feel much better.

Another angle on this is making sure that Jamey Johnson and the Barnstormers are taken care of. Those programs thrive on getting kids by telling them that they've had this guy and this guy offered by this big program and this big program. Jake is pretty buddy/buddy with Jamey (his boys are in the program, the younger one is a stud) and anything Jake can do to make Jamey happy so that Jamey can keep the pipeline open only helps both sides.

I mean, look at the kids we've gotten out of that program. We're well over a dozen and there are some big names there: Washpun, Tuttle, Buss, Haldeman, Morgan, Phyfe, etc...
            Did Stanford ever actually offer? I thought there was just interest from Stanford and Wisconsin.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Does mister Green Jr have a serious GF?

One of my former bosses had a son that was accepted into Harvard on an academic scholarship, and was also going to happen to play OL. The son ended up picking then IAA/FCS Central Florida, because in part that is where his girlfriend was going. Mom & Dad, while liking the girlfriend (now wife, I believe), were obviously disappointed in him not going to Harvard.

Then there is the whole relationship with Dad (& Mom to a lesser extend in this case). Having your Dad involved in almost every bit of your college years' activities may be a bit much. Who knows. I love my Dad, but did I want him knowing everything that went on in college - no way.

Point being, life is a ton more complicated that which school has the best national reputation for BB, academics, weather, etc. I hope that the young Mr Green makes the best long term decision for him, and to a lesser degree, his family. Maybe he has a dream to be an accountant or elementary school teacher. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                Jake will advise what's in his best interest? You do realize Jake has a vested agenda in this, that may not coincide with the players'? If AJ is like most decent recruits, his interest involves playing at the best program he can, in the highest level conference. That doesn't necessarily align with Jake's self interest, but so be it. Ultimately, it's all about what the player feels would be his best move, with some help from his parents. Jake though, seems like the type that won't hold it against him if he chose Iowa State or above for basketball reasons, or Stanford for academics.
                in essence, that is exactly what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post

One of my former bosses had a son that was accepted into Harvard on an academic scholarship, and was also going to happen to play OL. The son ended up picking then IAA/FCS Central Florida, because in part that is where his girlfriend was going. Mom & Dad, while liking the girlfriend (now wife, I believe), were obviously disappointed in him not going to Harvard.

Then there is the whole relationship with Dad (& Mom to a lesser extend in this case). Having your Dad involved in almost every bit of your college years' activities may be a bit much. Who knows. I love my Dad, but did I want him knowing everything that went on in college - no way.

Point being, life is a ton more complicated that which school has the best national reputation for BB, academics, weather, etc. I hope that the young Mr Green makes the best long term decision for him, and to a lesser degree, his family. Maybe he has a dream to be an accountant or elementary school teacher. Who knows?
                  Central Florida is FBS

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                    Central Florida is FBS
                    He said "Then FCS"

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                      Central Florida is FBS
                      Didn't used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post

This is a good question.

Reminds me of an SEC college gymnast talking about how the football coach trying to talk about her boyfriend signing with them by calling her everyday . . . during a dead period.

Comment

I think it's been mentioned Purdue has reached out to AJ but now you can add Ohio State...

Comment

AJ had a pretty awful substate final game tonight. Hopefully that scares everyone else away..

Comment

I kind of feel like he's going to sign on signing day, which I believe is in November. I just have a hard time seeing him drag it out. It'll be interesting to see what offers come his way this coming AAU season.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                                AJ had a pretty awful substate final game tonight. Hopefully that scares everyone else away..

I heard Jacobson was at the game. I was there, didn't see Jake.
                                AJ was faced guarded the whole night with a defender picking him up at half court. AJ couldn't get an open jump shot the whole night.
                                For AAU ball and especially college he won't get that kind of attention defensively, or the other team will lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X