WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uni wbb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uni wbb

Originally posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I fully agree with that panthergirl123. These women athletes are doing a great job. I enjoyed many games on ESPN3 when I could not attend. The Panther women have proven themselves both on the court and in the classroom. Drake is going to be a very tough opponent again. I have concerns the Panthers will be overlooked for a NCAA bid if they don't win this afternoon. I am also not sure coach Warren gets the recognition she deserves.
    Agree that UNI coaching staff runs a heck of a program.

Lots of W's and I believe the collective GPA is a gaudy 3.61.

Check me on this...But I think that program has ranked in the top 10% in the academic progress rankings for 10 years straight. That's salty.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Hopefully the selection committee looks kindly at the Panthers.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
        Hopefully the selection committee looks kindly at the Panthers.
        Seems like a tough resume to leave out, but I won't hold my breath.
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

UNI had a heck of a time scoring anything in the second half/OT. I'm guessing Drake's defense had alot to do with that (was on the opposite side of the court from me that half, and I'm fairly clueless when it comes to basketball anyway).

Still, the Panthers definitely made a game of it.

Don't know which side of the bubble UNI will end up. Good resume, but aside from Drake and UNI, the rest of the conference is dead weight for RPI.

If they don't get into the tourney, I'd have to think that they'd be a lock for the WNIT. But I don't know how the financials work for that on the womens side. Would UNI have to turn down a bid because of costs, or does the NCAA subsidize the WNIT similar to how they do the NIT?

Comment

Radio man said that #2 in a conference is guaranteed a spot in the WNIT. Sounds OK to me. Panthers could have won if Abby Gerrits could have played. Needed to win in regulation - we were getting tired.

We played three good games. Angie Davison stepped up big. A very fun team to watch.

With Ellie Herzberg, Abby, Mikaela Morgan, Megan Maahs, and two other posts back we should have another contender next year. We need a point guard. Kennedy Kirkpatrick can do it if she works on her off-hand. She looked good against the lesser teams.

Comment

IMHO we need a true post also. Another Jen Keitel would be just fine. Hagen is the tallest returning player at 6'1", and that might be pushing it. Maas is a power forward and needs to stay there. Drake has Jonas back for two more seasons, plus about half their roster is 6'0" guard/forward types, plus they have two bigs returning that missed this season with injuries.

Simon-Ressler didn't play much but looked OK when she was in. I wonder if we might have Herzberg play some point also?

Comment

I hope they get in.

At bare minimum, they've earned a couple WNIT home games.
                #MACtion

Comment

Had we belonged to a more highly-regarded conference, I suspect we'd almost certainly be in as an at-large. But unlike VB, the MVC has never gotten one than 1 WBB team in AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                    Had we belonged to a more highly-regarded conference, I suspect we'd almost certainly be in as an at-large. But unlike VB, the MVC has never gotten one than 1 WBB team in AFAIK.
                    2013 Wichita State (AQ), Creighton (at-large)
                    and the MVC also had 2 bids in '02, '01, '00, '99, '98, '95, '94, '92, and '86

Comment

Today's game attendance was close to 2,500. That was the highest attendance for a championship game since moving to a neutral court location.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                        2013 Wichita State (AQ), Creighton (at-large)
                        and the MVC also had 2 bids in '02, '01, '00, '99, '98, '95, '94, '92, and '86
                        Arrgh, I don't remember any of those. I'm not doubting you, but where do you research that? I do remember one year when ISURed under Pingleton beat Drake in the championship, but pretty sure Drake did not get an at-large.

Anyway, it's good news for us that the precedent has been set. As the TV folks and Drake coach have said, our resume *should* be good enough to get in.

ETA - Google is my friend
                        Last edited by in_the_stands; 03-13-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Interesting end to regulation. On uni's final possession drake had five fouls to give, they could have made it very difficult for uni to get a good look. On drakes final possession of regulation uni had three fouls to give, they also could have made it very difficult for Drake to get a shot off.

At least I read a tweet that said those were the foul situations.

I am a fan of fouling when you have fouls to give and when the other team needs a three at the end.

Comment

End of regulation was a heartbreaker. Maahs could not have defended her any better, she just made a great play.

I tend to agree that all of those fouls on both sides should have been used...
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                              Interesting end to regulation. On uni's final possession drake had five fouls to give, they could have made it very difficult for uni to get a good look. On drakes final possession of regulation uni had three fouls to give, they also could have made it very difficult for Drake to get a shot off.

At least I read a tweet that said those were the foul situations.

I am a fan of fouling when you have fouls to give and when the other team needs a three at the end.
                              That doesn't sound right. I was there, but don't recall the exact amounts. I thought we had 4 fouls (next one was a shooting foul). Drake had not been CALLED for many fouls, but I don't think they had gone the whole fourth quarter without any being CALLED. Had one or two. Had they fouled us, then we could have played for the last shot, rather than giving them time for their shot. Megan did a good job without jumping and potentially getting a foul called on Drake's last shot. They barely got it off in time. We are a well coached and/or smart players team! Ellie's 3 to put us ahead was just crazy good.
                              Last edited by '70 Grad; 03-13-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Really hoping not, but it's looking like we may be one of the first teams left out of the Dance. If that's the case, you'd like to think a majority of the WNIT games could be played at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X