WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guilty Pleasure: Iowa vs Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about others but I really hate it when someone makes a comment like "we all know so-and-so is going to win by at least 35 pts" At least provide some reasoning for this analysis.
    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by sauserj View Post
      I don't know about others but I really hate it when someone makes a comment like "we all know so-and-so is going to win by at least 35 pts" At least provide some reasoning for this analysis.

I'm really not trying to be a Hawkeye jerk here, but Iowa is a team that some people are mentioning as having a shot at a National Championship. Montana is not a team capable of winning at that level.

I'm not saying Iowa is that good, but they need to have the worst day in their history, complete with Montana playing perfectly, to lose this game.

FWIW, I think Iowa is an all-or-nothing deal this year. They're either going to be near the top of the nation, or painfully average.

Comment

I'm sorry for this rant but this is one topic that pisses me off and I fail to ever understand it. All I heard last year over and over and over and over (you get the point) was how the hawks were going to be contending for a National Championship. Oh and how Tate was going to win the heisman. We all know how those turned out. I agree it's not likely for a Montana victory, especially with their stud RB out but its hardly impossible.

Montana will definetly have to bring their A+ game but the hawks playing their worst game in history is not required for Montana to win. Take away UNI's turnovers and that game in IC last year would have been much different.
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by sauserj View Post
          I'm sorry for this rant but this is one topic that pisses me off and I fail to ever understand it. All I heard last year over and over and over and over (you get the point) was how the hawks were going to be contending for a National Championship. Oh and how Tate was going to win the heisman. We all know how those turned out. I agree it's not likely for a Montana victory, especially with their stud RB out but its hardly impossible.

Montana will definetly have to bring their A+ game but the hawks playing their worst game in history is not required for Montana to win. Take away UNI's turnovers and that game in IC last year would have been much different.
          UNI competed in that game, and played as well or better then we all probably hoped for...but it was going to take more then taking back those turnovers to change the scoreboard. Football is more complicated then that.

As we know, especially as we know, winning a National Championship in this game is not just about being the best team, but about many factors, of which luck and happenstance play a major role. This year, especially, at the DIA level, there are probably 12-17 teams that are good enough to, if many things go their way, win a National Championship. It's hard, impossible even, to slight a DIA team for failing to win a NC, considering the system they chose to employ.

Iowa could go 12-0 this year, but if two of the teams ahead of them do the same, they have no chance. Would that be a slight on their part?

When one man says "Iowa has a shot this year" it's easy to hear "Iowa is going to win a title this year." That level of scrutiny isn't applied to UNI fans, where every year we start dreaming of hoisting the big trophy, or we'd look much the same.

If Montana wins that game, it will rank as probably the biggest upset in the history of midwestern football, and one of the top 10 or 20 upsets in the history of football. That doesn't make Montana bad. Football is now a game of the "haves" and the "have nots." Iowa is one of those boys sitting near the top of the list of "haves."

Comment

As fans of division a I-AA football team, there is no question who we should be rooting for in this one. If you don't cheer for Montana tomorrow, then you must truely be a Hawkeye at heart and they have a place for you on Hawkeyenation.com. Go Grizz!!! Montana might be welcomed in Iowa City, but they won't be in Cedar Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by uninisg View Post
              As fans of division a I-AA football team, there is no question who we should be rooting for in this one. If you don't cheer for Montana tomorrow, then you must truely be a Hawkeye at heart and they have a place for you on Hawkeyenation.com. Go Grizz!!! Montana might be welcomed in Iowa City, but they won't be in Cedar Falls.
              uninisg - I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. We were not treated right in Montana several years ago. I am as big a Panther and I-AA fan as there is, but those things are not easy to forget.

I'll keep my spot right here on Panther Nation. Thank you. I've never been on Hawkeye Nation and don't intend to go there.

For Saturday, I say go Hawkeyes. I'll almost always root for the team from the state of Iowa with a few exceptions.

Comment

Thanks, I'm fine here.

Comment

Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened at Montana a few years ago? I wasn't around and so I don't know...

Comment

The one thing I will say about this game, is that I'm shocked it's not on Mediacom... I thought for sure this would be the thing that put opinion over the top for them to pick up ESPNU. I was hoping for selfish reasons of course, because of the UNI basketball games on the channel.

Comment

Same with CFU, am I correct that you can only see it on ESPNU?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Girl View Post
                        Same with CFU, am I correct that you can only see it on ESPNU?
                        CFU has ESPNU, on their digital package.

Mediacom did the right thing. Iowa would play on ESPNU maybe once every few years, at most. That's a high cost to air very few games. Plus, Mediacom is trying to 'reserve' space for the next "must have" channel...Big Ten TV. They can only realistically carry so many sports channels, adding two more is a step too far.

Comment

I sure do wish that Matt Trump would come to my house and watch the Iowa / Montana Game with me!
                          Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

News, do you know what channel because I have the CFU HD package and it is no where to be found!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Girl View Post
                              News, do you know what channel because I have the CFU HD package and it is no where to be found!!
                              It's not on the HD package, but the digital cable package....channel 153.

Comment

Well, well...

Well, well, I see this thinking rears its head again...

The real site is Hawkeye Report.........

Check archived threads for this discussion.

Sounds like Iowa is having some trouble today.
                                FM

Comment

Working...
                                X