WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you feel sorry for Mo. State if they don't get in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
    Try beating UNI at home. It's not that tough. .
    whoa easy there shooter

Comment

Can you go back and do some research for me and show me the last team with 22 wins and a top 40 RPI to not make the NCAA Tournament? If they were Duke with MSU's resume...they'd be a lock. The only reason they're not is because of their conference affiliation.

Also, I don't have a "lovefest". I just spent 3 pretty great years working for SMS in Springfield and still follow their successes and failures pretty closely. But I can assure you...there's not a school I like to beat more than MSU!
      "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post
        whoa easy there shooter
        You misread it (or, more appropriately, I should have stated it better). I didnt mean that beating us is easy, I meant that its not tough to find games on MSU's schedule where, had they won, their status would be a little more secure.

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317 View Post
          Can you go back and do some research for me and show me the last team with 22 wins and a top 40 RPI to not make the NCAA Tournament? If they were Duke with MSU's resume...they'd be a lock. The only reason they're not is because of their conference affiliation.

Also, I don't have a "lovefest". I just spent 3 pretty great years working for SMS in Springfield and still follow their successes and failures pretty closely. But I can assure you...there's not a school I like to beat more than MSU!
          Fair enough, fair enough. And you are right, if it was Duke (or Syracuse) this wouldn't be an issue. I just think we will all, unfortunately, know why if they don't make it in - a couple more wins to get the RPI down would have done it. BUT, they WILL make it, making our convo moot!!

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317 View Post
            By the way... to answer your specific question, I think its only fair to say that MSU has 21 wins (win over Lincoln does not count). It has happened three other times and, no surprise, not to a BCS school.

2006 - Hofstra was 24-6 with an RPI of 30. (conf RPI: 10)

2003 -- UNLV was 21-10 with an RPI of 40 (conf RPI: 6)

and... que the drum roll and hit the irony button

2000 -- this team was 22-10 with an RPI of 34... that team... Southwest Missouri State... maybe there is a conspiracy (conf RPI: 11)

So yeah, it sucks but there is a precedent for it.

Comment

I'll do the research for you: Here are the year by year teams who have been left out of the NCAA's that have 22 wins and an RPI in the Top 40.

2005-2006:
              SCHOOL (RPI)
              Hofstra 24-6 (21)
              2004-2005:
              0teams left out with 22 wins and Top 40 RPI
              2003-2004:
              2002-2003:
              2001-2002:
              2000-2001:
              1999-2000:
              Missouri State (34)
              1998-1999:
              0teams left our with 22 wins and Top 40 RPI

So, in the last 8 NCAA Tournaments, only 2 teams that had 22 wins and a Top 40 RPI have been left out of the tournament. Hofstra and Missouri State.

Going even further, there have schools who have received at-large bids with 22 wins and under and an RPI over 40 in the last 8 years.

SCHOOL (RPI)
              2005-2006:
              Kentucky 21-12 (41)
              Texas A&M 21-8 (44)
              Arkansas 22-9 (45)
              Utah State 22-8 (46)
              Air Force 22-6 (49)
              NC State 21-9 (51)
              Alabama 17-12 (56)
              California 20-10 (57)
              Seton Hall 18-11 (58)
              2004-2005:
              Texas 19-10 (41)
              Iowa 21-11 (42)
              UAB 21-10 (49)
              Iowa State 18-11 (63)
              NC State 19-13 (65)
              2003-2004:
              Arizona 20-9 (41)
              South Carolina 23-10 (45)
              UTEP 22-7 (46)
              Richmond 20-12 (47)
              Washington 19-11 (60)
              Air Force 22-6 (70)
              2002-2003:
              Gonzaga 23-8 (43)
              Colorado 20-11 (46)
              Indiana 20-12 (47)
              NC State 18-12 (53)
              2001-2002:
              Mississippi State 19-10 (44)
              SIU 26-7 (50)
              Pepperdine 21-8 (51)
              Missouri 21-11 (52)
              Wisconsin 17-12 (54)
              Wyoming 20-8 (64)
              2000-2001:
              Arkansas 20-10 (41)
              Georgetown 23-7 (42)
              Xavier 21-7 (44)
              Missouri 18-12 (47)
              Oklahoma St. 19-9 (49)
              1999-2000:
              North Carolina 18-13 (41)
              Dayton 22-8 (43)
              Indiana State 22-9 (47)
              Seton Hall 20-9 (48)
              Utah 20-8 (50)
              UNLV 23-7 (51)
              Pepperdine 24-8 (52)
              1998-1999:
              Evansville 21-9 (44)
              Texas 19-12 (45)
              UAB 20-11 (48)
              Oklahoma 19-10 (49)
              Mississippi 16-12 (51)
              Oklahoma St. 21-10 (53)

So...the only time 38 has been a "pretty big difference" from 21 is last year and in the 1999-2000 season when Hofstra and Missouri State are the only two teams with 22 wins and an RPI in the Top 40 to get left out of the NCAA's. In many of those years you can find schools with a far worse record and RPI who got in as an at-large. For the most part...22 wins and Top 40 RPI is a 'lock' in the NCAA's...except if you're Hofstra or Missouri State.
              "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Be careful 23, correlation does not equal causality.

Comment

The reality is that we want MSU in the NCAA. They take an NIT spot if they fall out. Four MVC teams in the NCAA helps our cause.
                  If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I could be wrong, but in the past teams played less games. I thought that in the last couple of years teams were allowed to play more games, not exactly sure how many. But say for instance 5 years ago teams could only play 30 games and now they can play 33 then 22 wins looks different if you do it in less games. I hope that makes sense, it's something I thought of as I was looking at the brief history report. The non-bcs conferences get hosed every year because they aren't over exposed. Perfect example; you have 2 conference championship games being played tonight, yet ESPN is showing first round games of the Big East and relegating the non-bce championship games to ESPN 2. That just shows why smaller conferences get hosed.

Now as far as msu not getting in..... I'll be sad because they are from the mvc. The more exposure for the conference the better. Helps recruiting for everybody if the mvc has a good showing.

Comment

Missouri State has 22 D1 wins in the Selection Committee's eyes, b/c they view the SLU game as a win (due to clock malfunction).
                      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I would feel bad for the Bears. Theyre a solid team and I think they deserve to get in.
                        Sincerely,
                        The Future AD of the University of Northern Iowa

Comment

I would feel bad for US if they don't get in because they could take our spot in the NIT if they don't make it. Trust me I'll be cheering for them to get in, for two reasons only 1) If MSU gets in we still have a good shot at NIT 2.) They are a Valley Team.
                          The Original PURPLE Wig Guy........ GO PANTHERS
                          "You put some dumb red bird, a Hawkeye, and a Panther in a cage, and who do you think is going to win? The Panther would clearly rip the other two to shreds, eat them for dinner (although it would be a small meal for the monstrous beast) and spit out their feathers to make a pillow!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                            The reality is that we want MSU in the NCAA. They take an NIT spot if they fall out. Four MVC teams in the NCAA helps our cause.
                            MSU gets in NCAA....UNI gets in NIT

MSU gets in NIT......UNI stays home

SIMPLE

Comment

What if....
                              MSU/BU don't get in, the NIT feels like they should make it right and put 3 Valley teams into the NIT?
                              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                                What if....
                                MSU/BU don't get in, the NIT feels like they should make it right and put 3 Valley teams into the NIT?
                                not enough room this year with new format

Comment

Working...
                                X