WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time to leave

I've said this before, but weekday football at UNI would mean the death of the program. Absolutely unsustainable at UNI, and football being such a flagship for support within our AD, that would be very bad news for us.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
      Lastly, we wouldn't be dealing with a competing games in Iowa City or Ames.

Indeed. Weeknight games would mean that I would be able to attend more.

Comment

Cannot emphasize this enough: how many out-of-town season ticket holders (or single game ticket purchasers) would still show up on weeknights? I was one of these in the past, and weeknight games would have been a complete deal-breaker for me. Anyone else have a thought on that?

If we had a way to keep football on Saturdays and move our programs to the MAC, I'm totally on board, by the way.
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

No out of towners will come for weeknight games. Yes weekends are busy as well, but it's a lot easier to cram a three hour football game into a full Saturday than to cram a three hour football game into a week night when people aren't getting home from work until after 5:00 as it is. And it also becomes a "is it worth it" type of thing for busy families.

Saturdays, no matter how busy, people make more of an effort. It's a full experience/event when you throw in tailgating. You're not going to have that draw/pull on week nights, and it will be a heck of a lot easier to just stay home.
          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I just looked at 4 Mac schedules randomly:

Ohio - 6 home games. 4 on Saturday

Miami - 6 home games 4 on Saturday

Central Michigan 5 home games, 2 on Saturday (They have a non-conference game on weeknight so they specifically chose that not the conference)

Toledo - 6 home games. 3 on Saturday (They have a non-conference game on weeknight so they specifically chose that not the conference)

Would it really be that different going from 5 home games on Saturdays to 4 home games on Saturdays and 2 on week nights? Hell sell the weekend and weeknight games as seperate packages.
            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
              I've not lived close enough to attend games regularly for some time. And I get the lack of desire for weeknight games. But is there any consideration to the quality of opponents we'd be playing on a Thursday night vs. Saturday afternoon? You would have the potential to be playing a Nationally Ranked conference opponent. Maybe a chance to knock someone from whatever they call the non-P5 spot in the major bowl games (or day dream someday UNI might be in the bowl game). Even if it's not a ranked opponent, I'd like to think Northern Illinois or Toledo would be a lot more attractive than South Dakota State. Lastly, we wouldn't be dealing with a competing games in Iowa City or Ames.

Having said all that, like most everything else it comes down to $. If UNI can continue to grow the athletic program by having fewer people attending FB games but getting higher TV dollars, it would be hard to turn down.
              UNI gets to play nationally ranked opponents weekly already, granted it's FCS but still.

I would rather keep dreaming of a spot in the NC game, rather than a bottom level bowl game (which there are a glut of them). To me, when 5-6 and 6-6 teams are going to bowl games it reminds me of participation awards. I know there is money paid for a bowl bid, but there are also expenses involved too. I don't know if the expenses outweigh the benefit of going to the Idaho Potato Bowl or Camellia Bowl.

Finally, it is a sad state of affairs if in order to grow an athletic program financially through TV and conference contracts comes at the expense of lower attendance at the actual game. To me it looks pretty bad for the program when you see a team on TV and the empty seats they are playing in front of.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                UNI gets to play nationally ranked opponents weekly already, granted it's FCS but still.

I would rather keep dreaming of a spot in the NC game, rather than a bottom level bowl game (which there are a glut of them). To me, when 5-6 and 6-6 teams are going to bowl games it reminds me of participation awards. I know there is money paid for a bowl bid, but there are also expenses involved too. I don't know if the expenses outweigh the benefit of going to the Idaho Potato Bowl or Camellia Bowl.

Finally, it is a sad state of affairs if in order to grow an athletic program financially through TV and conference contracts comes at the expense of lower attendance at the actual game. To me it looks pretty bad for the program when you see a team on TV and the empty seats they are playing in front of.
                I laugh at the lower bowl games too. I'd go pretty much anywhere to watch UNI play in a bowl though. In the MAC we have a chance to play for a BCS bowl every year, that is far better than the FCS playoffs.

Comment

One weekday would be survivable. Two would be a disaster.

I would do $5 tickets and strongly consider free admission. Better be selling beer dirt cheap and $1 hotdogs and soda.

I would consider the lost gate the price of doing business in MAC. I still think you will be lucky to draw 10,000.

No way would I go to see a weekday game with he crap product on the field lately. National TV embarrassment watch our Helen keller qb try and compete a pass. I love Dunn and I hope they fire Farley if they ever go back to that dual threat crap.

A true dual threat qb is not playing at uni. They would be at a power five school.

No way will the power five schools let every tom dick and harry get a seat at the table. They will split off soon and keep it all for themselves.
                  Last edited by run&blade; 05-24-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                    Maybe to you, but not to most. Bowl games (even the lowest of the low) are seen by more people than the FCS championship game, by a couple hundred thousand. More wstchers means it grows the audience, growing the audience grows the brand, growing the brand grows the school itself, which gives us more of a crowd to go to games.

Besides, you're acting as if only a couple hundred people would show up to a Tuesday night game, when I'd guess the floor for any UNI game, any day of the week, is 7,000, which I feel is more than fair, since not a single game was below 10k last year, and we didn't make the playoffs. Sure, Ball State has poor attendence on Tuesdays, but Ball State also has poor attendence on any day of the week.

There's going to be a big gap between the P5 and the not-P5 in a few years once they realize that they just don't have enough money. G5 is a hell of a lot closer to that gap than any FCS program. You may not like it, I don't like it, but that's the future. Going to the MAC means moving a few games to a weekday in exchange for several million dollars and more relevance. That's not a bad deal, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                      I just looked at 4 Mac schedules randomly:

Ohio - 6 home games. 4 on Saturday

Miami - 6 home games 4 on Saturday

Central Michigan 5 home games, 2 on Saturday (They have a non-conference game on weeknight so they specifically chose that not the conference)

Toledo - 6 home games. 3 on Saturday (They have a non-conference game on weeknight so they specifically chose that not the conference)

Would it really be that different going from 5 home games on Saturdays to 4 home games on Saturdays and 2 on week nights? Hell sell the weekend and weeknight games as seperate packages.
                      Nah, man, that's a reasonable plan. We're here for hot takes, like one game on a Wednesday night would be the death of the whole football program and they'd need to shut down the school forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                        There's going to be a big gap between the P5 and the not-P5 in a few years once they realize that they just don't have enough money.
                        I agree

G5 is a hell of a lot closer to that gap than any FCS program. You may not like it, I don't like it, but that's the future.
                        Not so certain on this one. If the P5 splits, I'd bet the G5 ends up falling back closer to the FCS.

Going to the MAC means moving a few games to a weekday in exchange for several million dollars and more relevance. That's not a bad deal, imo.
                        With the direction the cable TV economy is going, those type of TV contracts for the second tier conferences probably won't be too long-lived. But hey, I suppose we could look forward to the notoriety and relevance on part with Ball State.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

With the direction the cable TV economy is going, those type of TV contracts for the second tier conferences probably won't be too long-lived. But hey, I suppose we could look forward to the notoriety and relevance on part with Ball State.
                          Yeah the relevance on par with Indiana State, Missouri State, South Dakota, Loyola Chicago, etc... is clearly vastly superior.

Comment

Give me a bowl game every single time. They've reformed the system so you can't lose money anymore. Its a better system especially if they end up passing the rule that your redshirts can play in that game plus 15 practices, it's like an extra spring ball.

We make fun of MAC weekday games but they still get 750k-1M views.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Give me a bowl game every single time. They've reformed the system so you can't lose money anymore. Its a better system especially if they end up passing the rule that your redshirts can play in that game plus 15 practices, it's like an extra spring ball.

We make fun of MAC weekday games but they still get 750k-1M views.
                              But why bother with a million people watching UNI on national TV, with HD cameras, and an ad spot or two when I've got CFU? I can see evey game in crisp, clear, 480i.

Comment

I'd just add this to the conversation--

How many MAC fans probably had the same reservations about weeknight games before they started playing them? I'd venture to guess many had the same concerns as you all. We've got to do something here, we can't just sit and rot in the MVC/MVFC as it slowly loses leverage/prestige. I'm reminded of the tale of the frog in slowly boiling water. I think it's time to jump, personally.

Comment

Working...
                                X