WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailgating Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating Advice

[QUOTE=UNIdadtobe;358092]Looking forward to seeing many of you for the Drake game. We tailgate before each ISU game, but this will be our first for a UNI game. Hope being a dual fan doesn't diminish the welcome. We have become serious UNI fans.

I'm not a dual fan, I pull for multiple teams. But none more so than dear old UNI...Despite what some will tell you that doesn't make you a heretic .

Enjoy your experience at UNI, great folks and you'll have a wonderful time. I wish I was there to give you the official welcome, and a free Leinies...

Comment

More and more people are parking and tailgating west of the McLeod/PSC parking lot (grass field). We're always in the PSC lot, but often times pull our bags boards out in the grass. Good luck, have fun! South lot is good too I have been told, stay away from the mess that is the north lot...
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Deke3 View Post
        More and more people are parking and tailgating west of the McLeod/PSC parking lot (grass field). We're always in the PSC lot, but often times pull our bags boards out in the grass. Good luck, have fun! South lot is good too I have been told, stay away from the mess that is the north lot...

Looking for a little more advice. It is possible that our tailgate could end up with a few dozen people, including students. We want a family atmosphere with lots of room for games, but also don't want to be an annoyance to folks who have smaller tailgates that keep to themselves. Any further suggestions for where we should park?

Comment

I will continue to advocate for the grass lot. We usually tailgate with 10-20 people. The grass lots give us plenty of area to spreadout and flexibility in setting up how we choose.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
            don't want to be an annoyance to folks who have smaller tailgates that keep to themselves. Any further suggestions for where we should park?
            Agree with foty, we're just west of him and the grass lots south of McLeod would be your best bet. Maybe near the creek but that area is popular.

Don't worry, just pull in and be the golden rule.

Oh, and by the way, please wear the ISU shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
              Agree with foty, we're just west of him and the grass lots south of McLeod would be your best bet. Maybe near the creek but that area is popular.

Don't worry, just pull in and be the golden rule.

Oh, and by the way, please wear the ISU shirt.

No ISU shirt will be worn. This week, I'm only a UNI fan. I even brought my UNI shirt on this business trip and will be wearing it all day Thursday and on the plane ride back!

P.S. We may still bring some of our red totes with our regular tailgate stuff in addition to our purple totes, so we may be recognizable.

Comment

Looking forward to tailgating in Cedar Falls today. We expect to be in the lot south of McLeod around 1pm. Hope to meet some of you. Our tailgate will have a white tent and some home-made games: giant jenga, ladder golf, and a bags game painted green with yard-line stripes (with rules that replicate a college football OT period).

Comment

OK, now we are getting down to serious matters for a new tailgater at the UNI-Dome. What is the bathroom situation like? I've read lots of things about peeing the woods, so it made me wonder if there will be port-o-potties in the parking lots (particularly for the ladies)?

Comment

I believe you can walk into McLeod Center and use the restrooms when needed. Also, the portable toilets are available in most lots.
                    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Yes the McLeod is open for restrooms. It's also open during game so women can go there and not wait in the insane line in the Dome. Man I wish I would win the lottery to give some money for new/more restrooms in the Dome!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

Comment

We had a great time tailgating for the first time at the UNI-Dome. It was terribly hot, but there was a great spirit in the south lot. We ended up pretty far south (between Panther Village and the power plant, near Hudson). There was a huge grassy area in the middle where no one parked, so there was a ton of room for games.

My only regret was getting there later than we expected and not getting to walk around and meet some of you in person. I can't wait to come back and do it again on a cooler day.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. I was going to follow up on here and ask you how your experience was.

Personally, I can't wait to really get into the tailgating scene. We've had young kids for the last several years, and we decided this weekend that next year -- when our youngest is just a tad bit older -- we're going to make a better go of it.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                            Thanks for letting us know. I was going to follow up on here and ask you how your experience was.

Personally, I can't wait to really get into the tailgating scene. We've had young kids for the last several years, and we decided this weekend that next year -- when our youngest is just a tad bit older -- we're going to make a better go of it.

Hoping to make it back later in the Fall for a playoff game!

Comment

Tailgating Advice

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                              Hoping to make it back later in the Fall for a playoff game!
                              I hope you had a good time, we were in the student lot to help my sister celebrate parents weekend and we had a blast with ~60 people at the tailgate.

During our regular walk of the tailgates, our group wondered what it could actually be like if we were like NDSU and consolidated our tailgates to restricted areas only. I personally believe our tailgates are too spread out.

I can see this being beneficial for a couple of reasons:

1) it would put Panther fans in a close proximity to create more comradery.
                              2) it would amplify the tailgate atmosphere
                              3) it would force Panther fans to build upon the other awesome tailgates that they are competing against.
                              Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by casbern View Post
                                I hope you had a good time, we were in the student lot to help my sister celebrate parents weekend and we had a blast with ~60 people at the tailgate.

During our regular walk of the tailgates, our group wondered what it could actually be like if we were like NDSU and consolidated our tailgates to restricted areas only. I personally believe our tailgates are too spread out.

I can see this being beneficial for a couple of reasons:

1) it would put Panther fans in a close proximity to create more comradery.
                                2) it would amplify the tailgate atmosphere
                                3) it would force Panther fans to build upon the other awesome tailgates that they are competing against.

Generally, I don't like the idea of trying to orchestrate tailgating. It think it is best when it just develops over time. Then, tailgating is restricted to "everywhere people park!"

From what I observed, most tailgates were nice parties that largely kept to themselves, albeit with some folks wandering around (including the guy selling UNI underwear with the flask pocket!).

Comment

Working...
                                X