WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Rhoads' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Shouldn't this talk of a "revolving door" shed some light on my point that I've made on here for years about coaches and just exactly how much responsibility that they have (yet, I'm made to look the one who is mad)?

Why is it that ISU has to fire every coach in just a few years, even after some are instantly hailed as geniuses (Rhodes)? Is there possibly more at play here than someone who sits on the sidelines and doesn't actually ever enter the game to play?

Just a thought, as Stewart Smalley (or whatever the boo-yah's guy name on Sportscenter was)...
    Last edited by ban basketball; 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
      Eddie Robinson's not the coach at Grambling anymore?
      He past away couple years ago. Doug Williams former Redskins qb took over for him til he was fired.
      GO NORTHERN IOWA PANTHERS![SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Comment

Yeah I knew that, hence the emoticons. It is weird for some of us of a certain age though, I mean he was the coach there my entire life, until I got old.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsoup View Post
          He past away couple years ago. Doug Williams former Redskins qb took over for him til he was fired.
          Hence, the emoticons.
          Last edited by ban basketball; 11-22-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
            Shouldn't this talk of a "revolving door" shed some light on my point that I've made on here for years about coaches and just exactly how much responsibility that they have (yet, I'm made to look the one who is mad)?

Why is it that ISU has to fire every coach in just a few years, even after some are instantly hailed as geniuses (Rhodes)? Is there possibly more at play here than someone who sits on the sidelines and doesn't actually ever enter the game to play?

Just a thought, as Stewart Smalley (or whatever the boo-yah's guy name on Sportscenter was)...
            1. No one has called anyone a genius. Stop saying it and quoting it unless you can back it up.

2. That's the late great Stuart Scott. I get you're trying to act like you don't care and you're edgy because you're way out of touch with the major sports, but get the name right. Seem's a bit tasteless that you act like his name isn't even worth knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
              1. No one has called anyone a genius. Stop saying it and quoting it unless you can back it up.

2. That's the late great Stuart Scott. I get you're trying to act like you don't care and you're edgy because you're way out of touch with the major sports, but get the name right. Seem's a bit tasteless that you act like his name isn't even worth knowing.
              OK, folks sure talked highly of Rhodes after that one year, didn't they? As I said before, exaggerated and over simplified "fixes" should expect exaggerated responses and replies.

Friends of the Scott family, are we? Save us the manufactured "outrage."

Comment

Didn't know I had to be "friends of the family" to show some simple respect for the deceased. Nice one Ban. Keep it classy.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                  Depends how you look at it.
                  Since 1995 ISU has only had 4 head coaches.
                  That's probably average if not less coaches than most for P5 schools.
                  Not for winning programs....

Comment

People tend to judge the coach on this year's wins and losses. However, I judge a coach by whether I think he can help the team next year. I really like what Rhoads has done in terms of recruitment, especially JUCOs. I would have loved to see what they could do next season with most of the recruits who will still be there. I can't imagine that a new coach will be able to come in and do that much next year. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                      Depends how you look at it.
                      Since 1995 ISU has only had 4 head coaches.
                      That's probably average if not less coaches than most for P5 schools.
                      True. I guess I'm focusing on more recent history.

And I would also note about half of all coaching changes are the result of coaches leaving for greener pastures after having tremendous success at the former school. That's never happened in modern ISU football history. They fire or mutually part ways with every single coach.
                      Originally posted by TH1974
                      This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                        Not for winning programs....
                        You'd be surprised.

Here are some notable P5 teams and how many coaches they've gone through in the last 2 decades. (Not counting interim coaches)

Louisville - 6
                        Kentucky - 6
                        North Carolina - 6
                        Pitt - 6
                        Indiana - 6
                        Kansas - 6
                        Nebraska - 5
                        Arizona - 5
                        Stanford - 5
                        UCLA - 5
                        Minnesota - 5
                        Alabama - 5
                        Arkansas - 5
                        Florida - 5
                        Illinois - 5
                        Ole Miss - 5
                        Baylor - 5
                        Wisconsin - 5
                        Oregon St - 5

There are only a handful of teams that have had 3 or less head coaches in the last 2 decades. ISU having 4 is average. You can't judge a program based on how many coaches they go through. Some of those winning programs will go through more coaches just because you have less time to win. That's one thing ISU can sell, is job security. They won't be chasing you out of town in 2 years if you haven't won 8+ games.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                          FALSE!!!! PLEASE document for folks on here where I said that he should be fired after that game.

Being that I already know what your search will yield, what's your motivation for lying about me? Please explain to the board.
                          Where was the big emergency last week with the quarterbacks, given ONE GAME? I just gave the numbers, and, compared to the night of hurling up prayers from the three point line, and there's no comparison.

Yes, the coach is RARELY solely responsible, but on that evening, the coach was solely responsible for not stopping those players from continuing to throw up long range three point shots that no one was hitting. That is ONE INSTANCE where a coach can clearly be held accountable, and he did nothing to coach those guys to shoot high percentage shots. Yes, a coach can bench a quarterback, but if the quarterback makes a good pass and it gets intercepted, that's not on the coach at all.

Come on, boys! We got another big ol, BOO-YAH in us, don't we?!

Please explain the underlined statement in bold above that you posted in the UNI vs. NDSU thread. How do you hold a coach accountable who is under contract? I think the same way ISU just held Paul Rhodes accountable.

I know you will say that wasn't your intent and not what you meant. You only meant he should have his raise rescinded and his whistle taken away for the 1st month of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                            People tend to judge the coach on this year's wins and losses. However, I judge a coach by whether I think he can help the team next year. I really like what Rhoads has done in terms of recruitment, especially JUCOs. I would have loved to see what they could do next season with most of the recruits who will still be there. I can't imagine that a new coach will be able to come in and do that much next year. Oh well.
                            Rhoads' problem was he waited 2-3 years too long to start bringing in more JUCO's. That's how KSU got so good under Snyder.

Comment

can we all agree that Iowa State HC is NOT a good job.
                              UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                                True. I guess I'm focusing on more recent history.

And I would also note about half of all coaching changes are the result of coaches leaving for greener pastures after having tremendous success at the former school. That's never happened in modern ISU football history. They fire or mutually part ways with every single coach.
                                I really have no idea, but it seems that may be more common at schools on the FCS level or G5 programs. I would think most coaches lose their jobs due to lack of wins or cheating on the P5 level.

Comment

Working...
                                X