WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***ARTICLE*** Resurgence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***ARTICLE*** Resurgence

Resurgence

What a difference a game makes. After a thoroughly disappointing finish to the Youngstown State game in which the Penguins of YSU beat UNI at their own game, the Panthers decided to take matters into their own hands for the next game. Youngstown State successfully wore down a stout UNI defense by keeping them on the field. The Panthers likely spent a lot of time in practice this week making sure that didn’t happen again. One of the keys in this strategy was a young man by the name of Eli Dunne.

The Panther redshirt sophomore racked up 418 yards on 25-of-33 passing. His beautifully relaxed release and pinpoint accuracy even from long range made all the difference in making sure the Bears of Missouri State never threatened. It seemed at first that it might be business as usual after UNI’s offense was unable to punch it into the endzone from the Missouri State 2 yard line. The crowd unfairly booed as the field goal unit took the field, likely frustrated at the continued lack of finishing drives. Nevertheless, the offense was unfazed on their next drive that was punctuated by a gorgeous 47-yard rainbow from Eli Dunne to Trevor Allen that put UNI on the Missouri State 1. The Panthers would never look back after the 1-yard punch-in from Michael Malloy. You could almost feel the entire crowd breathe a sigh of relief as the Cats went up 10-0 and would just continue to build from there.

The theme of the day was resurgence. UNI has been dogged quite a bit by both fans and outsiders alike after stumbling out of the gate 2-4. The Panthers felt it necessary to remind the rest or the college football scene that they were still an elite program. It is unfortunate for Missouri State that it had to be them. I felt genuine sadness for the Bears as I’m sure they had no idea what would transpire. Yes, big wins are always fun, but the most important thing at the end of the day is consistency, and the Panthers were able to demonstrate that Saturday as they were great in all aspects of the game.

That is definitely going to be needed next Saturday when the game of the week will, without question, be in Cedar Falls. The North Dakota State Bison come to town hungry to prove that they are still the unquestioned master of the FCS Universe. UNI will be determined to prove that they are still a playoff team worthy of discussion. A win against the Bison would go along way towards making their case.
    Last edited by Marc Wigim; 10-24-2016, 01:49 PM.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
    -Eldon Miller

Re: ***ARTICLE*** Resurgence

Great article, but Dunne is a redshirt sophomore, technically.

Comment

Apologies! I will edit the article, but I will point out my mistake here. Thanks for telling me... I had it in my head that he was a junior for some reason.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
      -Eldon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Wigim View Post
        Apologies! I will edit the article, but I will point out my mistake here. Thanks for telling me... I had it in my head that he was a junior for some reason.
        Academically he is a junior. Thankfully though he will be passing the rock for 2.5 more seasons of football

Comment

Working...
        X