WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final scholy filled for 2011---Deon Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final scholy filled for 2011

The weekend was spent in Milwaukee, WI at Marquette University's Elite Specialty Camp with two kids from the Austin/San Antonio area. Over ...

"Below: 2011 G Deon Mitchell of Pflugerville, the "Baby Faced Assassin" has already received an offer from Marquette. Great things lie ahead for the guard with the sweet shot, deadly crossover and great body control when finishing at the rim with either hand."

Has some pictures of him also.

Comment

Pflugerville's Deon Mitchell shown below with the Texas D-1 Ambassadors has given his verbal commitment to the University of Northern Iowa....
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
        Still gives me goosebumps

Comment

Ben Johnson strikes again.

Comment

Sounds like a great get!

btw, when was the last time UNI had someone from a state not Iowa or a state directly bordering it? I know Bazoukas (sp) commited but never came. Anyone since our last foreign player?

Comment

I think you have to go back to Michael Robinson (?)---the PG from Topeka, Kansas. That's not the right name, I just can't think of it off the top of my head. He was here Mac's last year. Before him, Atila Santos, Vince Polakovic, Adam Jacobson and Jon Godfread (No Dakota), Eric Smith-Will Hagans-Trey Austin-Damon Gregory (Texas), Keyonn Tutt (Kentucky), Andre Clarke (Brooklyn), Booker Warren (can't remember where home was for him), Javori Wilson (Florida). Those are the last decade worth of players off the top of my head...can't think of anyone else.
              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Sounds like a great recruit. Love the name too..."Baby face assassin".

Now, how does this PG from day 1 conflict with our other potential PG Lyle from KCity?

Baby face takes the spot that Gibbs chose against. Can't wait to see how those two play out over the next couple years.

Man, we are heavy with guards.

Comment

I wondered the same thing about Lyle and Mitchell.

Especially since Mitchell has said the coaches are going to/want to put the ball in his hands from day one.

Comment

I think Coach Jake loves recruiting point guards. Ali, Sonnen, Moran all found minutes. When reading about Lyle on ESPN recruiting it sounds like he's more of a wing.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
                      I think Coach Jake loves recruiting point guards.
                      Bingo. Who wouldn't want more guys who can handle the ball! I like to compare recruiting PG's in bball to recruiting QB's in football. All these guys are smart in their sport and know how to make the players around them better.

Count me in for one who is extremely excited about the future of UNI Basketball!

Comment

Originally posted by CR Panther View Post
                        Sounds like a great recruit. Love the name too..."Baby face assassin".

Now, how does this PG from day 1 conflict with our other potential PG Lyle from KCity?

Baby face takes the spot that Gibbs chose against. Can't wait to see how those two play out over the next couple years.

Man, we are heavy with guards.
                        Lyle is more of a wing in college (most likely). He's similar to that of John Little. Lock down defender, able to create, but can also hit the open shot. He's smooth and his PG background will allow him to earn good minutes, as Jake likes guys who value the basketball.

Someone else is right in that Jake likes his PG's. The year where Josten had to be the main PG b/c Kwadzo went down and Culliver was off the team 2 weeks into the school year really was an eye opener to most fans how important it is to have quality PG's who handle the rock well. Josten did admirably, and I believe Haak filled in nicely as well, but there were some limitations. From that time on, he's found guards to bring in that were former PG's. Moran, Sonnen, Ali, Lyle, Mitchell, Morrison, and I think even Anthony James did some PG in HS too.

Comment

Comment

Awesome get! I hope he pans out for us, and develops a connection for us down in the Texas market.

I'm extremely happy with this recruiting class... can't wait to see how they do on the floor.
                            Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

I loved this quote "Deon Mitchell is one of those rare guys that not only combines character with superior ability, but he also maintains an air of being humble at the same time. As a combo PG he can get to the rack at will or shoot it unconsciouly from deep. Mitchell has a killer crossover that's as good as anyone in Texas. With all these scoring tools at his disposal, Mitchell still prefers to find the open man and make others look good. Once he learns to defend with intensity on every play, who knows what accolades he'll pile up in the Missouri Valley Conference.-Max Ivany"

FYI Pflugerville TX is a suburb of Austin. Big time basketball no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                                Lovin' this...

"Big props go to Northern Iowa Assistant Coach Ben Johnson who did a heck of a job recruiting Deon. He said he wanted to get into Texas, and they did in a BIG way with the Texas D1 Ambassadors. Don't be shocked to see them nab another player or two out of the Lone Star State in the near future."

Comment

Working...
                                X