WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates on the coaching staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

Blue42 can I ask what your child did not like about their visit? You can PM me if you would rather not share on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      You wouldn't have to include Illinois in a reciprocity agreement.

Even just having reciprocity with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and Kansas would be huge.
      The easy counter to that is "UNI is not all that close to Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas (or Nebraska and South Dakota). What is the actual potential gain from that plan?"

Even if not full reciprocity, I think the idea of a hybrid out of state/in state tuition for states touching Iowa would be smart.

Current in state/out of state expenses:
      Tuition and mandatory fees: 8,309/18,851
      Room and Board: 8,269/8,269
      Total: 16,938/27,480

That is a $10,542 different between in and out of state. Split the difference for kids from directly neighboring states and go to:
      In state: 8,309
      In Region: 13,509
      Out of Region: 18,851

That seems to make the most sense to me. We are a regional university. Yes, we are built on Iowa students. However, to actually be a regional university we must focus on recruiting the actual region we reside in. Based on the 4 minutes of looking I did, $13,509 for a kid from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota would be a pretty solid deal.

USD and SDSU offer reciprocity in Iowa to a specific range of counties. They are VERY successful at pulling kids from that area. Do the same thing but offer it to the entire state. Get kids in. Added benefit, also helps the athletic budget as paying 5,200 less per scholarship is nice.

To Blue's point, and it's been beaten to death here for years, the marketing at/around UNI is terrible. The tours, from what I heard, don't seem to showcase the university correctly and seem to touch on almost exclusively selling points that don't mean much. The amount of, fun/engaging activities is also low from what I've heard. I have two neices that are high school seniors this year and toured UNI (as a family we have been going to UNI since the 1930s). That was their take away and it seemed to be echoed by their friends they went with. They may still end up at UNI simply because one has a UNI alum mother and the other has UNI connections as well with friends going there and the family thing. Weren't super impressed with the visit though
      Last edited by claw; 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_8888 View Post
        Blue42 can I ask what your child did not like about their visit? You can PM me if you would rather not share on the board.
        I'll ask my wife for some specifics. She was there in person that day...I wasn't.

She agreed the day was not what she hoped it would be.

And we are both HUGE UNI fans and promoters...so we wouldn't criticize quickly.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post

USD and SDSU offer reciprocity in Iowa to a specific range of counties. They are VERY successful at pulling kids from that area. Do the same thing but offer it to the entire state. Get kids in. Added benefit, also helps the athletic budget as paying 5,200 less per scholarship is nice.
          I have posted here more than once about how aggressive NDSU is in its marketing to the seven-county Twin Cities area ... billboards, print ads, probably TV ads (I watch little live TV, but suspect if I were to watch some of the Minnesota high school playoffs in football, hockey or basketball, I would see one or two) and college fairs (NDSU was scheduled to be part of 15 booths at the National College Fair in the Minneapolis Convention Center last September ... plus side is that UNI was schedule for five, more that ISU or Iowa http://panthernation.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=36).

A targeted reciprocity agreement with the seven-county Twin Cities area (which has a high graduation rate, high college entrance exam averages and thousands of students looking to continue their education each year) would help UNI get the enrollment increase that the BOR is asking of them.

Whether the Iowa leg and the MN leg would be up for talks is beyond me, though.
          Last edited by ronfitch; 03-10-2017, 02:53 PM.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Keep in mind UNI out of state tuition/fees isn't that far off from tuition and fees at illinois State ($25k Illinois in state vs $27k UNI out of state). It would only take a little bit to narrow the gap and attract more Illinois residents. Their tuition isn't going to flat line any time soon and Iowa (as a state in regent funding) is in much better shape financially.
            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I know a public university isn't run exactly the same as a private/public business, but the more I read some informed posts here makes me realize what an idiotic decision it was to throttle enrollment by Koob or whoever. In short, what a dumba$$.

You're either growing in some way, or dying. There's no middle ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                I know a public university isn't run exactly the same as a private/public business, but the more I read some informed posts here makes me realize what an idiotic decision it was to throttle enrollment by Koob or whoever. In short, what a dumba$$.

You're either growing in some way, or dying. There's no middle ground.
                It's a dark black mark on what otherwise was a fantastic presidency. We were headed for 17k and he was worried we didn't have the infrastructure to support it. He should have forced the Regents hand rather than backing off. There is plenty of space to build new dorms...
                #MACtion

Comment

It's a dark black mark on what otherwise was a fantastic presidency. We were headed for 17k and he was worried we didn't have the infrastructure to support it. He should have forced the Regents hand rather than backing off. There is plenty of space to build new dorms...
                  In the press release announcing the decrease that year, it states:

"Following a year of statewide budget cuts and several reductions to UNI's budget, Koob told board members, 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' He said that in spite of a 29.8 percent tuition increase in the past two years, for the first time in his tenure as president, UNI had begun its fiscal year with a decrease in its General Fund Budget.

'Quality instruction is our number one priority and is our continuing commitment,' he said. 'We may see further declines in enrollment in the future, but that will be influenced by appropriations and recruitment strategies.''

(source: https://newsroom.uni.edu/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br)

If your two main sources of revenue are the state legislature (who has made cuts to UNI's budget) and tuition (which UNI had just raised 30% over the previous two years), something has to give.

One of the hallmarks of UNI is that faculty - tenured and adjunct - teach the classes. No TAs teaching (when I was one, it was "Graduate Assistants" and they would grade assessments, lead lab or discussion sections and generally assist faculty but never actually teach courses - the schedule listed an instructor and it was an instructor who taught the course).

I left in the late '90s, though, so that may no longer be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                    In the press release announcing the decrease that year, it states:

"Following a year of statewide budget cuts and several reductions to UNI's budget, Koob told board members, 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' He said that in spite of a 29.8 percent tuition increase in the past two years, for the first time in his tenure as president, UNI had begun its fiscal year with a decrease in its General Fund Budget.

'Quality instruction is our number one priority and is our continuing commitment,' he said. 'We may see further declines in enrollment in the future, but that will be influenced by appropriations and recruitment strategies.''

(source: https://newsroom.uni.edu/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br)

If your two main sources of revenue are the state legislature (who has made cuts to UNI's budget) and tuition (which UNI had just raised 30% over the previous two years), something has to give.

One of the hallmarks of UNI is that faculty - tenured and adjunct - teach the classes. No TAs teaching (when I was one, it was "Graduate Assistants" and they would grade assessments, lead lab or discussion sections and generally assist faculty but never actually teach courses - the schedule listed an instructor and it was an instructor who taught the course).

I left in the late '90s, though, so that may no longer be the case.
                    The fault in that logic is that if tuition is going up and money from the state is decreasing, why cut the number of students paying money to be here? You're cutting off both hands in that situation.

As, BC said, outside of the enrollment throttling, Koob was a pretty good president. However, it could easily be argued that slashing enrollment, rather than holding enrollment where it was, is the start of the domino effect that led to the issue Allen had to deal with, and is now having us at our lowest enrollment in over quarter century. We are now within a 1,000 students of where we were when we moved to D1.

Enrollment should have been held between 14,000-15,000. I'm not kidding when I say that 14,000 is the absolute bare minimum UNI needs to be at to have success moving forward. With the new apartment style dorms that have been built, all of the apartment complexes that have gone up over the last 15-20 years, there is no reason UNI shouldn't be able to get too 17,000. Make the push to get to 15,000. While doing that devise a plan to get to 17,000-20,000. I don't know what that plan entails, but it has to happen if we want to continue to see this university, and it's athletic programs, thrive.

Comment

Was Koob thinking that higher enrollment meant more instructors; and since tuition did not cover those costs 100%, lower state appropriations meant we needed to adjust to the state money available?

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                        Was Koob thinking that higher enrollment meant more instructors; and since tuition did not cover those costs 100%, lower state appropriations meant we needed to adjust to the state money available?
                        That would be my guess - he was reacting to the situation. And it is just not instructors who make it work. To grow enrollment, a school needs staff, graduate assistants, physical and digital resources, etc.

The press release does state that retention among undergraduates actually increased, which is a tribute to UNI's mission. The reduction was in incoming freshmen, transfers and grad students.

There are two main sources of revenue at a school like UNI: tuition and money from the legislature (UNI does not have big research infusion nor a big donor base, AFAIK).

Undergraduate tuition had just gone up 30% over the previous two years; kind of difficult to raise that again. And the state leg decrease their contribution. Meanwhile, costs rise across the board simply to maintain.

This is going from one official document from that time, the press release with quotes from Koob. That does not mean it is the whole story.

Also, it is a snapshot in time. Enrollment continued to drop after that.

Did state aid stay level (which would not keep up with costs) or drop even more in the years after that? I was no longer in state and wasn't paying close attention at the time. But there are those who were - some working at UNI - who also post here and can answer those questions.

Comment

So, any updates on the coaching staff?
                          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I heard one of the two new coaches we hired is indeed gone. Not sure how we are going to manage spring ball with no coaches and no offense.
                            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                              I heard one of the two new coaches we hired is indeed gone. Not sure how we are going to manage spring ball with no coaches and no offense.
                              I mean, is that really any different than the past 4 or 5 years...
                              #MACtion

Comment

I mean, is that really any different than the past 4 or 5 years...
                                I don't recall ever entering Spring ball without an offensive coordinator.
                                Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Working...
                                X