WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

I don't think it needs to be limited to peer institutions.

Like it or not, we compete with Iowa and ISU for fans, money, and press. College football is a product and fans expect an all day event. They don't just buy a ticket to the game, they purchase an all day experience. Fans get up early and stay late. The actual game itself is only one piece of a day long outing. Fans get excited about making game day into a big activity.

Every Saturday we are putting a product out for the public and every Saturday we are competing with ISU and Iowa. We need to make our entire game day experience as good as it can be. Limiting our pre-game festivities doesn't make our product more appealing.

And this bit about it being all about getting drunk is bogus. Yes, there is a ton of drinking during the pre-game festivities, but there is also a ton of other fun activities taking place. Just take a walk around Iowa City or Ames during the morning of a game day. You'll see grilling, bags, TV's with other games on, music, and people generally just hanging out having a good time. Fans getting too rowdy or rambunctious is the last thing UNI should be worried about IMO.
    Originally posted by TH1974
    This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Good point-but definitely include peer institutions because it seems to be what they'll look at. However making the point that we compete for fans, etc makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I can get plenty drunk in 4 hours. The added time isn't going to matter much for that.

Also, we tailgate in the north lot and never are hassled if we're out there before the 4 hour time limit. And that includes drinking. I don't know why they care about the other lots more.

Comment

Where does he come up with a stereotypical remark about some of the fans wanting to drink longer? Is that what he thinks of the fans? Why there must be piles of drunks laying all over the lots. Maybe he should hop on a golf cart some Saturday and see what goes on.

I'm not crazy about laying this on public safety either. Its a lazy remark meant to deflect blame. Who sets policy, administration or the public safety department?

Here is a proactive long view way to handle it, "I'm excited that our fans want an enhanced game day experience. I'm forming a group of stakeholders including students, alumni, and public safety to find ways to make improvements to our tailgating experience while assuring our fans safety".

Too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther/Statesman View Post
            I'm not crazy about laying this on public safety either. Its a lazy remark meant to deflect blame. Who sets policy, administration or the public safety department?
            I appreciate the fact he's being honest in his take. I recall when the 4 hour rule was set, and it was set by UNI Public Safety, not the UNI AD. I'm sure, if he saw a need, Troy would be approaching them for a change.

Comment

P
              News flash, Americans drink. Most do it responsibly. Those who don't have friends that do.

Comment

The part I don't like is it seems the rule was just arbitrarily made up just too have a rule. It wasn't addressing a problem. Also, the inconsistent enforcement.
                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

I saw the Register had a brief article on tailgating in IC that talked about whether the experience has become diminished with supposedly higher levels of "drunkeness" and more security present. Thought it was a semi-relevant read

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                    I appreciate the fact he's being honest in his take. I recall when the 4 hour rule was set, and it was set by UNI Public Safety, not the UNI AD. I'm sure, if he saw a need, Troy would be approaching them for a change.
                    Yes they set the 4 hour rule and by Troy's take no one has complained to him. We have people that post on this board often siting circumstances that the AD, UNI, and the BOR are trying to screw them over personally. If they would go to the source of their "concerns" they may get a favorable response. Instead it's easier to show their disrespect for those in charge on a faceless message board.

Comment

I bet NDSU is making sure all fans stay clear of the college gameday crew this morning.

The last thing they need is a bunch of terrible press that would result from several fans congregating outdoors more than four hours prior to kickoff. Broadcasting a chaotic mess like that on national TV would set their program back 10 years or more.
                      This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Is there really significant demand for this? We can sit and complain, but I have a hard time believing there would be more than a handful of groups out 4+ hours before gametime.

Comment

Well, considering people already do tailgate 4 hours prior to kickoff and get approached by public safety for it, the answer is yes.

Comment

I agree with what was said earlier regarding setting up and taking down. I love grilling when I tailgate. Setting up and then getting the charcoal going, then cooking, and then cleaning up can take a few hours. That leaves you with very little time to sit back and relax in the company of your friends/family before the game starts. When I lived in CF I only tailgated 2 or 3 times because it just wasn't enough time to get everything done and have fun.

Now that I live in Dallas, I look forward to 24 hours of tailgating when the Panthers come to Frisco!!!

Comment

As an ISU fan, I too am surprised the University, or whoever, restricts tailgating to 4 hours. These days, college football is more than just a game. Most people I know make a day out of it. It's all a part of the game day experience. Making the game day experience more enjoyable will help grow a fan base and bring in outsiders.

Want to know why ISU has such great tailgating? Because having numerous decades of suck on the football field will yield people to drink heavily. Why not drink, eat, grill, party in the parking lots with thousands of fans from your own team? It makes years like this more enjoyable for Cyclone fans. Show up, grill, drink, eat, meet friends/family, and watch football. If the product on the field is bad, what can you do? You get your ass back in the parking lot and tailgate.

And then, when you do have a good season the tailgating is 10x more fun. More people, bigger parties, etc. It's all about growing a fan base and making a day out of it.

And to clarify, ISU doesn't always open the lots at 5am. They only do it during big games like Iowa when there's going to 100,000+ people tailgating or for games that kickoff at 11am. The general rule at ISU is: The donor parking lots open at 7am, or 5am for 11am kick offs. The general public lots open 6 hours prior to kickoff (sometimes earlier if the line waiting to get in starts to block traffic on streets) And if you're a donor with an RV pass you can start Friday morning.

Comment

letting people in the donor lot to start tailgating early is a smart idea. provides another incentive for people to donate to a sufficient amount to be able to get such parking spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X