WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Daughter's Research on Concussions in Diving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Daughter's Research on Concussions in Diving

Several of you seem to have appreciated some of my threads about UNI Swimming and Diving, so I thought I would start another one that is more academic in nature.

UNIdaughter did her Honors thesis on concussions in women's collegiate diving (she has a personal interest in the subject). After following her all over the country for diving meets, it was very fun to go to Cedar Falls recently to hear her present and defend her thesis. She even let me ask questions . . . very brave.

Among the interesting findings (sorry I don't have the exact numbers with me):

More than 50% of the collegiate divers who responded to her survey said they have had concussions. More than 50%! She explained that divers who had concussions are more likely to respond to her survey. Yet, even if all the divers who didn't respond to her survey did not have concussions, the rate of concussions in diving (25%) would still be higher than for football (15%) and women's soccer. Of course, there are all sorts of research variables to consider that are beyond the scope of an undergraduate thesis, but her findings certainly made me sit up and take notice.

More than 80% of the concussions came from hitting the water, not the board. Most people think that water is "soft," but not when you are coming from 3 meters up, doing somersaults as fast as you can, and entering the water at 30 mph. The most common dive in which concussions occurred was the triple somersault in pike position. UNIdaughter's concussion came when she got lost in a twister dive and went in the water on her temple. There is a reason why divers go hands first, not head first . . and why many wear wrist-guards. UI's diving well has an incredible feature called the "bubbler" that creates huge amounts of bubbles from the bottom in order to create a "softer" surface for divers still learning dives from 10 meters. Someday I hope to see it in operation. I thought it was to lessen the pain of belly flops, but hadn't thought about how it would help lessen head impact. UNIdaughter says the UI diving well has one of her favorite features . . . a big black chokeye logo on the bottom that helps her spot the water and know when to come out of the spin in the middle of a dive. She says rooms with blue walls that are the same color as the water are the worst.

She is hoping to get her research published in a coach's journal and maybe do some further research in her graduate program during the next few years.
    Last edited by UNIdad; 04-26-2016, 03:16 AM.

Re: UNI Daughter's Research on Concussions in Diving

Thank you for this information! It's great to hear what people are learning from their personal experiences and then taking it steps further to research the subject and share it with others. Thanks for sharing!
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

That is very interesting information! I never would have thought about the concussion impact in diving. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
        Several of you seem to have appreciated some of my threads about UNI Swimming and Diving, so I thought I would start another one that is more academic in nature.

UNIdaughter did her Honors thesis on concussions in women's collegiate diving (she has a personal interest in the subject). After following her all over the country for diving meets, it was very fun to go to Cedar Falls recently to hear her present and defend her thesis. She even let me ask questions . . . very brave.

Among the interesting findings (sorry I don't have the exact numbers with me):

More than 50% of the collegiate divers who responded to her survey said they have had concussions. More than 50%! She explained that divers who had concussions are more likely to respond to her survey. Yet, even if all the divers who didn't respond to her survey did not have concussions, the rate of concussions in diving (25%) would still be higher than for football (15%) and women's soccer. Of course, there are all sorts of research variables to consider that are beyond the scope of an undergraduate thesis, but her findings certainly made me sit up and take notice.

More than 80% of the concussions came from hitting the water, not the board. Most people think that water is "soft," but not when you are coming from 3 meters up, doing somersaults as fast as you can, and entering the water at 30 mph. The most common dive in which concussions occurred was the triple somersault in pike position. UNIdaughter's concussion came when she got lost in a twister dive and went in the water on her temple. There is a reason why divers go hands first, not head first . . and why many wear wrist-guards. UI's diving well has an incredible feature called the "bubbler" that creates huge amounts of bubbles from the bottom in order to create a "softer" surface for divers still learning dives from 10 meters. Someday I hope to see it in operation. I thought it was to lessen the pain of belly flops, but hadn't thought about how it would help lessen head impact. UNIdaughter says the UI diving well has one of her favorite features . . . a big black chokeye logo on the bottom that helps her spot the water and know when to come out of the spin in the middle of a dive. She says rooms with blue walls that are the same color as the water are the worst.

She is hoping to get her research published in a coach's journal and maybe do some further research in her graduate program during the next few years.
        What was the sample size? It sounds like a great deal of primary research. Many times students have research limitations due to lack of grant funding. All research has some limitations. Well done! A very useful and informative topic.
        Last edited by Panther100; 04-26-2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther100 View Post
          What was the sample size? It sounds like a great deal of primary research. Many times students have research limitations due to lack of grant funding. All research has some limitations. Well done! A very useful and informative topic.

It was an undergraduate honors thesis, so UNIdaughter didn't really go for a "sample" from which she could make statistical generalizations. Rather, she sought permission from coaches of midwest universities to send her survey to their "entire population" of divers (hoping to increase her response rate by being known to them). 10 coaches gave permission and 50 divers were sent the survey. She got more than a 50% response rate, recognizing that those with concussions are more likely to respond. I think she would be interested in doing something more in graduate school.

P.S. I like the idea of grant funding rather than dad funding!

Comment

It was an undergraduate honors thesis, so UNIdaughter didn't really go for a "sample" from which she could make statistical generalizations. Rather, she sought permission from coaches of midwest universities to send her survey to their "entire population" of divers (hoping to increase her response rate by being known to them). 10 coaches gave permission and 50 divers were sent the survey. She got more than a 50% response rate, recognizing that those with concussions are more likely to respond. I think she would be interested in doing something more in graduate school.

I think that's a good response rate. That was very good experience for an advanced degree program. In my doctoral program other dissertations can help to form a nice structure to begin a project. Nothing but good stuff ahead!

Comment

While not the best sample size (obviously not within her control) I think its definitely something to pursue as part of a graduate study. That's a topic that could certainly generate some important conversations.

Comment

Could we see helmets on divers in the future?
                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

Comment

I've always thought diving looked scary, the prospect of hitting the water unconscious after striking the board kept me from trying anything fancy. Certainly makes sense that impact with the water can be a problem also.

Seems like some dives are plainly more dangerous than others. Given the increasing concussion awareness these days, is there any thought toward restricting/outlawing any?

I had an opportunity to take a cruise on one of the big new ships with a diving pool and towers on the stern, and there was a team of pros on board who would do some great shows. Would UNIdaughter be considering something like this after college?
                    Last edited by in_the_stands; 04-27-2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                      I've always thought diving looked scary, the prospect of hitting the water unconscious after striking the board kept me from trying anything fancy. Certainly makes sense that impact with the water can be a problem also.

Seems like some dives are plainly more dangerous than others. Given the increasing concussion awareness these days, is there any thought toward restricting/outlawing any?

I had an opportunity to take a cruise on one of the big new ships with a diving pool and towers on the stern, and there was a team of pros on board who would do some great shows. Would UNIdaughter be considering something like this after college?

There are dives that are more dangerous than others, such as inward dives where you actually spin back toward the board. However, the most dangerous, according to UNIdaughter's research was the triple front somersault in tuck position because you get going so fast and it is easy to come out of the tuck too late to break the water with your hands together.

Some divers just stay so close to the board . . . regardless of the dive.

UNIdaughter is now a "dover" (past tense of diver). She is ready to go on to grad school, a professional career, and start her own family. Any diving she does now is just for fun. And it is really fun when we are at a public pool and she starts doing her thing.

P.S. She is finding it a bit weird to be on campus and be a "former" athlete and no longer an official member of the team.
                      Last edited by UNIdad; 04-27-2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

There are dives that are more dangerous than others, such as inward dives where you actually spin back toward the board. However, the most dangerous, according to UNIdaughter's research was the triple front somersault in tuck position because you get going so fast and it is easy to come out of the tuck too late to break the water with your hands together.

Some divers just stay so close to the board . . . regardless of the dive.

UNIdaughter is now a "dover" (past tense of diver). She is ready to go on to grad school, a professional career, and start her own family. Any diving she does now is just for fun. And it is really fun when we are at a public pool and she starts doing her thing.

P.S. She is finding it a bit weird to be on campus and be a "former" athlete and no longer an official member of the team.
                        Good for her! Like the dover, professional career, and start a family references!

Comment

Now that you are "graduating" from being a UNI dad, I hope you will continue to come back to this site and be a "wroter," providing your usual good insight on various topics.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                            Now that you are "graduating" from being a UNI dad, I hope you will continue to come back to this site and be a "wroter," providing your usual good insight on various topics.

My participation may drop off a bit, but I will stick around. I've got the purple in me!

P.S. In honor of UNIdaughter, I'll be wearing a UNI polo next week on my flight back to the US from Delhi, India.

Comment

Seems like we need some good news in the wake of President Ruud leaving. Here is my favorite photo from UNIdaughter's graduation.

Comment

Working...
                              X