WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time to leave

MAC basketball budgets
    Ohio - 3.1 m
    Akron - 3.09 m
    Bowling Green - 2.39 m
    Toledo - 2.34 m
    Miami (OH) - 2.33 m
    Western Michigan - 2.18 m
    Kent State - 2.15 m
    Buffalo - 2.05 m
    Eastern Michigan - 2.03 m
    Ball State - 1.9 m
    Northern Illinois - 1.88 m
    Central Michigan - 1.6 m
    Average - 2.25m

MVC basketball budgets
    Bradley - 3.1 m
    Northern Iowa - 2.9 m
    Evansville - 2.89 m
    Loyola - 2.75 m
    Valparasio - 2.67 m
    Drake - 2.47 m
    Illinois State - 2.45 m
    Missouri State - 2.28 m
    Southern Illinois - 2.24 m
    Indiana State - 1.83 m
    Average - 2.56

There is a difference there of a quarter million dollars, and I suppose that is concerning but it's not huge. Three programs spend less than 2m in the MAC and 6 under 2.3. Only two programs really fund their program at an "acceptable" level. I consider acceptable 2.5+ in upper mid major conferences. To that extent I suppose MAC basketball is a down grade from the MVC.
    Last edited by claw; 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
      I think a few good commercials run frequently in the week leading up to the game could make a difference, maybe not huge, but significant. The entire TV industry is built on ads making people want to watch things.
      They do run commercials. It's a niche. NBC Sports runs adds 24/7 for F1 races, their boxing, events, their fishing events, etc... yet they all pull tiny ratings. They are all niche commodities. Sure, market your commodity but you need to look at the ROI of $ spent to advertising $ coming back in through viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
        They do run commercials. It's a niche. NBC Sports runs adds 24/7 for F1 races, their boxing, events, their fishing events, etc... yet they all pull tiny ratings. They are all niche commodities. Sure, market your commodity but you need to look at the ROI of $ spent to advertising $ coming back in through viewers.

I would be delighted with that type of promotion for the FCS national championship. Although niche, it certainly seems like it could be built up. I'm not trying to argue about ROI for ESPN, just that in my little naive perspective, a little more promotion for its national championship game sure would be nice.

Comment

MAC HC salaries
          Akron - 626 k
          Ohio - 620 k
          Toledo - 575 k
          Bowling Green - 422 k
          Kent State - 402 k
          Central Michigan - 400 k
          Western Michigan - 385 k
          Miami (OH) - 353 k
          Buffalo - 353 k
          Northern Illinois - 300 k
          Eastern Michigan - 290 k
          Ball State - 275 k
          Average - 417k

MVC HC Salaries
          Northern Iowa - 1.0m
          Bradley - 750 k
          Drake - 550 k
          Illinois State - 401 k
          Missouri State - 396 k
          Valparasio - 377 k
          Southern Illinois - 350 k
          Loyola - 300 k
          Indiana State - 296 k
          Evansville - 250 k
          Average - 467k

All privates are rumors.
          -However, Marty is widely known at 250K per tax forms from past years.
          -Medved I guess about where most Drake coaches are.
          -Valpo is unknown, but I put 377, which is Drew's last year at Valpo. Likely aren't paying their current coach any more than at - if even that.
          -Wardle I've seen guessed between 450 and 750. Bradley has the money so 750ish doesn't shock me.
          -Loyola is a complete unknown. According to an article from their 2015 CBI run it was "leaked" he was the second highest paid person at Loyola. The article talked about the cost of hosting the games and how much was being spent on athletics vs. academics. In the article it was "leaked" that the average professor at Loyola makes 124k while the average full time HC salary is 137k. Loyola has 11 head coaches but only 6 are full time. That means all 6 are pulling from a pool of 822k. I'm going to guess that Porter isn't making more than 1/3 of all salary paid to HCs. That puts him at about 300k (36%)

You could argue the MVC is a step up in coaching pay as well. Then we remember how far Jake is skewing that right now. Take Jake out of the MVC and the average drops over 60,000 to 407K. If Wardle is closer to 500K than 750k the average drops to 380.

That's a fun game I thought of while posting. Taking the highest and lowest coach out of each conference the average is 396 MVC and 410 MAC.

Comment

I would be delighted with that type of promotion for the FCS national championship. Although niche, it certainly seems like it could be built up. I'm not trying to argue about ROI for ESPN, just that in my little naive perspective, a little more promotion for its national championship game sure would be nice.
            You can't take ROI out of it. Sure, I'd love to do a ton of things but it turns out that if it isn't financially smart I probably shouldn't do them. ESPN, now more than ever, is worried about their ROI. They won't drop a 30 second add slot for an even that will draw ratings, or a major commodity wanting to advertise for a 30 second spot for YSU/JMU. That'd be dumb financially. Even more so if they did it 15 times a day.

Comment

I just don't see the mac as a step up from mvc. Obviously football is different. Also I would feel robbed as a fan if after all these years we do not win a fcs national championship.

Comment

ROI is only there if the corresponding demographics are there to begin with for a mass audience. It's not, "if you build it, they will come." Claw is right, FCS football is a niche'.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                  ROI is only there if the corresponding demographics are there to begin with for a mass audience. It's not, "if you build it, they will come." Claw is right, FCS football is a niche'.
                  A Niche i happen to like !!!

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post
                    A Niche i happen to like !!!
                    Agreed, that wasn't meant as a negative. Just pointing out that it's got a bit of a niche' audience.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      Agreed, that wasn't meant as a negative. Just pointing out that it's got a bit of a niche' audience.
                      I know and I totally agree !!

Comment

???????????????
                        "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Just realized something: the MVC is going to be losing a boatload of cash in the upcoming years, as the units from Creighton will be finished in two or three years. So, not only is there more money in the MAC, there will also be less money in the MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                            Just realized something: the MVC is going to be losing a boatload of cash in the upcoming years, as the units from Creighton will be finished in two or three years. So, not only is there more money in the MAC, there will also be less money in the MVC.
                            pretty sure the MVC gets more units from the basketball fund than the MAC

Comment

The Valley has been getting more shares because when has the MAC had more than one bid, and when have they had a team win a game in the tournament. The last 5 years the Valley has had 18 to 20 shares (depending on first four, and final four shares)

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                pretty sure the MVC gets more units from the basketball fund than the MAC
                                Watch it moving forward.

I've already laid out the fact that MAC is, at the very (and I do mean very) least equal to the MVC in terms of quality. I could easily be argued the MAC is a head of the MVC.

Watch what happens with CU and WSU gone. Remember, that Only two non-UNI games have been played in the NCAA tournament by current MVC members (yes, I already moved WSU out) in the last decade (Drake in 08 and Indiana State in 11). The last team, not named UNI, to win a game in the NCAA tournament that will be an MVC member next year was 2007 - SIU.

NCAA shares last 6 years. Indiana State's bid was 2010-2011. Meaning it is paid out between 2012/13-2017/18. That means this is the last year a non-UNI/CU/WSU unit is being paid to this conference. The last CU unit will be paid by 2019. The final WSU unit will be paid by 2023.

There has been no diversity in teams getting bids from the MVC. Sure, someone will continue to get a bid, because that's how it works. How many teams do you trust to win games in the tournament moving forward?
                                Where are these units coming from in the future? Is it going to be a multibid league? If not, the MVC offers very little the MAC couldn't.

The MAC has had 5 different teams reach the NCAA tournament since 2012.

Akron has 3 bids in the last decade. Averaging 24 wins over the last 12 years and

Kent State has 3 bids, and a top 25 ranking, in the last 10-12 years. They are averaging 23 wins per season since 2000. 5 bids over that time. Wins in multiple NCAA tournaments

Buffalo has been to the NCAA tournament 2 of the last 3 years. Not a historically good team though.

Ohio got rolling under Tim O'Shea. John Groce got them to a S16 in 2012. The coach that replaced Groce, Jim Christian (the guy who got the ball really rolling at Kent State with 4 conference titles in 6 years between 02-08, won 49 games in 2 years and was hired by Boston College. Saul Phillips came in, had a rough first year, but has averaged 22 wins the last two.

I've already laid out the fact the RPI situation is better. Couple UNI with programs like Ohio, Akron, Kent State and multiple bids are more possible than pretty much any combo that MVC can throw out right now. Remember, Illinois State went 17-1 in conference and was 27-6 heading into selection Sunday and didn't get a bid.

Comment

Working...
                                X