WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Up Next: Bradley

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Historically bad???

You do realize UNI had basketball before 2004, right??
    Where does 2004 come from? This is the worst team UNI has put on the floor since at least pre Eldon Miller days. They still have a chance for a better record than a couple of Sam Weaver teams, but they play worse than any team I've ever seen. They have had 15-20 point deficits in the first half of every conference game and most of the non-conference. They are the worst team in the MVC by a long shot.

The very strong defense which up until this year could always keep us in any game no matter how bad we were offensively is gone. We are terrible on defense. On offense we are worse than ever, no one knows how to shoot the ball through the hoop, which should be a requirement for a DI college bb scholarship.

I know fully well they are not as bad skill wise as they have played. Their problems are 90% mental. Jake needs to start recruiting some kids with mental toughness, none of these players have it.

But I remain optimistic that they will win another game sometime this year. Probably not this next game, which will really set this board off, losing at home to Drake. I've seen nothing thus far that leads me to believe we can win against Drake, which is a much better team at this point.

No someday the players will remember how to shoot, how to play defense, and the stars will align just right and we will win a game, but it could be another 3-4 weeks.

Historically bad by any measure.
    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
      Where does 2004 come from? This is the worst team UNI has put on the floor since at least pre Eldon Miller days. They still have a chance for a better record than a couple of Sam Weaver teams, but they play worse than any team I've ever seen. They have had 15-20 point deficits in the first half of every conference game and most of the non-conference. They are the worst team in the MVC by a long shot.

The very strong defense which up until this year could always keep us in any game no matter how bad we were offensively is gone. We are terrible on defense. On offense we are worse than ever, no one knows how to shoot the ball through the hoop, which should be a requirement for a DI college bb scholarship.

I know fully well they are not as bad skill wise as they have played. Their problems are 90% mental. Jake needs to start recruiting some kids with mental toughness, none of these players have it.

But I remain optimistic that they will win another game sometime this year. Probably not this next game, which will really set this board off, losing at home to Drake. I've seen nothing thus far that leads me to believe we can win against Drake, which is a much better team at this point.

No someday the players will remember how to shoot, how to play defense, and the stars will align just right and we will win a game, but it could be another 3-4 weeks.

I agree this team can wind up in last place. The Sam Weaver 2000-01 team that had injuries to Severding and Breckenridge was a little worse. I recall they went something like 4-28.
      Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

We'll agree to disagree here. Eldon had some really bad teams, including one that didn't make the league tournament before the Valley started taking everybody. We're much more talented than most of Eldon's time here and light years ahead of Mac's first two years.

This year is an aberration.
        #MACtion

Comment

Of the young players I think Haldeman has the intensity and toughness. I think he will be a good one the next three years.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
            Of the young players I think Haldeman has the intensity and toughness. I think he will be a good one the next three years.
            I agree on Haldeman. We haven't seen enough of some of the other young guys to know. Morgan is obvious - he has been really clutch at times. I think Wyatt has it too despite the stretch early last year when he was extremely turnover prone - he showed a lot in the OTs in the tourney.

Comment

This is correct.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by Pantherlope2019 View Post
                I'm with you on playing Phyfe. My starting five would be Carlson, Phyfe, Brown, W. Lohaus, and Haldeman. Adding Pickford and McDermott would also help the outside shooting problem.

One thing Phyfe has going for him is that he is already so close to the team. And his family members are such big UNI supporters. I imagine he knows quite a lot about Jake's coaching already. It isn't like he has to wait to start learning until he comes to campus.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                  One thing Phyfe has going for him is that he is already so close to the team. And his family members are such big UNI supporters. I imagine he knows quite a lot about Jake's coaching already. It isn't like he has to wait to start learning until he comes to campus.
                  I have seen one Waverly game this season. The Phyfe kid looks agile with good shooting. We need a post that can rebound and shot. It's quite a bit to expect him to start next season, but judging by what has happened it would be possible. Another problem we need to solve is quickness. Although the zone press has helped the guards are taken off the dribble and are having problems closing out on the arc. I would like us to zone press/trap more because it would delay the opponent from getting into their set half court offense. Getting a turnover out of the press would lead to easier baskets as well.
                  Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-16-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

On a side note... no thread for tomorrow yet?

Comment

I've said many times this slower team needs to play more zone. They could play the extended version of the 2-3 or the box and 1. This way the dribble penetration could be contained and the guards can match up to the perimeter better than the packed in version of zone defense. Zone defense makes rebounding more difficult, but this team can't rebound out of the man to man defense.

Comment

It would. The one thing that Knar transferring and getting Ashton did was put a second scholarship in this class and getting one out of the year after. Pushing Wyatt back a year helps there too. Here's what the scholarship chart looks like with Wyatt's redshirt and I'll assume we get a wing that plays right away (I'll full on jinx it and put Pickford in)

Seniors (Class of 18)
                        Carlson RS
                        Friedman RS
                        Koch RS
                        Rhodes

Juniors (Class of 19)
                        W Lohaus RS

Sophomores (Class of 20)
                        Brown
                        Dahl RS
                        Haldeman RS
                        McCloud
                        McDermott RS (W/o next year, scholarship year after)
                        McDonnell RS

Freshmen (Class of 21)
                        T Lohaus RS
                        Phyfe
                        Pickford

McDermott could be pulled off scholarship for 1 year for a grad transfer.

We're still way unbalanced, but it's getting better but redshirting Phyfe does throw another scholarship into the class that already has 4 in it. I'm the end, you do what's best for the player no matter what it does to your scholarship situation.
                        I thought McDermott was walking on here? I hope they don't use a scholarship on another guy who is appears to only be a catch and shoot threat.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                          I thought McDermott was walking on here? I hope they don't use a scholarship on another guy who is appears to only be a catch and shoot threat.
                          I was curious about this too. I thought he was walking on and had a chance to earn a scholarship. Surely he can't earn it during a RS year? We recently made an offer for a 2017 scholarship, isn't that the only one open?
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                            I was curious about this too. I thought he was walking on and had a chance to earn a scholarship. Surely he can't earn it during a RS year? We recently made an offer for a 2017 scholarship, isn't that the only one open?
                            Correct, he's walking on. Or at least, some one is. If we do get Pickford or Sasha, we'd be at 13 scholarships if he walked on. If we don't get one of those two, we could hold out for another transfer or just give it to him.

Comment

His uncle can pay his way

Comment

We'll agree to disagree here. Eldon had some really bad teams, including one that didn't make the league tournament before the Valley started taking everybody. We're much more talented than most of Eldon's time here and light years ahead of Mac's first two years.

This year is an aberration.
                                I would argue that Eldon's 1989-1990 team was better than all of Greg McDermot's (Northern Iowa) teams and is on par with Jake's 2014-15 team. Miller's 89-90 team had a solid 10 man rotation of Steve Phyfe, Jason Reese, Cedric McCulla, Troy Mullenberg, Dale Turner, Brad Hill, Marice Newby, Cam Johnson, Nick Pace, and Johnathon Cox. The 1989-90 team lost by 3 in the round of 32 to a Minnesota team that lost to Georgia Tech by 3 in the Elite 8 game. Eldon's team (89-90), was a tough man to man defensive team that could rebound and defend the perimeter. That team was sound in every other phase of the game as well. The Miller team that was left out of St. Louis was in 1994-95. I think they managed 9 wins for the season though. I would take Eldon over Jake if you combine his entire tenure of Wittenburg College, W. Michigan, Ohio State, and Northern Iowa. Eldon went 5-6 in the NCAA tournament (6 appearances). Eldon made the round of sixteen twice in 1980 and 1983. Greg has made the round of sixteen twice with Creighton and I would consider him on par with Eldon. I understand that Eldon continues to be an assistant at D2 UNC Pembroke with his son.
                                Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-17-2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X