WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacobson's Named Mentioed for OK State Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobson's Named Mentioed for OK State Job

Ben mentioned for OSU job. Doubt it is anything serious, but you never know.

Re: Jacobson's Named Mentioed for OK State Job

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post
    Ben mentioned for OSU job. Doubt it is anything serious, but you never know.

http://newsok.com/article/5542249
    Yeah, this seems like wishful thinking from this newspaper rather than any actual discussion. They just took a bunch of coaches and said, "Hey, we could get them."
    Last edited by sevelev711; 03-20-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Unless they are willing to open up the checkbook a little more I don't see them getting anyone on that list.

Comment

There are some pretty qualified people in that list. Interesting to see Doug Gottlieb's name. I didn't realize he was interested, or would even have the experience to be considered.

Comment

Didn't a Chris Olivier end up there? That reason alone really makes me question whether Jake would want to go there. He might have to do some major cleaning house there, or change the way he works.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Doug Gottlieb is getting that job. They almost gave it to him last time until they found out Underwood was interested.

Its not a significant raise and its a terrible culture fit for Jake. I put the chances at less than 1% that Jake ends up there.
            #MACtion

Comment

I'm a little surprised OK St isn't more serious about basketball. $1M is not a large number at a P5 program. They also had some semi recent success when Eddie Sutton was there. That part of the country is more football oriented, but that hasn't stopped some similar schools from putting in resources.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                I'm a little surprised OK St isn't more serious about basketball. $1M is not a large number at a P5 program. They also had some semi recent success when Eddie Sutton was there. That part of the country is more football oriented, but that hasn't stopped some similar schools from putting in resources.
                Hell, won't we be paying Jacobson a little over 1 million towards the end of his current contract?

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  Doug Gottlieb is getting that job. They almost gave it to him last time until they found out Underwood was interested.

Its not a significant raise and its a terrible culture fit for Jake. I put the chances at less than 1% that Jake ends up there.
                  I know Gottlieb wants the job and nobody thinks higher of Doug Gottlieb than Doug Gottlieb, but what makes him qualified for this job? Sure, he's an alumni and son of a coach, but he's been stuck in a radio booth the last couple years and he wasn't good enough to be on any of CBS' studio or live game coverage of this year's tournament. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any coaching experience, but he had NBA ties and carried some actual clout when it came to talking with recruits. I'm not sure Gottlieb has that clout.

Is there something I'm missing here or are they just hoping a local "hero" will be able to come in and build a program?

Comment

If he gets the job, I give Gottlieb 8 months before one of his tweets results in an NCAA rules infraction.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                      I know Gottlieb wants the job and nobody thinks higher of Doug Gottlieb than Doug Gottlieb, but what makes him qualified for this job? Sure, he's an alumni and son of a coach, but he's been stuck in a radio booth the last couple years and he wasn't good enough to be on any of CBS' studio or live game coverage of this year's tournament. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any coaching experience, but he had NBA ties and carried some actual clout when it came to talking with recruits. I'm not sure Gottlieb has that clout.

Is there something I'm missing here or are they just hoping a local "hero" will be able to come in and build a program?
                      It's kind of a package deal. His brother Greg is a long time assistant and really well thought of as an Xs and Os guy. The plan is that Doug would be the face, recruiter and keeper of credit cards and that Greg would do a lot of the design.

They almost hired him last time but Underwood came late. I think it will fail spectacularly, but that's what they're going to do. It's not like the arena can get any emptier...
                      #MACtion

Comment

Gottlieb's Radio show is done as of April 14. Although if he were taking the OSU job, you would think he would leave immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Any of you fellas ever been to Stillwater, OK?

It's a strange setting. Like putting a Big 12 university in Newton but more rural.

I don't think Jake's moving the fam to Stillwater.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Side note here but anyone else get a laugh at the picture of Underwood and the Illinois AD holding up a piece of paper with the #WeWillWin first of all why not something like a basketball jersey or put him in an orange blazer or something. Secondly that has to be like the lamest hashtag ever. We Will Win its like were really trying here and we will win eventually but give it time.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                              Secondly that has to be like the lamest hashtag ever. We Will Win its like were really trying here and we will win eventually but give it time.
                              I assume that they were going for something similar to "Trust the Process," but then realized that being creative is hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X