WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tressel Out at OSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tressel Out at OSU

Well said, Jeg. If every college had a beat writer with one tenth of the journalistic integrity and talent as the guy who wrote the SI article, we would see dozens of stories just like this every year.

The problem with sports journalism (and most journalism) today is that everyone just wants to get along and be buddy-buddy with the school or person/government they are assigned to cover. They think they will be the first to "get the scoop" if they are friendly with the program. In the end, they usually just end up serving as an extension of the Sports Information department.

Comment

I have yet to hear a single national commentator fail to admit that this happens everywhere. It is a story at OSU, Auburn and USC not because of success alone, but because people got brazen about it. Writers aren't doing expose's at every school because they have their cheating under control and nobody is willing to say where the bodies are buried.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
        I have yet to hear a single national commentator fail to admit that this happens everywhere. It is a story at OSU, Auburn and USC not because of success alone, but because people got brazen about it. Writers aren't doing expose's at every school because they have their cheating under control and nobody is willing to say where the bodies are buried.
        That is probably true, but you would have to admit there is a fair amount of "looking the other way" by the media these days. I shouldn't just blame the reporters though... Editors and publishers are probably very unwilling to run with stories that would upset a significant portion of their subscribers.

Comment

All I can say is this story is that it will totally F up my Fulmer Cup pool - I had Auburn as a repeat champ, but the Vest has blown that all to h***.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
            That is probably true, but you would have to admit there is a fair amount of "looking the other way" by the media these days. I shouldn't just blame the reporters though... Editors and publishers are probably very unwilling to run with stories that would upset a significant portion of their subscribers.
            This is an interesting area. I think some media are happy to cover for a school, especially the rivals type services that need to beg for access. I think some are happy to take the big story, even if it costs a favorite program. The "media" took down SMU. The Register has, from time-to-time, been hard on Iowa and Iowa State.

Most of the lack of coverage I believe can be summed up in my earlier post (and is also in part attributable to bad and lazy reporters - our J-schools are a mess, and I say that as someone with a lot of friends and acquaintences in that business), but unquestionably there are media organizations happy to carry the water for a school.

Comment

100% agreed Jeg. I just think that when you find it, throw the book at the perps. It won't cure the problem, but who cares?

IMO, dig into Ohio State like there's no tomorrow and root out whatever is there. The scrutiny exposes two things: 1) that Tressel is a hypocrite for his pious, religous, and above it all act. 2) that Big Ten ethics can potentially be as bad as those in the SEC, ACC, etc. All in all, I think the Big Ten is more ethically sound than the SEC, but not to the point that the Big Ten in John Paul II, and the SEC is Adolf Hitler. That's what some blindly fanatic Big Ten fans would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                I just think that when you find it, throw the book at the perps.
                This is true. The only way to get college athletics back under control is to make punishments severe enough to scare programs in similar positions into cleaning up their act. If this means bringing back the death penalty so be it.

If the NCAA starts imposing program altering sanctions like multi year TV and bowl/postseason bans along with complete scholarship losses, the current state of college athletics will begin to change for the better. Programs will realize the benefits of cheating do not outweigh the risks.
                Originally posted by TH1974
                This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Thought: If this Ohio State scandel runs as deep or even deeper than SI has reported, do we think the NCAA will give them the "death penalty" like SMU got? I'm not saying they will or they should or vice versa, I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                    Thought: If this Ohio State scandel runs as deep or even deeper than SI has reported, do we think the NCAA will give them the "death penalty" like SMU got? I'm not saying they will or they should or vice versa, I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.
                    I think that they might "be too big to fail."
                    Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
                      This happens in IC, Ames, even Cedar Falls. Again, not to this extent but there are "perks" to every single program in America. Maybe not facilitated by the coach mind you, but perks everywhere. It might be as simple as having a $85 pizza a beer tab wiped out at the OP on a Saturday night after a game, to getting "sweat heart" deals on cars at dealerships...
                      Agreed Jeg. A thought comes to mind of Steve Alford's day in IC. Recall stories of entitlement attitude?

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                        Agreed Jeg. A thought comes to mind of Steve Alford's day in IC. Recall stories of entitlement attitude?
                        as long as we are using inaccurate, inapplicable analogies, i would like to compare this tOSU case to the GM bailout.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                          as long as we are using inaccurate, inapplicable analogies, i would like to compare this tOSU case to the GM bailout.
                          Originally posted by casbern View Post
                          I think that they might "be too big to fail."
                          Wasn't the bank bailout close enough for you?
                          Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

I would like to see Ohio State get the death penalty personally just to set an example for other schools, but it will never happen, they bring in more money than any other NCAA school.

That fact comes from my cousin who is a VP at LRG, the licensing firm in charge of many schools including UNI.

Comment

i dont think their violations warrant the death penalty.

Comment

This will have to end up being a lot bigger than we know right now for OSU to get the death penalty.
                                UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Working...
                                X