WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Presidential Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNI Presidential Search

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
    Many campus people will be disappointed...
    understatement of the year....and now he'll be moving somewhere else most likely....so yeah, not impressed today

Comment

Originally posted by UnderParPanther View Post
      understatement of the year
      I feel an explanation on these statements is needed.

Comment

basically the same a '73 said he was doing a good job in the interim and was well liked by everyone.

Comment

Many campus people will be disappointed...
          Hopefully people will be open minded and give the new guy a chance. And Wohlpart should stick around, afterall given Nook's resume of hopping around and the average tenure of a university president of five years, Wohlpart will get his chance again. I do hope Nook does very well here and stays for a while to accomplish good things for UNI and Cedar Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderParPanther View Post
            basically the same a '73 said he was doing a good job in the interim and was well liked by everyone.
            So it's based on the fact that Nook got the job over him and not based on anything "personal" about Nook.

Comment

correct. Nook could be the best president we have ever had, but i dont know him or anything about him. Just reacting to what I knew about Wohlport from various people in different departments really liking what he was doing and hoping it would continue.

Comment

Wohlport is well liked on both sides of Hudson and has done a really good job as interim moving UNI forward.
                I've seen that phrase a couple times now, maybe it was you both times. It that how CF is characterized now, by which side of Hudson you are on? That's funny because Hudson was pretty much the western edge of town when I was there. Although there was a junior high a few blocks west of it.

A bit like Des Moines, when I moved here 86th St was the western edge of town. Now 86th St is probably less than half way from downtown to the western edge, which never stops moving.

That's right, I'm old.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 3 candidates. I heard the interim guy speak once and he was fine, but no reason to think the one who got the job won't be fine. I wasn't too exited about the other guy who got fired (whatever) from his last job. There's always a good excuse for that coming from the employee, but all things being equal, it is what it is.
                Last edited by GonzoCat; 12-06-2016, 06:29 PM.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                  I've seen that phrase a couple times now, maybe it was you both times. It that how CF is characterized now, by which side of Hudson you are on? That's funny because Hudson was pretty much the western edge of town when I was there. Although there was a junior high a few blocks west of it.

A bit like Des Moines, when I moved here 86th St was the western edge of town. Now 86th St is probably less than half way from downtown to the western edge, which never stops moving.

That's right, I'm old.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 3 candidates. I heard the interim guy speak once and he was fine, but no reason to think the one who got the job won't be fine. I wasn't too exited about the other guy who got fired (whatever) from his last job. There's always a good excuse for that coming from the employee, but all things being equal, it is what it is.
                  I think the reference to both sides of Hudson refers to the Athletic Department on one side and the rest of the University on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                    I think the reference to both sides of Hudson refers to the Athletic Department on one side and the rest of the University on the other.

Yeah. Thought that was pretty clear. Hudson is the clear dividing line between athletics and academics.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                      Ah, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Pretty obvious once you spell it out. Although the west gym is on the east side, which makes you wonder where the east gym is.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                        Ah, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Pretty obvious once you spell it out. Although the west gym is on the east side, which makes you wonder where the east gym is.
                        East Gym (Women's Gym, IIRC) is now the Innovative Teaching and Technolgy Center, just north and east of the library:

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

And the West Gym was originally called the Men's Gym. East/Women's was built first and in the first decades of the 20th century, it was the only gym.

No, that was before my time on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                            And the West Gym was originally called the Men's Gym. East/Women's was built first and in the first decades of the 20th century, it was the only gym.

No, that was before my time on campus.
                            Right by the original power plant, which is where the union expanded in the late '80s.

At one time, the former "Dynamo Room" for the steam plant was used as an Anthropology Lab (had an anthro class in there) in the decades after its use for ... dynamoing (?):

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

My biggest concern with our new President is he wil have to answer to a board of regents that will have to make cuts and or raise tuition now that the state legislature and governor are controlled by republicans.

My gut feeling will be we will be forced to "fish or cut bait" in support of our division I athletic program. Subsidies to our athletics from the general fund may come to an end--the state legislators now feel they have the mandate to reduce taxes and decrease spending. Our athletic program is an easy target.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                                My biggest concern with our new President is he wil have to answer to a board of regents that will have to make cuts and or raise tuition now that the state legislature and governor are controlled by republicans.

My gut feeling will be we will be forced to "fish or cut bait" in support of our division I athletic program. Subsidies to our athletics from the general fund may come to an end--the state legislators now feel they have the mandate to reduce taxes and decrease spending. Our athletic program is an easy target.
                                Could be, who knows? You may want to search for what Kim Reynolds has said about this. She's your next Governor. Terry Brandstad was just announced as the new Ambassador to China.

Comment

Working...
                                X