WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailgating Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating Advice

Originally posted by PantherChic View Post
    Here's my advice -just come tailgate and see what it's like. It won't be a U of I atmosphere but we aren't the U of I. We're UNI and you'll be welcomed and have a great time if you don't have a bunch of pre-conceived ideas on what it should be like. Just come and enjoy! Then scream loud at the game!

Good advice. We will certainly come and have a great time.

However, I've been to other Big 10 (only once at Kinnick), Big 12, and bowl games, as well as plenty of D3 games. Part of my style of enjoying events is anticipating them. The more I know, the better I'm able to prepare, and the more I enjoy it. In fact, today, I repacked my big purple tote with UNI tailgate supplies!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
      Good advice. We will certainly come and have a great time.

However, I've been to other Big 10 (only once at Kinnick), Big 12, and bowl games, as well as plenty of D3 games. Part of my style of enjoying events is anticipating them. The more I know, the better I'm able to prepare, and the more I enjoy it. In fact, today, I repacked my big purple tote with UNI tailgate supplies!
      I need a "like" button for the last sentence!

Comment

Originally posted by PantherChic View Post
        I need a "like" button for the last sentence!

And we started breaking in a new set of purple cornhole bags made by a friend.

Comment

Does "fair" mean a few hundred? A few thousand? I was hoping it would be around 1000 two hours before the game.
          It really depends on the weekend. Come family weekend / homecoming / SIU / NDSU games the lots are full around 3-4 hours prior to the game. The other games depend upon where you are tailgating. For example, the grass lots mentioned earlier can be packed 4 hours before, or they can be sparce right up to kick off. On the other hand, the lots North of the dome can be full 3 hours prior to kickoff every weekend (except the ISU-UI game) as it is mostly students.

Of course, all of this is dependent upon weather. Even though the dome is 72 degrees tailgating does drop off in poor weather. But it does lead to an awesome intro... Outside, blizard conditions, flying snow at 12 degrees with a WSW wind of 18 mph. Inside, 72 degrees and dry. It's PANTHER FOOTBALL!!! (or something like that)

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
            It really depends on the weekend. Come family weekend / homecoming / SIU / NDSU games the lots are full around 3-4 hours prior to the game. The other games depend upon where you are tailgating. For example, the grass lots mentioned earlier can be packed 4 hours before, or they can be sparce right up to kick off. On the other hand, the lots North of the dome can be full 3 hours prior to kickoff every weekend (except the ISU-UI game) as it is mostly students.

Of course, all of this is dependent upon weather. Even though the dome is 72 degrees tailgating does drop off in poor weather. But it does lead to an awesome intro... Outside, blizard conditions, flying snow at 12 degrees with a WSW wind of 18 mph. Inside, 72 degrees and dry. It's PANTHER FOOTBALL!!! (or something like that)

Thanks. So, assuming good weather for the home opener against Drake, what would you expect? I'm thinking the high end of your estimates.

Comment

If UNI finds a way to win in Ames, could be a sell out.

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters

Comment

Thanks. So, assuming good weather for the home opener against Drake, what would you expect? I'm thinking the high end of your estimates.
                I'd guess about average. Not many are excited about playing the Dawgs and some families may look at paying $30 each to watch the game a little excessive. However, the squaks are playing MSU and the other birds are off. So, we do have that going for us...

I hope you are right and the lots are packed early. I'd enjoy having a beverage with ya with plenty of neighbors playing in the grass and pissing in the trees.

Comment

I'm excited about playing the Dawgs b/c it is UNI football, and it is the home opener. Is it the toughest opponent on the schedule, no. But it is a home football game.

Comment

And the register made a point to note how Drake made the top 25 last year while UNI was dropped from them. I hope we annihilate them

Comment

It sounds like most of you have self-contained tailgates. Where is the best place that has a sense of community and shared experience with other tailgaters? We would love to land next to some folks to talk football, share tailgate games, etc.
                      We always enjoy meeting new people. Stop by, say hi & hang out for a bit. We always park by the side walk in the South grass lot across from the Power Plant. It's hard to miss us, just look for the 31ft UNI motorhome. We are usually there at least 4 hrs prior to kickoff. They just prefer you don't start drinking until 4 hrs prior. I think this game will be hard to predict the tailgating crowd. It's Family Week (usually busy) but it's also Drake (usually not much of a game). I suggest come early, it's always fun to watch the lot fill up if it isn't full early.

Comment

Originally posted by Geno4UNI View Post
                        We always enjoy meeting new people. Stop by, say hi & hang out for a bit. We always park by the side walk in the South grass lot across from the Power Plant. It's hard to miss us, just look for the 31ft UNI motorhome. We are usually there at least 4 hrs prior to kickoff. They just prefer you don't start drinking until 4 hrs prior. I think this game will be hard to predict the tailgating crowd. It's Family Week (usually busy) but it's also Drake (usually not much of a game). I suggest come early, it's always fun to watch the lot fill up if it isn't full early.
                        The Drake game is untested at the Dome. The game will suck because we will kill them. The tailgating should be good because it's the first home game. Look for our 10 foot Nissan. Anyone that brags about anything 31 foot long is lacking some where else.
                        "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Not bragging, just stating a fact. Did I say something to offend you or warrant that reply?

Comment

Looking forward to seeing many of you for the Drake game. We tailgate before each ISU game, but this will be our first for a UNI game. Hope being a dual fan doesn't diminish the welcome. We have become serious UNI fans. I added some purple totes, purple cornhole bags, and purple ladder golf balls. We already had a UNI flag to display on our white tent.

Comment

Just leave the red shirts at home . You should see an epic beatdown. Unfortunately don't know how many people will been in there.... Too bad your first game wasn't one of the New Hampshire playoff games a few years back. I probably lost 50% of my hearing from those games.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIDebo View Post
                                Just leave the red shirts at home . You should see an epic beatdown. Unfortunately don't know how many people will been in there.... Too bad your first game wasn't one of the New Hampshire playoff games a few years back. I probably lost 50% of my hearing from those games.

I'm even pulling out my new purple tote to haul gear! Wearing my UNI dry-fit shirt as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X