WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Gotcha, keep up the good fight. I scratch my head trying to figure out why more people don't support such a successful program.

Comment

yes, sitting around drinking booze in the parking lot provides such great support for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
        Gotcha, keep up the good fight. I scratch my head trying to figure out why more people don't support such a successful program.
        It takes generations for this happen.

Comment

This goes beyond just the tailgating issue, that just happens to be the latest in the string. And Jay, its not about the booze, its about the event. Its about being able to have a fun get together with friends and family without being hassled by an angry looking, over bearing, too big for her britches cop.

Look at Iowa, it has become ingrained in Hawk fans that regardless of game time you get to IC before dawn and set up and have a party. Why are we trying to stop that from happening? Why don't we want our football Saturdays to be an event that gets passed down for generations? We have to start somewhere, we're not going to build it in a day, a week, a season, or even ten seasons; but right now we're doing everything in our power to make sure it never happens. If you want to talk the talk about being major college football and a major university and major athletic department, you have to act the part.

Look at the ticket office debacles, ticket pricing, etc.

We have done too much in the past few years to keep people away. I am not saying we need to go back to the Hartzell method of giving thousands of tickets away, but we have to find the right things to get people to be UNI people.

for the rant...
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
            yes, sitting around drinking booze in the parking lot provides such great support for the program.
            Why are you required to drink booze while tailgating?
            Originally posted by TH1974
            This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              Why are you required to drink booze while tailgating?
              it was my understanding that the people that complain about being "hassled" by the cops are being told not that they can't gather prior to the "4 hours before gametime", but that they can't openly drink alcohol.

Comment

it was my understanding that the people that complain about being "hassled" by the cops are being told not that they can't gather prior to the "4 hours before gametime", but that they can't openly drink alcohol.
                Should clarify.

Was told 'You guys can't be here yet, I'll let that slide this time, but don't let me catch you drinking. Don't do it next home game.'

BTW, we'll be there even earlier on the 28th...
                #MACtion

Comment

We will be cooking up breakfast on the 28th. They can politely F off. We are just some nice peaceful folks enjoying the lovely weather and hang out with some friends.
                  Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

The nuts and bolts of the conversation is about an existing rule which prohibits tailgating 4 hours prior to kickoff, not how the rule is enforced.

The rule creates a disincentive to come outside to tailgate prior to UNI games.

Nobody is claiming sitting around in a parking lot drinking booze provides support for the team.
                    This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

I agree the signs restricting tailgating are ridiculous-but we've never had a cop tell us to stop or not do it next game or anything like that.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Look at the ticket office debacles, ticket pricing, etc.

for the rant...
                        I've heard all the rants about the ticket office, but never truly had issues until this year. We are trying to get 2 additional season basketball tickets next to our current seats and cannot do it. We call UNITix and it goes to an answering machine. The return calls come at 4:55 and if you can't answer, they are closed within 5 minutes of calling and you have to leave another message. This has been going on for 6 weeks. Complete disaster.

Back to the thread topic though....more needs to be done to encourage students to go out and tailgate. The North lot is getting a little more action, but still isn't what a student tailgate lot should be like. Tailgating needs to be encouraged. The more you get people to campus the better.

Comment

I was told UNI had a no-tailgating policy my freshman year. No joke.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                            I've heard all the rants about the ticket office, but never truly had issues until this year. We are trying to get 2 additional season basketball tickets next to our current seats and cannot do it. We call UNITix and it goes to an answering machine. The return calls come at 4:55 and if you can't answer, they are closed within 5 minutes of calling and you have to leave another message. This has been going on for 6 weeks. Complete disaster.

Back to the thread topic though....more needs to be done to encourage students to go out and tailgate. The North lot is getting a little more action, but still isn't what a student tailgate lot should be like. Tailgating needs to be encouraged. The more you get people to campus the better.
                            I've had my issues with UNItix. but I don't know if I've ever had to leave a message. Might have gone to voicemail once or twice, but I usually hang up and try back a few minutes later. Usually get someone on the line.

Comment

We used to get the same treatment. When we lived in Ankeny, many times especially later in the season, our day began before dawn. We were extensive tailgaiters, packing the F-150 club cab to the gills and heading for UNI. We'd pack an awning, flags and pole, generator, games sirius boom box, tables crock pots, carpet, and depending on the season sides for enclosure, sometimes complete enclosure on those late season dates.

For the main course we'd bring a charcoal/wood smoker for hams, turkey, brisket, etc. Imagine our joy when we hit the lot and bailed out of the truck, each with our jobs to do for maximum efficiency so we could eventually socialize, when up steps the security officer threatening to make us leave. Yep, that happened more than once. We also got the line about no alcohol which we weren't doing, so we made a ritual out of conducting a countdown and saluting security with beers.

Think of it. Here are a truckload of alums and friends driving 110 miles and that is the welcome we get. I understand the role of security, to corral the unruly and keep order, but I think someone should actually be out of line (drunks, belligerents) before they are hassled.

If someone wants to show up with a bag of peanut butter sandwiches and a 6 pack of Coke, a couple of lawn chairs, and just came in from Waterloo 4 hours would probably do it. But it takes a good 45 minutes to get everthing set up and running, and you have to start breaking down about an hour before kick. So 2 hours and 15 minutes should do it?

Tailgaiting at UNI is amazing, I really miss it. They used to do things like cart TC around to get the crowd enthused, heck they ought to sent the marching band and cheerleaders through the crowd to enhance the atmosphere. As far as I'm concerned they can't do enough to promote the game day experience, as long as there is a seat without a kiester to go in it.

Heres the thing. I've always said this about Iowa, if it isn't mandatory, its prohiibited. The authorities are scared to death that someone will have a good time, or someone will be offended seeing others having one. Yes, keep order. Round up the troublemakers, drunks, etc. but leave the alums alone, and get rid of that ridiculous 4 hour limit.

Comment

It is a generational thing and tailgating has seriously exploded since my group started tailgating there about 22 years ago. The number of people tailgating has seriously jumped by 1000%. There was our group and a group that had a UNI van that parked in the corner of the lot that is now the McLeod. We had a group of about 8 (still together by the way) and they had the same. So in that regard 9yr is right about it being generational. We are now well into the second generation of tailgaters in our group.
                                "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X