WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article out of Ames today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting article out of Ames today

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
    $25,000 for 14 rooms and a suite? Bush league...
    Yeah, that figure had to have been overblown, but probably not by much. The suite alone is probably 75% of the figure.

Comment

Hoiberg isn't going to burn any bridges. He still wants to be the poster boy of Iowa State Athletics.

I think Doc Sadler was probably behind a lot of the information. As always, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I still think that Leath wants to dump Pollard.
      #MACtion

Comment

That was great radio, Pollard was fired up!

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          Hoiberg isn't going to burn any bridges. He still wants to be the poster boy of Iowa State Athletics.

I think Doc Sadler was probably behind a lot of the information. As always, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

It says a lot that Fred took time out of his day to do a phone interview to disprove that article, when he could have said no comment or he was too busy if there was some truth.

I think Hines got some sources that had an agenda against JP.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
            Pollard just said check out was at noon and the flight was at 6pm.
            They saved $25,000 for not checking back into their rooms for 3 hours.
            That portion of the article was way overblown.
            Hello! You've got 4 hours in the afternoon to spend in Hawaii... It's December and you live in Iowa... What do you do? ... Let's see, spend it in a hotel lobby!
            How dumb are these guys? Go to the beach!

Maybe this is the players talking - who else would demand anonymity? I can see a bunch of players who think they are the greatest concluding that they got wronged because someone didn't spend a several thousand dollars an hour for 3 hours in a hotel room.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
              Hello! You've got 4 hours in the afternoon to spend in Hawaii... It's December and you live in Iowa... What do you do? ... Let's see, spend it in a hotel lobby!
              How dumb are these guys? Go to the beach!

Maybe this is the players talking - who else would demand anonymity? I can see a bunch of players who think they are the greatest concluding that they got wronged because someone didn't spend a several thousand dollars an hour for 3 hours in a hotel room.
              Maybe they were all tired from playing in a tournament and just wanted to relax on be on their phones?
              They probably already spent a lot of time at the beach and just wanted to chill.
              I doubt sun bathing for a couple hours and then jumping on a long flight is at the top of their lists.

EDIT: During the phone interview today, Fred stated that during the 3-4 hour time period between check out and their flight the players went swimming with Hoiberg's twins. With all of the refuting that JP and Hoiberg did today, it really makes Hines look foolish. He was getting some inaccurate information from his sources and didn't care to fact check things that could have easily been found out.
              Last edited by cydave; 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Jamie Pollard has done a lot of good things for ISU, especially relating to finances and the budget for the athletic department.

IMO, he has a ginormous ego and I can totally believe the part in the article about him being a bit jealous of Hoiberg and the BB program's success.

It's been reported by the original founder and owner of CycloneFanatic.com, who would know as much as anyone else in Ames, that JP, despite all the financial growth that has occurred on his watch, still wants to operate things as cheaply as he possibly can.

A part of me would be sad to see him leave, but an equal part of me would shrug my shoulders.

Comment

Funny how this stuff didn't come out until Hoiberg was gone.
                  "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Pollard has been fantastic for Iowa State. I have no doubt that he would fire Paul Rhoads if he thought that was what was best for the program. It could happen this year, but probably won't, especially if Iowa State wins a few more games. They have done very, very well in recruiting in the JUCOs during the last two years.

I haven't listened to the interview, but Pollard almost always comes across defensive and whiney, even when he is trying to be positive and enthusiastic. His emails and letters to season ticket holders are awful. Yet, he has made some incredibly good moves, most notably hiring Hoiberg, hiring Prohm (who already has shown himself to be a better recruiter than Hoiberg), and getting the south endzone bowled in (and sold out).

He is pretty deeply committed to Iowa State. He might consider going to Wisconsin or Notre Dame, but I think he is really trying to do something special with Iowa State. If Rhoads can get to bowls a few years in a row, Pollard will be seen in the college athletics world as a genius.

Comment

Rhodes is about to go 2-10 in year 7. That should be unacceptable for any program regardless of the history of the program.

Leath is going to demand Rhodes be fired. It's up to Jamie if he wants to keep his job or go with his drinking buddy.

Jamie's amazing in that he may get to make a 3rd football hire after two have failed (though I suspect Chizik would have been successful after he fixed his terrible staff had Auburn not come calling, though Iowa State probably would have ended up on probation). Nobody gets to do that. Nobody.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Jamie's amazing in that he may get to make a 3rd football hire after two have failed. Nobody gets to do that. Nobody.
                        Evy hired Jerry Burns and Ray Nagel; but I believe that it was Bump Elliot that hired Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings before he finally found Hayden.

It might be unusual, but you don't need to look far to find an example. Either Evy or Bump hired 3 coaches searching for a winner in Iowa City.
                        Last edited by '70 Grad; 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                          Evy hired Jerry Burns and Ray Nagel; but I believe that it was Bump Elliot that hired Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings before he finally found Hayden.

It might be unusual, but you don't need to look far to find an example. Either Evy or Bump hired 3 coaches searching for a winner in Iowa City.
                          That was 40-50 years ago. Doesn't happen in today's world of college athletics...
                          #MACtion

Comment

Fair point. People are a lot more restless today. We shall see if/when Pollard pulls the plug on Paul this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                              If Rhoads can get to bowls a few years in a row, Pollard will be seen in the college athletics world as a genius.
                              Do you honestly see that happening though? I'm not saying "is it possible" because of course it's possible. But there is almost zero evidence that Rhodes is capable of doing this. Like BC said, it's year 7 and once again he has nothing to show for it. His only bowl game was not with "his guys"

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                                Do you honestly see that happening though? I'm not saying "is it possible" because of course it's possible. But there is almost zero evidence that Rhodes is capable of doing this. Like BC said, it's year 7 and once again he has nothing to show for it. His only bowl game was not with "his guys"

Iowa State is 2:14 against Iowa and a FG against Toledo from being 3-0. And Iowa State's non-conference opponents are 9-1.

Comment

Working...
                                X