WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU to play at Target Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to play at Target Field?

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
    I like the idea of playing them there . . . but not at the expense of a home game.

What is the likely payday for playing a game there? NDSU would probably do it as part of their branding. We should only consider it if it is just an insanely good payday.
    If it was their home game there most likely would be no payday. It would actually save us in travel costs I assume.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

If the seating was still set at 40,000 after adding the field and the Bison kept the ticket price the same as they charge at the FargoDome at $50, they're looking at $2,000,000 before expenses. Raising it to $75 a ticket (assuming they bring in UNI or SDSU) then it will bring in $3,000,000. Of course, the Twins will get their cut (maybe give them concessions).

Either way, NDSU should make a nice chunk of change if it happens. I don't think UNI should ever sign a two-game deal where they give up a home game as well to play up there, unless it's like UNIDad said, for a good payday.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
        If it was their home game there most likely would be no payday. It would actually save us in travel costs I assume.

I would be okay with it if it was their home game.

I would only begin to think about giving up our home game if there was an insane amount of money on the table . . . and even then probably wouldn't accept it because the NDSU game is the best opportunity to build our brand locally . . . maybe even Hok and Clone fans would come to see an in-state team that can handle the Bison.

Comment

I'm assuming we'd have to be stuck with our usual TV package for this kind of game. It would be great if the conference office would help push this to a higher tier TV partner. ESPNU or FS1 would be ideal.

Comment

If UNI was offered a 2 game series with $750k guaranteed each year, would you expect the AD to pass that up? And let's be clear, some sponsorship would be able to help guarantee the money up front.

30,000 tix x $50/tix= $1.5 million (pre-expense)

We get, what...8,000 season tix at $125/tix average? That's $1 Million.

If UNI is able to get a guaranteed $1.5 million over 2 years and give up only one home game...especially in a 12 game season year...how do you NOT do that? And to display our product in the Twin Cities where we recruit heavily...I like the idea.
            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
              If UNI was offered a 2 game series with $750k guaranteed each year, would you expect the AD to pass that up? And let's be clear, some sponsorship would be able to help guarantee the money up front.

If UNI is able to get a guaranteed $1.5 million over 2 years and give up only one home game...especially in a 12 game season year...how do you NOT do that? And to display our product in the Twin Cities where we recruit heavily...I like the idea.
              If this was this scenario there is no way that we turn it down.
              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post

You take this deal in a heartbeat.

You don't take giving up a home game just to play a game in the Twin Cities with no financial incentive.
                #MACtion

Comment

In fact, I think just based on those numbers, you tell NDSU that you just want the guarantee and they can keep the rest (or the decrease in revenue) if they take care of the expense and we can both carry the game on our respective networks (unless a regional/national carrier wants the game...which I think is doubtful given that the game would occur late in September at the earliest). If they think they can 40k there at a higher tix price, more power to them. UNI needs the guarantee money.

I don't even know if we need to make this a back to back year thing. This could be in 2017 (NDSU home game already scheduled) and 2019 (12 game schedule year and UNI flips their 2018 or 2020 home game to NDSU....which I really wouldn't mind as we are on a schedule that pits UNI on road vs NDSU/SDSU/SIU/ILSU the same year currently).

If you could get a $750k Twin Cities guarantee, a $500k FBS guarantee, and sell $1+ million in season tickets, you are on your way to helping solve some of our financial woes.
                  The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

You also would have to be guaranteed that we have a minimum of five games at home in that particular year. You can't bring a four game home slate to season ticket holders.

Its hard enough as it is to get home games, I'm not in favor of losing any.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Those numbers sound nice, but does NDSU have to pay UNI or come to a financial agreement if there is a change in venue that only affects NDSU losing a home game? Afterall, they are already scheduled to play each other. I could see the financial agreement form if it was in one of the seasons where UNI and NDSU aren't scheduled to play each other and then that game could be considered the pre-conference money game.

Comment

I dont' see us getting $750K under any circumstances. I don't think we've ever got that much in a FBS game. NDSU is the draw, not UNI, they can get a high level non-con FCS team to play for a lot less than that.
                        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Keep in mind, UNI and NDSU are both 'giving up' one home game. It's in an area both teams would like to gain attention. We've never gotten $750k before, this is true. However, FBS opponents get $1 million or more to play games. I'm just saying if you are going to split the revenue and can get $750k-ish per game, you should do it. NDSU is just looking for a partner...we should be willing.

Comment

Oh, I agree we should be willing. I just don't see any reason why NDSU would be willing to split the revenue with UNI. We should probably be willing at a 2/1 split. $500K would also be more than we have ever received from ISU or UI I think. May have gotten over that from Wisconsin. Just about any FCS team not named Montana would probably be willing to come in and play NDSU for $350K in a one off.
                            Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-27-2016, 04:29 PM.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I still think what makes the most sense is 1 game, Bison home game, no money exchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                                $500K would also be more than we have ever received from ISU or UI I think.
                                It's possible the payout from ISU may have been around that with the clause about percentage of gate revenue, but I don't know any of the actual numbers from those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X