WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big 12 will not expand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big 12 will not expand

Originally posted by claw View Post
    $50 mil for a basketball arena that holds 5,700 people. That's not good math. Oh, not only that it's not truly a basketball arena. It's a building that happens to have a basketball court in it. Seriously, look at the construction photos. So what you got was a 50 million dollar building that has an indoor track, a basketball court, the hall of fame, etc... and all they did was section off a part of the building and put a court in it.

This would be like UNI bragging about the WRC being something 10 times what it is.

It also looks like the seats are going to be 20 or 30 feet from the court. Not great for sight-lines in a basketball arena of only 5,700

Well (pardon the pun) it is big enough to accommodate everyone that is willing to venture outside in the winter in North Dakota other than the oil people that have to go to work.

Comment

Absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. Even though I am not a ND resident, I appreciate the university attempting to maximize the use of the dollars spent. It looks like a step up from what they had.

Comment

I think the point is that's not a "$50M Basketball Arena". That is a respectable place to play basketball that's part of a $50M building. Picture reminds me of the Knapp Center. And with with Indiana State improvements, the Knapp will rank ahead of only the Loyola gym in the Valley. While McLeod is not the fanciest place, when you walk in you feel like you're in a basketball arena, not a multipurpose facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
          I think the point is that's not a "$50M Basketball Arena". That is a respectable place to play basketball that's part of a $50M building. Picture reminds me of the Knapp Center. And with with Indiana State improvements, the Knapp will rank ahead of only the Loyola gym in the Valley. While McLeod is not the fanciest place, when you walk in you feel like you're in a basketball arena, not a multipurpose facility.
          Loyola's gym is small, but its WAY nicer than the Knapp Center. The Knapp is worst facility in the league and its not particularly close.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
            That's exactly what I thought when looking at that picture. Looks like the Knapp.

I may be biased but I love the McLeod. It's bright, you are close to all the action no matter where you're sitting, and it's got an intimate and cozy feel to it.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
              Iowa State football profits millions of dollars. Why would they ever do that?
              I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet. ISU and KU don't belong in the Big 12 from a football standpoint. Year in and year out they are not competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedPurple View Post
                I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet.
                I'd be surprised if they are not. The AD as a whole is breaking even now, but I'm sure each individual sport is not. Football and Mens BB are making money and paying for the rest of the sports.

Comment

Breaking even or making a profit in a Power 5 school is generally a choice. There is more than enough money to make a profit. However, ADs (like all good bureaucrats) need to find a way to spend the revenue every year - lest someone makes a claim on a slice.

Comment

I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet. ISU and KU don't belong in the Big 12 from a football standpoint. Year in and year out they are not competitive.
                    ISU football brings in enough money to fund its entire AD and all renovations.
                    Just because ISU and KU struggle in football, doesn't mean they don't belong in Big 12 football. Every conference needs their bottom dwellers and they all have them. Kansas, ISU, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington St, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia, Illinois, Purdue, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                      ISU football brings in enough money to fund its entire AD and all renovations.
                      Just because ISU and KU struggle in football, doesn't mean they don't belong in Big 12 football. Every conference needs their bottom dwellers and they all have them. Kansas, ISU, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington St, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia, Illinois, Purdue, etc.
                      While that may be the case, I think most conferences would prefer that their bottom dwellers do not lose to FCS opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                        While that may be the case, I think most conferences would prefer that their bottom dwellers do not lose to FCS opponents.
                        Meh, it happens. And if they really didn't like it, they would ban those games. Which I could eventually see happening across the board. Something UNI should hope never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                          Or at least win a conference title once every hundred years.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post
                            Or at least win a conference title once every hundred years.
                            Actually, The Big 12 probably wants to keep that to Oklahoma and Texas.

Comment

I highly doubt you have any idea what you are talking about.

page 20.... ISU football profits millions of dollars.
                              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

There's really no way to tell from that breakdown how much ISU profits from football as almost none of the expenses are allocated by sport. The biggest revenue item at $29M is conference and NCAA revenue and there is no breakout by sport of that either. Without those two major pieces of the puzzle you cannot determine the profitability of any particular sport.

The breakdown of UNI athletics on page 25 does a much better job of allocating expenses to the sport. It shows that combined mens football and basketball at UNI turn a profit and all university support goes to cover other mens sports and womens sports. Shows how difficult the problem is to overcome at UNI. About the only option that would decrease the support would be to eliminate athletics all together. UNI also receives $28M per year less in conference/NCAA revenue than does ISU or roughly doubly UNI's total athletic budget.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X