WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    I can speak with relative certainty that Kyle is not the coach in waiting. If, and that's a massive if at this point, Jake were to leave the next coach is not currently an employee of the University of Northern Iowa.

Kyle has never been happy as a head coach and would be even less comfortable with the time and media demands of being a Division I head coach.
    Would hate to see Jake leave...And personally I don't think he will...But would be interesting to see the candidates for the job.

Devries from Creighton a likely candidate? Jones from ND in the mix? Anyone from current staff?
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I think Jake has had and will probably continue to have better opportunities, if he is interested, than Minnesota. Texas A&M comes to mind.

From what Jake has said, he really likes it here and I would be very surprised if he were to leave at this point. The program seems to grow in some way each year and I think he realizes that the program is on the rise. Maybe that's just the part of me hoping he doesn't leave that thinks this, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        Would hate to see Jake leave...And personally I don't think he will...But would be interesting to see the candidates for the job.

Devries from Creighton a likely candidate? Jones from ND in the mix? Anyone from current staff?
        It would be a national search. We'd have an attractive opening. Be surprised if it were anyone with UNI ties.
        #MACtion

Comment

I have a feeling that Jake will close out his coaching career at UNI and then possibly take over an athletic director position. Way, way down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum 2008 View Post
            I think Jake has had and will probably continue to have better opportunities, if he is interested, than Minnesota. Texas A&M comes to mind.

From what Jake has said, he really likes it here and I would be very surprised if he were to leave at this point. The program seems to grow in some way each year and I think he realizes that the program is on the rise. Maybe that's just the part of me hoping he doesn't leave that thinks this, who knows.
            Jake turned down the Texas A&M job several years ago, along with the nearly $2 million they were offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
              Jake turned down the Texas A&M job several years ago, along with the nearly $2 million they were offering.

Is that when TAM hired Billy Kennedy, allowing Murray State to promote Steve Prohm, and eventually Iowa State to do so? Interesting the way things connect.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                Yea, exactly my point when I said Jake has had better opportunities than Minnesota. Obviously I have no clue what they would offer in terms of pay, but the program itself is a mess.

Comment

Yea, exactly my point when I said Jake has had better opportunities than Minnesota. Obviously I have no clue what they would offer in terms of pay, but the program itself is a mess.
                  They're what, 12-2 right now? They lost by 1 in OT to Michigan St last night. Sounds like they're decent, but that doesn't necessarily predict anything long term.

If that stays the course, then there's no vacancy to fill until 2 years down the road at the earliest. I could see why it may appeal to Jake though, should the timing ever work on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                    They're what, 12-2 right now? They lost by 1 in OT to Michigan St last night. Sounds like they're decent, but that doesn't necessarily predict anything long term.

If that stays the course, then there's no vacancy to fill until 2 years down the road at the earliest. I could see why it may appeal to Jake though, should the timing ever work on both sides.
                    They were 8-23 last season with 2 Big 10 wins - a miracle upset of Maryland at home and then a win over Rutgers in the next game at home. Rutgers had 1 Big 10 win last year - Minnesota on the final day of the season.

This year their record loos nice at 12-2 but their wins are Louisiana-Lafayette, UT-Arlington, Mount St. Marys, St Johns, Arkansas, SIU, Vnady, NJIT, Georgia Southern, NIU, Long Island and Arkansas State. They are probably better than they were last year, but realistically speaking they are a 5, maybe 6, win Big 10 team.

That university is a complete mess, top to bottom. I mean it is a disaster up there. Do some research on them. Nothing about that, other than being in the B10 conference, is settled and/or appealing. Sexual assault scandals, academic medical research violation, coaches covering up drug selling schemes, athletic directors taking jobs and then instantly leaving, AD sexually assaulting staff members and the president defending the actions, etc... Oh, that's all just the last year or so.

That university is a mess top to bottom. I can't imagine anything about that being appealing.

Comment

• Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Much closer to home in North Dakota, Big Ten school, significantly higher salary. I wouldn't blame him for looking at it, despite the mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Catmandoo View Post
                        Much closer to home in North Dakota, Big Ten school, significantly higher salary. I wouldn't blame him for looking at it, despite the mess.
                        I wonder how much location comes into the decision when you are making that kind of money and can just fly home and pay for people to fly to you whenever you want.

Comment

I wonder how much location comes into the decision when you are making that kind of money and can just fly home and pay for people to fly to you whenever you want.

I think frequent access of grandparents to grandchildren is often a big issue.

Comment

Let's not act like U of Minnesota is a short drive from where he grew up, it's still over 4 hours away. Quite a bit closer, but it's not exactly a quick weekend trip away. I believe he does have a vacation home or cottage in Minnesota and he's known to love fishing, so there are obviously things up north that appeal to him - I just have a hard time seeing that speculation being a huge factor for him myself. Hasn't he commented that he likes the Cedar Valley and would like to see his kids to grow up there? He's a big family guy, can't imagine him uprooting his family unless it's for a perfect fit.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                              Let's not act like U of Minnesota is a short drive from where he grew up, it's still over 4 hours away. Quite a bit closer, but it's not exactly a quick weekend trip away. I believe he does have a vacation home or cottage in Minnesota and he's known to love fishing, so there are obviously things up north that appeal to him - I just have a hard time seeing that speculation being a huge factor for him myself. Hasn't he commented that he likes the Cedar Valley and would like to see his kids to grow up there? He's a big family guy, can't imagine him uprooting his family unless it's for a perfect fit.
                              How did this thread turn into a "Jake is leaving thread" from Green visiting UMN?

Pitino's contract goes through '20-'21, at $2 mill a year. But the kicker is that the buyout is $5.7 million (or was over the summer). Given the U's on-going athletics issues and running debt (about $38 mill from the U to cover the deficit between 2010 and 2014, according to the Chronicle's big story last year), I doubt they will pay him off to leave early.

But, if UND or NDSU ever call ...
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                                How did this thread turn into a "Jake is leaving thread" from Green visiting UMN?
                                Because Coach going to Minnesota would hurt the program far more than AJ Green going to Minnesota would, although I feel like both are unlikely. The former far more so than the latter, and the latter being very unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X