WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates on the coaching staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

For what it's worth, in 2015 which was Bond's last season as on OC...Tennessee-Martin went 7-4 and averaged 35 points a game vs. FCS competition.

I threw out a lopsided loss vs. Ole Miss and a big win against a DII school.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

In 2014 Bond's offense at Tennessee-Martin averaged 32 points a game in 8 games vs. FCS competition.

6-6 overall record with two SEC losses and 1 DII win.
      Last edited by Blue42; 03-18-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        In 2014 Bond's offense at Tennessee-Martin averaged 32 points a game in 8 games vs. FCS competition.

Sounds intriguing at least. It's certainly higher performing than what we saw from UNI Men's Basketball this year. Give the guy a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          There's a ton of triple option in there...
          Too last to check it all. But I think the GT job would of been before Johnson and Army before they went back to the option. I could be way off though.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
            Too last to check it all. But I think the GT job would of been before Johnson and Army before they went back to the option. I could be way off though.
            My bad, you are correct. Didn't realize Johnson won as quickly at GT as he did. Took the job in 08, had them in the Orange Bowl in 09.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
              Sounds intriguing at least. It's certainly higher performing than what we saw from UNI Men's Basketball this year. Give the guy a chance.
              Pretty sure mens bb did average over 32 points this year. Not by much I guess.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

OVC competition doesn't mean much. Outside of Jax State that is a garbage conference up and down, and even nationally Jax State isn't that good as they've been curb stomped by the two good teams they've played in the playoffs (NDSU and YSU).

Outside of JSU's wins, and a win against another OVC team a few years ago, the conference is something like 20-21 years without a playoff win - or very, very, very few outside of JSU. They went something like 19 years without a win until they finally got one - against a PFL team and then another OVC team.

Maybe he's good, but 30 years coaching with that many stops, that many changes taking place while he was there, and never really advancing into any good programs makes me wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                  OVC competition doesn't mean much. Outside of Jax State that is a garbage conference up and down, and even nationally Jax State isn't that good as they've been curb stomped by the two good teams they've played in the playoffs (NDSU and YSU).

Outside of JSU's wins, and a win against another OVC team a few years ago, the conference is something like 20-21 years without a playoff win - or very, very, very few outside of JSU. They went something like 19 years without a win until they finally got one - against a PFL team and then another OVC team.

Maybe he's good, but 30 years coaching with that many stops, that many changes taking place while he was there, and never really advancing into any good programs makes me wonder.
                  Yep a lotta stops on that resume. Lots to wonder about...But all you can do is look at facts and recent history and see what it tells you.

Agree OVC defenses are not good. But he was also coaching OVC talent on offense.

I'd be more inclined to disregard the UMass and Georgia State records as those were unusual situations where I suspect he was trying to compete with lesser talent than the competition on the schedule.

Comment

I don't think it is a bad hire, he has been put into a lot of bad situations, I would argue that we have the most competitive talent that he has ever worked with. If the offensive line coach is as good as I think he could be we might not have to have our defense score more points then they give up to win.

Comment

• Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                      I don't think it is a bad hire, he has been put into a lot of bad situations, I would argue that we have the most competitive talent that he has ever worked with. If the offensive line coach is as good as I think he could be we might not have to have our defense score more points then they give up to win.
                      Has he been put in bad situations or he hasn't been able to get to a place with better situations.

Comment

Or our program is at a place where this is the best we can do...
                        #MACtion

Comment

Fellas...I took the purple shades off a couple years ago when we screwed the OC hire...so I try to keep a skeptical eye. But damn some of this board is wallowing in negativity.

Who do you think an FCS school with a limited budget is gonna get...Belichek?

This is the reality of today's FCS football.

Comment

Give the guy a chance. After the season has started, if he is doing a bad job then we can rip him. Right now let's hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                              Give the guy a chance. After the season has started, if he is doing a bad job then we can rip him. Right now let's hope for the best.
                              Agreed. Also, watch the general look and feel of the offense next year. I'll be curious to see if it looks like it was drawn up for Bailey, or whether the new guy has been given some freedom. If it's something Bailey/Carnes like, then you might as well hire a chimp and pay him minimum wage. It would need to be a chimp who can breakdown opponent film, put together scouting reports from your assistants, and recruit. A smart chimp, but a figurehead nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                                I hope Farley does the same (gives him a chance and lets him run the offense he wants to). I'm not very optimistic considering recent seasons.
                                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                                - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                                X