WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Time

Was at the Haldeman/ Tanner lohaus game which is the Jill Armstrong realty team not the LL Pelling team as indicated on KXEL, they played Bohannons team which killed them. Who ever did stats was not at same game we saw. They played Brown/Freidman team and really don't think Brown had 18 points and 11 rebounds. He made one 3 and a couple 2"s and free throws Freidman had 2- 3 pointers which was odd to see but don't think he was close to 12 points. Browns shot is still very flat and is out of control a lot. Tanner did little on the court and played very few minutes. Haldeman looked good had at least 3-4 3"s and missed some in the beginning as usual very unselfish. Haldeman/ lohaus team will be very lucky if they win any games. Not a good draft for that team. Wagner and Christian Williams are on their team and Iowa's Wagner is not their biggest guy and very lazy getting up and down court, not much effort. I think their biggest is is Amel Kuljuhovik who I think played at Cedar Falls and is at lake CC now. Haldeman had some nice passes into him but he couldn't finish. I think that will be a familiar pattern for this team. After watching Christian Williams as a point guard last night I can see why he isn't playing that position very much. He has no flow for the game at all. Bohannon gets it done. Bohannon looked awesome and so did Kreiner for iowa. The other game we saw was McDonnel/Wyatt Lohaus against Carlson/ McDermott. A much better balanced game and it went down to the end with Carlsons team winning. Wyatt is going to help so much having his leadership back on court he played very solid as he does in primetime. Carlson had some nice plays and shot the ball well. McDonnell had some nice blocks but with the big guy from Iowan on the team he didn't get many touches. McDermott had some nice 3's and rebounded well. Did not see the other game with McCloud/ Rhodes vs Koch/Pickford. I saw the stats for this game to and I do believe I saw AJ green make a 3 on the news but no 3 indicated on stats but maybe he was on the line. They play at Waterloo this Thursday.
    Last edited by PanthersMBB; 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM.

Re: Prime Time

Wall o'Text fixed below so no one else has to try to sort through that...However, none of the grammatical or structure issues were addressed.

Was at the Haldeman/ Tanner lohaus game which is the Jill Armstrong realty team not the LL Pelling team as indicated on KXEL, they played Bohannons team which killed them.

Who ever did stats was not at same game we saw. They played Brown/Freidman team and really don't think Brown had 18 points and 11 rebounds. He made one 3 and a couple 2"s and free throws Freidman had 2- 3 pointers which was odd to see but don't think he was close to 12 points.

Browns shot is still very flat and is out of control a lot. Tanner did little on the court and played very few minutes. Haldeman looked good had at least 3-4 3"s and missed some in the beginning as usual very unselfish.

Haldeman/ lohaus team will be very lucky if they win any games. Not a good draft for that team. Wagner and Christian Williams are on their team and Iowa's Wagner is not their biggest guy and very lazy getting up and down court, not much effort. I think their biggest is is Amel Kuljuhovik who I think played at Cedar Falls and is at lake CC now.

Haldeman had some nice passes into him but he couldn't finish. I think that will be a familiar pattern for this team. After watching Christian Williams as a point guard last night I can see why he isn't playing that position very much. He has no flow for the game at all. Bohannon gets it done. Bohannon looked awesome and so did Kreiner for iowa.

The other game we saw was McDonnel/Wyatt Lohaus against Carlson/ McDermott. A much better balanced game and it went down to the end with Carlsons team winning. Wyatt is going to help so much having his leadership back on court he played very solid as he does in primetime.

Carlson had some nice plays and shot the ball well. McDonnell had some nice blocks but with the big guy from Iowan on the team he didn't get many touches.

McDermott had some nice 3's and rebounded well.

Did not see the other game with McCloud/ Rhodes vs Koch/Pickford. I saw the stats for this game to and I do believe I saw AJ green make a 3 on the news but no 3 indicated on stats but maybe he was on the line.

They play at Waterloo this Thursday.

Comment

Thank you for doing this. I didn't take the time.

Comment

I was in attendance as well. For the first game I chose the Bennett/Tywhon/AJ vs. Juwan/Hunter game.

The best thing to see out of this game was Juwan going to the rim and FINISHING well. Yes I know, less defense in this league but there were still plenty contesting of shots when you got that in close. I also liked how he was taking charge on the floor, talking to his guys on both offense and defense.

Weird to have 2 UNI PG on the same team. Hunter started each half with Juwan, but after that it was mostly Juwan.

Tywhon got me excited when he made his first three 3s in the first four minutes of action. He cooled off after that but wasn't afraid to keep shooting. I liked what I saw from him, though didn't see too many drives all the way to the hoop.

Bennett picked up 2 fouls in the first half and basically was called for a foul every time he was close to the ball. Who said this league looks nothing like the regular season? Had a couple alley oops, I think one of them from AJ.

2nd game, less to say. Klint mostly facilitated but hit the game clinching free throws. Wyatt's shot was off but looked to be getting around really well. Like we saw last year, Luke had some nice blocks off of help defense, but wasn't too involved offensively. McDermott was much tougher on the boards than I expected. If he keeps that up, based on our rebounding last year, he could earn some playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
          The best thing to see out of this game was Juwan going to the rim and FINISHING well. Yes I know, less defense in this league but there were still plenty contesting of shots when you got that in close. I also liked how he was taking charge on the floor, talking to his guys on both offense and defense
          That's very good to see. Imo, Juwan is the key to this season, he was such a liability on offense last year, and that really gunked up the whole Drive-and-Dish system. Get that working, and I think we're back to playing some solid basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
            That's very good to see. Imo, Juwan is the key to this season, he was such a liability on offense last year, and that really gunked up the whole Drive-and-Dish system. Get that working, and I think we're back to playing some solid basketball.
            He was no more of a liability than Bennett for most of the year on offense. The shots Juwan missed had a chance to be rebounded by a teammate. There is nothing that could come out of Bennett traveling or having the ball ripped from his hands.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
              He was no more of a liability than Bennett for most of the year on offense. The shots Juwan missed had a chance to be rebounded by a teammate. There is nothing that could come out of Bennett traveling or having the ball ripped from his hands.
              I mean in general, the whole drive and dish system that we've been running since Tuttle left requires a dangerous point guard. Wes and friends was able to make it work because he could take it to the rim or pass it out to the shooter. Since no one needed to guard Juwan super intently, teams were free to spend more effort guarding the shooters.

That's part of the reason the three point shooting was down last year, very few open shots. If Juwan is finishing, and they need to actually park a guy or two in the lane to make sure they don't give up the easy bucket, then the three point shooters will be more open.

Bennett played anywhere from bad to great last year, averaging an "okay," but if Bennett's playing poorly, then he's playing poorly. If Juwan's playing poorly, then the system is playing poorly. Again, in my opinion.

Comment

If we are being honest with ourselves the entire team was an offensive liability last year.

Comment

I mean in general, the whole drive and dish system that we've been running since Tuttle left requires a dangerous point guard. Wes and friends was able to make it work because he could take it to the rim or pass it out to the shooter. Since no one needed to guard Juwan super intently, teams were free to spend more effort guarding the shooters.

That's part of the reason the three point shooting was down last year, very few open shots. If Juwan is finishing, and they need to actually park a guy or two in the lane to make sure they don't give up the easy bucket, then the three point shooters will be more open.

Bennett played anywhere from bad to great last year, averaging an "okay," but if Bennett's playing poorly, then he's playing poorly. If Juwan's playing poorly, then the system is playing poorly. Again, in my opinion.
                  Bennett's per 40 numbers were about the best in the conference last season. His issue was the fouls and not being able to be on the court to extrapolate that out. He was also 13th in the entire conference in player efficiency rating - the next highest rated Panther (Morgan was 18th). If we take it down to players who played in at least 25 games he is 9th in the conference at 22.0. Aundre Jackson was first at 26.6. Alize Jackson was at 24 and Phil Fayne was at 21 for reference.

Bennett had the highest FG % on the team at 57.0% - only player over 48.1.
                  Bennett had the most made 2 point shots on the team at 110, only Jeremy Morgan was over 75 at 76
                  Bennett had the most made free throws with 99 and shot 77% from the line
                  He was second in total points at 319. Morgan had 430. 3rd place was Ashton at 254
                  He did that all playing just 20 minutes per game compared to 35 for Morgan, 34 for Carlson, 33 for Ashton and 23 for Spencer. He played the same number of Minutes as Juwan per game.

The issue is he had 86 fouls in 29 games (2.97 per game). Next highest total was Spencer at 68, Morgan at 61, Carlson at 55 and Ashton at 53. No one else had more than 33

Per 40 numbers
                  8 FGM
                  13 FGA
                  7 FTM
                  9 FTA
                  22 PTS
                  10 REB
                  5.9 FOULS

Per 100 possessions
                  12 FGM
                  20 FGA
                  10 FTM
                  14 FTA
                  34 PTS
                  12 REB
                  2 AST
                  2 BLK
                  104.1 OFF RATING
                  99.1 DEF RATING
                  +/- 5
                  9 FOULS

Every one of his per 40/100 numbers are as good/better (most being better) than Alize Johnson. More points, shots made, less shots taken (Alize is a 48% shooter), more free throws made and at a much higher percent (76 vs 66), more blocks, better defensive rating. The only thing Alize had on him was less fouls (5.9 vs 3.3) and rebounds (10 vs 14...which actually iasn't as big of a difference as I would have guessed). Oh, and that's with Alize being the main offensive target for MSU, meanwhile Bennett was the 3rd or 4th scoring option when he was on the court behind Morgan, Carlson and Ashton (all averaged as many/more shots per game as Bennett) - and Spencer was just .3 shots per game behind Bennett.

Again, the fouls were the issue. He played in the same number of games a J-Mo and played in half the minutes. He was actually 6th in minutes played. If we can get whatever is causing Bennett's foul issues figured out and get him to 26-28 minutes per game rather than 19-20 it's going to make a massive impact.

However, much like Jake it likely won't mater for 95% of the fan base simply because he isn't Adam.
                  Last edited by claw; 06-22-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                    Bennett's per 40 numbers were about the best in the conference last season. His issue was the fouls and not being able to be on the court to extrapolate that out. He was also 13th in the entire conference in player efficiency rating - the next highest rated Panther (Morgan was 18th). If we take it down to players who played in at least 25 games he is 9th in the conference at 22.0. Aundre Jackson was first at 26.6. Alize Jackson was at 24 and Phil Fayne was at 21 for reference.

Bennett had the most made 2 point shots on the team at 110, only Jeremy Morgan was over 75 at 76
                    He was second in total points at 319. Morgan had 430. 3rd place was Ashton at 254
                    He did that all playing just 20 minutes per game compared to 35 for Morgan, 34 for Carlson, 33 for Ashton and 23 for Spencer. He played the same number of Minutes as Juwan per game.

The issue is he had 86 fouls in 29 games (2.97 per game). Next highest total was Spencer at 68, Morgan at 61, Carlson at 55 and Ashton at 53. No one else had more than 33

Per 40 numbers
                    8 FGM
                    13 FGA
                    7 FTM
                    9 FTA
                    22 PTS
                    10 REB
                    5.9 FOULS

Per 100 possessions
                    12 FGM
                    20 FGA
                    10 FTM
                    14 FTA
                    34 PTS
                    12 REB
                    2 AST
                    2 BLK
                    104.1 OFF RATING
                    99.1 DEF RATING
                    +/- 5
                    9 FOULS

Every one of his per 40/100 numbers are as good/better (most being better) than Alize Johnson. More points, shots made, less shots taken (Alize is a 48% shooter), more free throws made and at a much higher percent (76 vs 66), more blocks, better defensive rating. The only thing Alize had on him was less fouls (5.9 vs 3.3) and rebounds (10 vs 14...which actually iasn't as big of a difference as I would have guessed). Oh, and that's with Alize being the main offensive target for MSU, meanwhile Bennett was the 3rd or 4th scoring option when he was on the court behind Morgan, Carlson and Ashton (all averaged as many/more shots per game as Bennett) - and Spencer was just .3 shots per game behind Bennett.

Again, the fouls were the issue. He played in the same number of games a J-Mo and played in half the minutes. He was actually 6th in minutes played. If we can get whatever is causing Bennett's foul issues figured out and get him to 26-28 minutes per game rather than 19-20 it's going to make a massive impact.

However, much like Jake it likely won't mater for 95% of the fan base simply because he isn't Adam.
                    Do you actually watch us play the games? Do you really want to make the case that Bennett is a better player than Alize Johnson?

Its not just the fouls (which is a huge problem), he doesn't rebound, he doesn't pass or move the ball, and he turns the ball over.

He's a very good player at times but has some very obvious holes in his game.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post

Per 40 numbers
                      8 FGM
                      13 FGA
                      7 FTM
                      9 FTA
                      22 PTS
                      10 REB
                      5.9 FOULS

Per 100 possessions
                      12 FGM
                      20 FGA
                      10 FTM
                      14 FTA
                      34 PTS
                      12 REB
                      2 AST
                      2 BLK
                      104.1 OFF RATING
                      99.1 DEF RATING
                      +/- 5
                      9 FOULS

A couple things to point out if I'm playing devil's advocate is that when Bennett was on the floor it was clear that he was the focal point of the offense. He got a touch on nearly every possession. You can argue he took fewer shots than other guys, but that goes back to him not being able to stay on the floor.

Also, a significant omission from your stat listing was his turnovers. He led the team with 67, or 2.31 per game. By comparison, Juwan who played the same number of minutes and was the primary ball handler when on the court only had 36 and his assist to turnover ratio was positive. Bennett managed to dish out 13 assists on the year. 13! He was 5x more likely to turn it over than to assist on a bucket.

Don't get me wrong, Bennett had flashes of really good play last year. Unfortunately, it felt like the offense stopped most games when he touched the ball because defenders could collapse on him knowing he wasn't going to pass it back out.

Comment

Sophomores putting in work, Brown with 23 over the Wyatt/Luke team, and Juwan with 42 points, 10 assists, and 5 boards against Spencer/Ashton/Tanner.

Good news, all around.

Comment

Lots of encouraging stuff from people at the games yesterday, especially with Juwan's finishing at the rim.

Comment

Sophomores putting in work, Brown with 23 over the Wyatt/Luke team, and Juwan with 42 points, 10 assists, and 5 boards against Spencer/Ashton/Tanner.

Good news, all around.
                            Honest question: how does this happen?

Comment

It happens because it's a "defense optional" league.

Comment

Working...
                              X