WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegas 16 Tournament will not be played this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegas 16 Tournament will not be played this year

"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Re: Vegas 16 Tournament will not be played this year

I think the Vegas 16 concept is great. I think it can work. I also think they were a decade too late in getting it going. Had this come around before the CBI and CIT it would be great and the other two wouldn't exist. You'd have the 68 in the NCAA, 32 in the NIT and 16 in the V16. That is 116 teams in the post season. That's a pretty solid number. It's 33% of the D1 world. That number nearly matches every other sport that the NCAA runs. Almost all of them are between 25-35% in post season play. Maybe one of the CBI/CIT still exists for low mid major and low major programs as the V16 probably aims for MVC and higher teams.

It's a shame it got off to such a bad start, as the concept is good.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
      I think the Vegas 16 concept is great. I think it can work. I also think they were a decade too late in getting it going. Had this come around before the CBI and CIT it would be great and the other two wouldn't exist. You'd have the 68 in the NCAA, 32 in the NIT and 16 in the V16. That is 116 teams in the post season. That's a pretty solid number. It's 33% of the D1 world. That number nearly matches every other sport that the NCAA runs. Almost all of them are between 25-35% in post season play. Maybe one of the CBI/CIT still exists for low mid major and low major programs as the V16 probably aims for MVC and higher teams.

It's a shame it got off to such a bad start, as the concept is good.
      I don't really know anything about CIT vs CBI vs Vegas, aren't they all basically the same thing? Like, why do you think Vegas is better than the other 2?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
        I don't really know anything about CIT vs CBI vs Vegas, aren't they all basically the same thing? Like, why do you think Vegas is better than the other 2?
        Uuuh the location and basketball with a tournament style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          It's essentially the same idea as the CBI, which started in 2007 and was why I said the V16 was a decade too late. The CBI takes the "first 16" out of the NIT.

The advantage, as I see it, that the V16 set up would have over the CBI is that it takes place over one week in a single location. The CBI is entirely home court based with a best of 3 championship series (first game on "lower seed" court and final 2 at higher seed. That could/does create travel/logistical/money issues. You have to pay to host, and the games aren't always sexy so you could (and do many times) end up losing money on the event. It also takes 3 weeks to do because of days allotted for travel and rest. I believe the V16 tournament was willing too, or did, kick in money to help out travel related costs like flights, hotel and food. Last year only 8 teams played so it was a 3 day tournament. With 16 teams it is probably a 5 or 6 day tournament. Outside of the travel/length situation they are very similar. The CBI is starting to see a lower quality of team getting bids as teams seem unwilling to play in a 3 week tournament like this.

The CIT was mid-majors around the .500 mark going "Hey, the CBI isn't selecting us, we want something too". It's the CBI but with far less money to be made to even get back to break even (it's something like 30K to host a game against far less name opponents). It's also 32 teams. It takes 3 plus weeks to play and the level of play is pretty low. At this point they aren't even filling all 32 spots. Last year only 26 played. The cost of traveling all over the country for a tournament to play in front of 1,500 fans isn't worth it for a number of programs.

The ideal situation would be for the V16 and the CBI to "combine". The CBI is now in their 4th year without a sponsor, after having one every year from 08-13. ESPN has picked up the broadcast rights for the CBI. Make it the College Basketball Vegas Invitational. You'll attract programs that normally would turn down the CBI if you could sell it as a one week "trip". Make it like a preseason MET and play it out to 8th place or something like that to add more value per dollar spent out there. The nearly 3 week layoff between Selection Sunday and the tournament hurt it last year. It'd be a quick turnaround but with everything in one spot it'd be nice to start it on Tuesday and run through Sunday. The only issue is the number of viewers lost too the NCAA tournament over the weekend. It's why the NIT runs Mon-Wed.
          Last edited by claw; 03-11-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

It's crap basketball. Kill the nit and nobody would care. That might make you mad but it is true.

It's a sin to be in CIT LMNOP tournaments and call it post season basketball.

It is like going to a soup kitchen and being charged.

Comment

Claw, your premise is flawed. The CBI does not take the first 16 who dont make the NIT. They'd like to, I'm sure. But they dont. Most power 5 teams turn them down, and their fields are always almost entirely made up of mid-majors and very similar to the CIT (they've had a handful over the years but most say no). As for everyone else, the CBI and CIT are viewed equally by most programs. One is not "better" than the other. Schools choose based on their situations. UNI, for example, has chosen the CIT because they have a good relationship with the tournament organizers. There is not much of a financial difference between the two either.

Sevelev is correct. They're all basically the same thing. Vegas format was different (all games in one neutral location), and the financials were different (one lump buy-in vs bidding to host) but from the standpoint of who was playing in them, they're basically the same thing.

Vegas was always going to be tough. If you think it is tough to draw fans to go to a third-tier tounament on their home floor....try getting them excited enough about it to travel there. Even if it is in Vegas.
              Last edited by UNIGrainer; 03-11-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

No major teams, five teams with losing records in this year's CBI field. CIT stuck with mid-majors that are .500 or better as per their self-imposed rule, but only had 26 teams in the field for the second consecutive year. Looks like these tournaments are dying.

Comment

Isn't the NIT being used as a testing ground for new rules? Like try them out with good teams playing real ball and see how goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X