WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

McIntosh leaving ISU. No excuse for us not be very near if not at the very top of the league next year

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
      McIntosh leaving ISU. No excuse for us not be very near if not at the very top of the league next year
      What the hell? Not that I blame him for wanting to leave Mueller, but why now?

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
        What the hell? Not that I blame him for wanting to leave Mueller, but why now?
        One redbird paper reported it. We'll see if it is true. Grad transfer

Comment

Guess I forgot he was graduating. Was Teddy Hawkins a Jr? Maybe I confused the two

Comment

That's pretty huge. On one hand, that sucks for the league, sucks for Illinois State, and even us, as now they can offer Bruninga a 4-for-4 if they so want.

On the other, we're pretty clearly the favorites for next year, no?

Edit: Us or MSU.
            Last edited by sevelev711; 04-15-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Missouri State fans think they are the runaway favorite. Seem to forget Lusk is still their coach and they wanted him gone a month ago.

I still think it'll be us/MSU/Loyola/and still ISU. I really have no idea what to expect for us next year.

Comment

Missouri State fans think they are the runaway favorite. Seem to forget Lusk is still their coach and they wanted him gone a month ago.

I still think it'll be us/MSU/Loyola/and still ISU. I really have no idea what to expect for us next year.
                The conference season is going to be a 2 month long pillow fight. The 1 seed in STL could have a 10-8 conference record.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                  Guess I forgot he was graduating. Was Teddy Hawkins a Jr? Maybe I confused the two
                  He was a non-qualifier that would have been granted his 4th playing year if he were making progress towards a degree. He obviously wasn't making that progress and was not eligible for that last year.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Big time addition today. No we can restart the lineup speculation. So many options.

Comment

Big time addition today. No we can restart the lineup speculation. So many options.
                      Yes, it's tough to predict. I'd guess McCloud, Wyatt, Brown/McDonnell, Carlson, and Koch start. If coach wanted to go small, he could probably mix in Haldeman there somewhere too. I'd imagine all these guys plus Pickford will see decent minutes. If Phyfe's dad is all for him to red shirt, you have to think he will - especially if Dahl is ready to contribute. Throw in Hunter and McDermott and I don't even want to guess who plays what minutes-wise. We could really mess with teams when it comes to size next year.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                        Yes, it's tough to predict. I'd guess McCloud, Wyatt, Brown/McDonnell, Carlson, and Koch start. If coach wanted to go small, he could probably mix in Haldeman there somewhere too. I'd imagine all these guys plus Pickford will see decent minutes. If Phyfe's dad is all for him to red shirt, you have to think he will - especially if Dahl is ready to contribute. Throw in Hunter and McDermott and I don't even want to guess who plays what minutes-wise. We could really mess with teams when it comes to size next year.
                        Yes. Every year, I come in super optimistic about having so much depth, and that we're gonna play 12 guys. And we always end up with more like 9 that actually play in the rotation. So to attempt to temper my HOPES of more depth, I'll guess something like this:

PG: McCloud (25)
                        SG: Wyatt (32)
                        SF: Brown (15)
                        PF: Carlson (35)
                        C: Koch (25)

BENCH:
                        G: Haldeman (25)
                        G: McDermott (10)
                        G: Pickford (10)
                        F: McDonnell (15)
                        F: Friedman (8)

Mostly Garbage time:
                        G: Rhodes
                        G: De Souza
                        G: Tanner
                        C: Dahl

REDSHIRT:
                        C: Phyfe

{Could see Ted and Dahls roles swapping, depending on Dahls progression and how loyal the staff is to Ted as a senior}

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
                          Yes. Every year, I come in super optimistic about having so much depth, and that we're gonna play 12 guys. And we always end up with more like 9 that actually play in the rotation. So to attempt to temper my HOPES of more depth, I'll guess something like this:

BENCH:

Mostly Garbage time:
                          G: Rhodes
                          G: De Souza
                          G: Tanner
                          C: Dahl

REDSHIRT:
                          C: Phyfe

{Could see Ted and Dahls roles swapping, depending on Dahls progression and how loyal the staff is to Ted as a senior}
                          I like this. Seems like really good depth. I wonder if instead of Haldeman/McDermott it's Rhodes/Haldeman, or if Dahl gets some opportunities, if not over Friedman, then taking from all the 4/5s. In either case, looking at this second list, I think I would be comfortable with the "line change" substitution strategy a la 2010. There seems to be enough scoring and size on that 2nd team to make that a realistic possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                            I like this. Seems like really good depth. I wonder if instead of Haldeman/McDermott it's Rhodes/Haldeman, or if Dahl gets some opportunities, if not over Friedman, then taking from all the 4/5s. In either case, looking at this second list, I think I would be comfortable with the "line change" substitution strategy a la 2010. There seems to be enough scoring and size on that 2nd team to make that a realistic possibility.
                            McDermott and Dahl are the two wild cards, in terms of it being completely unknown whether they've progressed enough to play at this level. Rhodes at least got some time last year, and I heard Kevin Boyle praise his D a few times. We all know that's important to Jake.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post

BENCH:

Jake usually likes to have a scorer with experience as a spark coming off the bench and playing starters minutes. I believe there's usually a pre-season conversation leading to that role. Any thoughts on who that could be?

Comment

It was Spencer this year. Likely will be next year as well. But we have a ton of lineup options so we will see.

For example, Juwan, will play a ton if he gets a decent jump shot. But if not others will take a portion of his minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X