WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther match ups at NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panther match ups at NCAA

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
    I don't attend UNI wrestling events, and I probably won't in the future, except when they are wrestling down here at Carver-Hawkeye (just because it's easy for me to get to--- I am NOT a Hawkeye fan). It doesn't make any difference to me if they keep the coach or move on. But I have to tell you that the perception of the program from casual fans like myself, and from other people here in Iowa City who follow wrestling more closely than I do, is that the program is getting worse over time, not better.

Now, that may not be the case, and I won't pretend to be a good judge. But perception is very important in college athletics.
    Fair enough. I just can't help but find it fascinating how perception actually rules in this case, yet the facts suggest otherwise.

It's probably no wonder how we fall for false information as easily as we do...

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
      Always nice to see a Panther "fan" ridicule his team. I'm sure the wrestling team appreciates your support, Panther "fan."

And, yes, I will keep responding.
      I am not ridiculing the team. I am ridiculing the coach, fans will from time to time criticize a coach. You wanted facts, theres one. If Lickliter (sp?) is fired from Iowa, the fact that there attendance has gone down will be a factor.

You wanted facts, I brought facts. You resort to "fan."

Ha ha, smoked again. Funny.

Someone else try now.
      Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Fair enough. I just can't help but find it fascinating how perception actually rules in this case, yet the facts suggest otherwise.
        The problem you have winning this argument is that the facts do not suggest otherwise. The facts suggest the program is headed downhill at an accelerating rate.

1. We've gone from winning the western regional, usually quite handily, but by narrower and narrower margins, to now actually not winning for the first time in 25 years.

2. We've gone from putting 8-10 wrestlers in the national tournament to putting 3-4 in it.

3. We've gone from smoking most teams outside of the top 10 in dual meets to scrapping to have a .500 record against them.

4. We've gone from top 15-20 national finishes to god knows where we will be this year, almost certainly in the bottom half of all wrestling teams.

5. We've gone, despite your claim we haven't been able to compete with them in 30 years, from being very competitive with Iowa and ISU to suffering our worst loss to each of them in the 90 or so year history of the program this year. Fact is we used to generally win 3-5 matches against those most elite programs when we faced them. We've beaten ISU 2 times in the last 8 years, and we went down to the final match against Iowa just 3 years ago.

I realize we had the same coach for some of those better results, but apparently he has lost the fire for the sport he once had and is now just hanging on until he gets fired or the program is cut.

If you were a "fan" of the team instead of just the coach you might be able to see some of these facts, eh boys?
        Last edited by GonzoCat; 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Funny that I also didn't read any good news from "fans" on here about coach Penrith being awarded, by his PEERS, Coach of the Year in the WWC. So, based on what I read on here from UNI "fans," all 6 coaches in the WWC must be seeing something that our geniuses on here (who never even go to wrestling matches, by the way) aren't seeing.

Always nice to see UNI "fans" rooting on their team, eh, boys?

Of course they did, if you saw the job that this guy has done at a school that could be a strong program, you wouldn't want them to make another hire either.

Jesus, think if UNI hired a good coach. None of those schools would have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
            The problem you have winning this argument is that the facts do not suggest otherwise. The facts suggest the program is headed downhill at an accelerating rate.

1. We've gone from winning the western regional, usually quite handily, but by narrower and narrower margins, to now actually not winning for the first time in 25 years.

2. We've gone from putting 8-10 wrestlers in the national tournament to putting 3-4 in it.

3. We've gone from smoking most teams outside of the top 10 in dual meets to scrapping to have a .500 record against them.

4. We've gone from top 15-20 national finishes to god knows where we will be this year, almost certainly in the bottom half of all wrestling teams.

5. We've gone, despite your claim we haven't been able to compete with them in 30 years, from being very competitive with Iowa and ISU to suffering our worst loss to each of them in the 90 or so year history of the program this year. Fact is we used to generally win 3-5 matches against those most elite programs when we faced them. We've beaten ISU 2 times in the last 8 years, and we went down to the final match against Iowa just 3 years ago.

I realize we had the same coach for some of those better results, but apparently he has lost the fire for the sport he once had and is now just hanging on until he gets fired or the program is cut.

If you were a "fan" of the team instead of just the coach you might be able to see some of these facts, eh boys?
            As for #2, the new qualification system has A LOT to do with that. Under the old system, we would have qualified many more.

As for questioning my being a fan of the team, don't. I PROMISE you that no one on this forum does more to support this team , financially and otherwise, than I do. Say what you want about all else, but DO NOT question my loyalty to this entire wrestling program.

Has it ever seemed odd to you-or any of you-that the wrestlers support the coaches and the program? Isn't that really all that matters?
            Last edited by ban basketball; 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 96' Alum View Post
              Of course they did, if you saw the job that this guy has done at a school that could be a strong program, you wouldn't want them to make another hire either.

Jesus, think if UNI hired a good coach. None of those schools would have a chance.
              Wow! I, as well as the coaches, never thought of that! Man, you have some deep intellect.

Comment

As for questioning my being a fan of the team, don't. I PROMISE you that no one on this forum does more to support this team , financially and otherwise, than I do. Say what you want about all else, but DO NOT question my loyalty to this entire wrestling program.
                Like's to dish it out, but he can't take it, eh boys?

You constantly question everyone else loyalty and fan status. By the way, you haven't been here very long, but that is one of the few things that is supposed to be against the rules on here - claiming to be a "better fan" than others.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Upon further review, man, are there errors in your "facts." Once again, perception does not equal reality.

1. False. We have won the regionaal handily each year that Penrith has been there. The gap did not narrow each year. The gap narrowed significantly last year, when we beat Wyoming by a few points, and lost this year. Every year prior, we dominated.

2. Again, new qualifying system explains that.

3. Only this year, in years past, false.

4. 5 of Penrith's 9 seasons have finished top 15-20. Last such finish was the 2008 season, a mere two years ago.

We have finished top 15-20 21 times since 1981 (first year back as a DI school). 5 of those times was under Penrith, over a span of 4 different coaches.

Again, the facts do not show that the program is "rapidly deteriorating." It has not been a strong program in for 25 years.
                  Last edited by ban basketball; 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Like's to dish it out, but he can't take it, eh boys?

You constantly question everyone else loyalty and fan status. By the way, you haven't been here very long, but that is one of the few things that is supposed to be against the rules on here - claiming to be a "better fan" than others.
                    Who criticizes our teams and coaches?

Guess I answered the loyalty question, didn't I, "fan?"

Comment

You know, instead of me having to always be the one to do all of you "fans' " researching for you, why don't you just access the same data that I keep having to remind all of you of?

Here is the link. Happy learnin.'

Comment

I am an eternal optimist.

Go UNI! Shock the world. I would hope all UNI fans (of any sport) would also support the Men's Basketball team if they were playing a #1 seed next weekend.
                        "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

How about this for facts Ban. Briggs had 3 years out of 16 where the team finished at the NCAAs 20th place or worse. Manning had 1 out of 3. Penrith has had 5 out of 9 seasons with a finish 20th or worse. While teams are being dropped and the number of schools that have a wrestling team has decreased, UNI has not advanced. So even if the numbers stayed constant, as far as NCAA D1 wrestling teams, the results I mentioned would be poor. Add to those results that there are fewer teams competing, it makes those results even look worse. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by doctor View Post
                            How about this for facts Ban. Briggs had 3 years out of 16 where the team finished at the NCAAs 20th place or worse. Manning had 1 out of 3. Penrith has had 5 out of 9 seasons with a finish 20th or worse. While teams are being dropped and the number of schools that have a wrestling team has decreased, UNI has not advanced. So even if the numbers stayed constant, as far as NCAA D1 wrestling teams, the results I mentioned would be poor. Add to those results that there are fewer teams competing, it makes those results even look worse. What am I missing?
                            You make a good point, but fewer teams also mean more competition for recruits.

One of the points that I make is that it is tough for UNI to compete with Iowa and ISU for recruits, simply because if the best want to wrestle in Iowa, they are likely going to pick one of the top two teams in the country. I'm not sure how we overcome this problem; it is real.

I would also add that there is much more parity in wrestling today than in previous years. So, if we are simply maintaining our position nationally at UNI (I would agree with this), others are moving up. However, many others are also moving down. As I keep saying, all sports are up and down cycles: down years and up years.

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317 View Post
                              I am an eternal optimist.

Go UNI! Shock the world. I would hope all UNI fans (of any sport) would also support the Men's Basketball team if they were playing a #1 seed next weekend.
                              They've got my full support. I've actually followed college basketball more the past two years than I have since...my own basketball playing days! True story!

Comment

You make a good point, but fewer teams also mean more competition for recruits.

One of the points that I make is that it is tough for UNI to compete with Iowa and ISU for recruits, simply because if the best want to wrestle in Iowa, they are likely going to pick one of the top two teams in the country. I'm not sure how we overcome this problem; it is real.

I would also add that there is much more parity in wrestling today than in previous years. So, if we are simply maintaining our position nationally at UNI (I would agree with this), others are moving up. However, many others are also moving down. As I keep saying, all sports are up and down cycles: down years and up years.
                                Since 1981 (Ban, you used that year) there have been:
                                4 seasons with zero all-americans (2 of them for Penrith)
                                10 times in the top 12 (1 of them for Penrith)
                                11 times finished 18th or worse (6 for Penrith)

We aren't maintaining our position nationally. My head hurts from reading that book but I wanted to show some facts.

Good luck to the 4 guys next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X