WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Up Next Drake

[QUOTE=hoopfan;453940]
    Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
    They didn't show a replay, and clearly there's no archive. Are we all convinced the player didn't "control" the ball? I would think the rule might be intended that if it skips off a players leg or finger tips it's not over and back. I thought the Drake player kind of got themselves turned around and may have even taken a dribble going into the backcourt.

Not that it matters given we still put them in their rightful place. Surprised even if it's the correct call the officials didn't award us the ball given posters on MVCFANS, Drakenation and Shockernet think we only won (and maybe win any games for that matter) because of officials.[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspectives considering every game we have people on this board griping about the officiating and upset about the officials working the game. Over the course of the season, the bad calls are likely going to be evened out with calls that went your way and shouldn't have.

I know it isn't just UNI fans, WSU fans or MVC fans, but I have never understood the infatuation with complaining about the officials. During the course of a 40 minute game, there will be bad calls that go both ways and more times than not will even themselves out. Over the course of a 30 game season, the good and bad calls have little to no impact on a team.

Officials aren't going to get every call right, but they do a pretty good job overall.
    Griping about officials is one thing. Saying that officiating is the ONLY way a particular team ever wins a game is something entirely different.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
      I'm always interested in hearing about the crowds. Please post how full the Knapp Center is, particularly with Drake students. And UNI fans.

How big was the UNI turnout for the Drake game?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
        How big was the UNI turnout for the Drake game?
        I estimated Around 75% full. 65-35% Drake fans. Very solid Drake student section behind our 2nd half basket.

It was a pretty intense atmosphere, but the Panthers kept their composure and came away with a big road W. I think I heard that UNI has won 11 of 12 over Drake, with the only loss during Morgan's tenure being at Drake his freshman year.

Comment

[QUOTE=hoopfan;453940]
          Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
          They didn't show a replay, and clearly there's no archive. Are we all convinced the player didn't "control" the ball? I would think the rule might be intended that if it skips off a players leg or finger tips it's not over and back. I thought the Drake player kind of got themselves turned around and may have even taken a dribble going into the backcourt.

Not that it matters given we still put them in their rightful place. Surprised even if it's the correct call the officials didn't award us the ball given posters on MVCFANS, Drakenation and Shockernet think we only won (and maybe win any games for that matter) because of officials.[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspectives considering every game we have people on this board griping about the officiating and upset about the officials working the game. Over the course of the season, the bad calls are likely going to be evened out with calls that went your way and shouldn't have.

I know it isn't just UNI fans, WSU fans or MVC fans, but I have never understood the infatuation with complaining about the officials. During the course of a 40 minute game, there will be bad calls that go both ways and more times than not will even themselves out. Over the course of a 30 game season, the good and bad calls have little to no impact on a team.

Officials aren't going to get every call right, but they do a pretty good job overall.
          [QUOTE=Born-a-Panther;453941]
          Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

Griping about officials is one thing. Saying that officiating is the ONLY way a particular team ever wins a game is something entirely different.
          The one thing I want from officials is consistency, in a good way. Zelton Steed is consistent in that you never know what he is going to call on any given night-that's consistency in a bad way. This last game against Drake was equally inconsistent in a bad way. 9 total fouls called in the 1st half, 27 called in the second half. Unfortunately, that seems to be a common theme in Valley games, one half is called one way, the other half another. Players and coaches have no idea how to adjust.

Comment

Here's a fun one. Bennett Koch was a combined 15-16 from the field in the two games against Drake. His only miss? His first 3-point attempt of the season from the top of he key as the shot clock expired on the very first possession of the most recent game. Still not sure why it got passed to him up there with that much time on the clock. In either case, that is an extremely efficient way to score 37 points.

Comment

Working...
            X