WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The RPI Comparison Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The RPI Comparison Thread

Is anyone else slightly concerned about our strength of schedule? What's the lowest SOS by a team that received an at-large bid?

According to the ESPN numbers, we're sitting at an overall SOS of 150, non-con SOS of 105. Now, if we keep winning this will be a moot point. I'm just wondering how much breathing room we actually have right now (even at 18-2).

This page form last year says that the lowest SOS for an at-large bid was 91. SMU left out at 129 (their situation was different as they didn't play anyone in the non-con, resulting in a non-con SOS of 302).

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament

Comment

Va Tech nearly upset Virginia and Northwestern nearly upset Maryland yesterday. Getting just one of those would have been really nice for our RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
        Is anyone else slightly concerned about our strength of schedule? What's the lowest SOS by a team that received an at-large bid?

Not at all, we still have Wichita twice, VTech and NW will continue to rise just based on who they're playing, VCU will keep winning games, and hopefully Aaron White gets healthy and Iowa wins some games.

It will all work itself out. Non-con SOS is the bigger factor and that is just fine...
        #MACtion

Comment

Our RPI is fine, so I don't think we'll have anything to worry about unless we starting losing a bunch of games.

Comment

well remember Mizzou State in 06 had a SOS of 39 and an RPI of 21 and missed out with a record of 22-8.

Anything could happen.

Comment

Thats a lot of losses though. We arent losing 9 games.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                Thats a lot of losses though. We arent losing 9 games.
                but the conference was a waaaaaaay stronger then. had 4 teams get into the tourney that year. MSU had the 2nd best RPI in the conference. WSU, Bradley, SIU, UNI, all got in. WSU will likely get in with 1-2 more losses. UNI 3 or more to non WSU teams and it'll be a struggle especially if we lose to WSU 1-2 times. Just keep winning and it will all take care of itself. AND MSU had won 8 of their last 11 going into selection Sunday.
                Last edited by Purrrrrfect; 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post

According to the ESPN numbers, we're sitting at an overall SOS of 150, non-con SOS of 105. Now, if we keep winning this will be a moot point. I'm just wondering how much breathing room we actually have right now (even at 18-2).

This page form last year says that the lowest SOS for an at-large bid was 91. SMU left out at 129 (their situation was different as they didn't play anyone in the non-con, resulting in a non-con SOS of 302).

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament
                  Another thing to keep in mind is that the NCAA selection committee doesn't use ESPN's RPI system or their BPI system. I don't recall off the top of my head which one is the official one they do use, but I'm almost certain it's not ESPN.

I use CBS as it is usually pretty accurate -- CBS has us at #22 in the RPI, a SOS of 130, and a non-conference SOS of 88. I too would like to see that SOS number higher, maybe in the 100-110 range, if possible. RPIforecast has our final SOS projected at 108 (non-con SOS at 69), so that wouldn't be terrible. As someone else noted, wins by VT and Northwestern yesterday would have helped a lot.

Need to beat Wichita State once (more than that would be great); need Iowa back in the RPI Top 50; need VCU & SFA to keep rolling; and Illinois State, Loyola, SDSU, and/or Northwestern moving into the Top 100 would help as well. Maybe most important, we need to avoid any bad losses (@ SIU - 284, Bradley - 265, Drake - 247, @ Missouri State - 204, @ Indiana State - 175)

Comment

Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
                    well remember Mizzou State in 06 had a SOS of 39 and an RPI of 21 and missed out with a record of 22-8.

Anything could happen.
                    That was 2011 and the Valley was a one-bid league that year. The 2011 Valley was the year before Creighton and WSU caught fire.

Comment

We aren't an at-large team!

Not because we don't deserve it (because we do), but because we're going to take the title in St. Louis!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                        That was 2011 and the Valley was a one-bid league that year. The 2011 Valley was the year before Creighton and WSU caught fire.
                        That was 2006. I took it right off the ncaa archives and I was in school then and remember it quite well. MSU lost on the quarters of the NIT that year while bradley and WSU made the sweet 16

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                          No it was 2006. The year the Valley was a 4 bid league and should have had five....maybe even six. MSU got left out, I think, because the committee couldn't face the outcry that would have come had the MVC got more bids than the ACC that year.

UNI was one of the 3 at-larges.

Comment

MSU won the league in 2011 but didn't have anything near an at-large resume.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Hi Panthers to the Bone et al.,

I think everyone may enjoy this site. The video explains everything. It even addresses the MVC and its history as it relates to AT-Large bids. I really loved all the work and thought with this thread. Thank you guys/gals (if there are others). Not sure if this has been posted in the past since I am a new member.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Good analytics.
                                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                                X