WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of Panther Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Panther Athletics

Here's Troy's Annual Letter.

Nothing earth shattering other than looking to end being able to go outside at half for football games. You think it's empty in the second half now...

#MACtion

Re: State of Panther Athletics

There was this:

"While I don’t anticipate alcohol will be sold through concession stands any time soon, we are pursuing development of club sections in both buildings outside of the existing seating bowl that will serve alcohol during the game. This would likely be open on a membership basis based on PSC standing."

Join PSC.
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Nothing earth shattering other than looking to end being able to go outside at half for football games. You think it's empty in the second half now...

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArtic...FOR_MOBILE=YES
      Nothing earth shattering? The cost of attendance is a BIG DEAL to UNI. The cost to implement and sustain will have an effect on all UNI athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
        Nothing earth shattering? The cost of attendance is a BIG DEAL to UNI. The cost to implement and sustain will have an effect on all UNI athletes.
        Meh, we knew it was coming. We knew the finances.

I would imagine it will start with both basketball teams next year and then they'll look to get it to volleyball and wrestling after that.

It'll never come to football at our level so the costs will be somewhat manageable.
        #MACtion

Comment

There is also note that student attendance for both FB and BB is in decline, despite the teams' success:

"Ticketing. Northern Iowa has the 3rd lowest “get in” price for men’s basketball in the MVC (ticket + seat donation). We don’t expect to finish 8th in the league and never will. However, the market hasn’t supported a price point equal to the standing of the program. Student attendance thus far in 2014-15 is at its lowest point in five years in both football and basketball, while the teams are arguably competing at their highest point in five years. $5 tickets may make the crowd look better, but will not financially sustain successful programs. Conversely, we sold a record number of football season tickets and had our best Thanksgiving weekend playoff crowd. The ticketing area is one of my targeted areas of concern for the upcoming year."

So, they are following the student issue that is hot in another MBB topic here.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I found his letter very interesting. Obviously the athletic department and other powers-that-be are taking to heart the issues fans have complained about for years. They're working on solutions. Nothing happens fast- unless I win the Powerball, because then most of it's going to UNI in some capacity or other!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Facilities:

Excited about the UNI-Dome project...can't wait to here more.

Where is the Football Operations Center going to be located? I agree this is a great addition.

Basketball practice facility...wasn't there talk about converting the NU gym into one?
              (217): Just watched a UNI fan at the bar lick the tears off of a KU fans face.. See what march madness does to people

Comment

Meh, we knew it was coming. We knew the finances.

I would imagine it will start with both basketball teams next year and then they'll look to get it to volleyball and wrestling after that.

It'll never come to football at our level so the costs will be somewhat manageable.
                We had an idea but always held onto the hope it would not pass. With the Power 5 breaking off and able to create their own legislation we will now be forced into a position of making some very hard decisions.

Comment

I think there's a lot of stuff worth talking about in there. Cost of attendance is a big deal, and something we need to be very concerned with, IMO.

Also, he talked about facilities projects such as Dome expansion, a new soccer complex, and a basketball practice facility all being on the radar.

I found this very interesting as well:
                  Development. Later this spring we will announce receipt of a gift which endows one of our head coaching positions. This is a landmark gift and introduces a new way of supporting Panther athletics.
                  Coach Jake? What could this be?

And:
                  Television. There are plans in the final stages of development at the league level that will significantly enhance our digital presence. When announced in March, those plans will change viewing habits both locally and nationally for UNI and MVC athletics … not just basketball. Bad on-line feeds will be a thing of the past.
                  MVC going all digital streaming like some other mid-major leagues have done?
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                    We had an idea but always held onto the hope it would not pass. With the Power 5 breaking off and able to create their own legislation we will now be forced into a position of making some very hard decisions.
                    We're looking at $115k per year. Noticeable? Yes. Budget altering? Not really.

The only way this becomes a huge deal for us it's if the Dakota schools decide to go with it for football, which I don't see, especially since the MAC and Sun Belt don't look to be going that way either.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Was just going to post the TV comment. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing those details.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannic88 View Post
                        Basketball practice facility...wasn't there talk about converting the NU gym into one?
                        The only talk about the NU gym, as far as I know, was on here. Which still, I don't understand why this isn't happening. We had a new-ish gym facility fall right into our lap and could easily be converted into a full time bball practice facility. It seems so obvious. To my knowledge, the building is not even being used by athletics right now.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

"Student attendance thus far in 2014-15 is at its lowest point in five years in both football and basketball, while the teams are arguably competing at their highest point in five years."

This is sad to read. Makes me even more glad for "I Bleed" and other students who are taking action in this regard. I certainly do as much as I can to encourage students I know to attend.

Comment

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArtic...FOR_MOBILE=YES

"I also anticipate the end of the pass out policy. In other words, when you leave the building, you must purchase a new ticket to re-enter."

So, you think this will make the problem worse? Don't you think that it will help keep people in the building longer?

Comment

"Bad on-line feeds will be a thing of the past."

This will be really nice when it comes to pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X