Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Football

Panther Football Discuss all things related to Panther football.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #106
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Default Re: New Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
Webcam to monitor installation over the next couple of months:

http://www.unipanthers.com/news/2017...-for-2017.aspx

I hope they do daily or weekly still shots that are put together to show the progress over time.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #107
achrist70

There is a bunch of action on the stream today, the midfield logo, and now the numbers.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #108
in_the_stands

Relieved to see that the state outlining the logo is in fact, Iowa and not one of our neighbors.
in_the_stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #109
BCPanther
PN Crusader

They could stop right now and it would be a better surface than we've played on in 10 years.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #110
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
They could stop right now and it would be a better surface than we've played on in 10 years.
I'd go back 42 years, to be honest.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #111
sevelev711

Progress is a comin', they've got most of the green laid down, from the endzone to the 30 on both sides.
sevelev711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #112
achrist70

There is still a lot of work to do, I would guess they are maybe a quarter done.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #113
EVSPanther

Now, if we could just get rid of the red color chair backs somehow. Field looks good though.
EVSPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #114
ubuntuCAT

I like the alternating green every 5 yards.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #115
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVSPanther View Post
Now, if we could just get rid of the red color chair backs somehow. Field looks good though.
I had the same thought.

I think the new turf is going to look fantastic.

But it's kind of like when you get new carpet but keep the old furniture. Suddenly that furniture looks REALLY old.

The dome would look pretty awesome with some purple seats.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #116
vbfan19

I'd love to see individual seatback seats like in the McLeod (perhaps just in the PSC season ticket sections), but I doubt there will ever be the budget for that.

alternatively, I'd like to see a full house at every game so that the color of the bleacher backs don't really matter
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #117
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
I'd love to see individual seatback seats like in the McLeod (perhaps just in the PSC season ticket sections), but I doubt there will ever be the budget for that.

alternatively, I'd like to see a full house at every game so that the color of the bleacher backs don't really matter
The former is more likely than the latter.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #118
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
The article makes it sound like some of the old turf may be re-purposed elsewhere for the athletic department, but astroturf will be taking the rest.

So, what happened with the old turf?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #119
UNIpanther99

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
So, what happened with the old turf?
The original article said Astroturf was taking most of it. I think they sell used turf sections. I'm guessing that was part of the deal. It will probably end up in batting cages around the country.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #120
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
The original article said Astroturf was taking most of it. I think they sell used turf sections. I'm guessing that was part of the deal. It will probably end up in batting cages around the country.

None for sale to us? I would think we would pay more per square yard than a batting cage. Disappointed that we didn't even get an opportunity.

Oh well, maybe it should be "good riddance" on that field.

Someone should keep a piece and make a TD memorial!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #121
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
None for sale to us? I would think we would pay more per square yard than a batting cage. Disappointed that we didn't even get an opportunity.

Oh well, maybe it should be "good riddance" on that field.

Someone should keep a piece and make a TD memorial!
I do typically need somewhere to pee during tailgating...
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #122
Panther AC

Some of the turf will be used for UNI softball batting cages in the old university museum near the southwest edge of campus. Other UNI teams will benefit from the old turf as well. Look for some of it to be available to the public, as the previous turf was about 10 years ago, with the remainder going to Astroturf.
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #123
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Some of the turf will be used for UNI softball batting cages in the old university museum near the southwest edge of campus. Other UNI teams will benefit from the old turf as well. Look for some of it to be available to the public, as the previous turf was about 10 years ago, with the remainder going to Astroturf.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #124
sevelev711

Saw the new turf in person for the first time today, is it pretty. This was a good investment already.

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #125
achrist70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevelev711 View Post
Saw the new turf in person for the first time today, is it pretty. This was a good investment already.
You mean the lines actually line up?

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #126
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

Good to know that the new turf isn't just an internet hoax.

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #127
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
You mean the lines actually line up?
It's got padding underneath and everything, it's not just carpet on cement like the last one was.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #128
MnPantherFan

Quote:
It's got padding underneath and everything, it's not just carpet on cement like the last one was.
Technically it's a rubberized track surface but I'm just splitting hairs. The original Mn. Gopher artificial surface was a 3M product which was like brillo pad on concrete. Guaranteed to remove the outer layer of any body part that came in contact with it. Worst of all worlds.
MnPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #129
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnPantherFan View Post
Technically it's a rubberized track surface but I'm just splitting hairs. The original Mn. Gopher artificial surface was a 3M product which was like brillo pad on concrete. Guaranteed to remove the outer layer of any body part that came in contact with it. Worst of all worlds.

Brillo pad on concrete! Ouch!

I remember the old Gately Stadium in South Chicago. It was like playing on a mini-putt course. Really thin, bright green, and just laying on concrete.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #130
panthergirl123

Quote:

A full house is doubtful for every game. It is likely that not even everyone on here will attend all the games. I plan to because I am a loyal fan who even if I don't agree with everything Farley does or if we play sketchy I will still attend. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin and don't run away. Running away is cowardly.

On a positive note, I saw the latest pic of the field and it looks absolutely stunning. It is something for Panther fans to be proud of.
panthergirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #131
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthergirl123 View Post
I plan to because I am a loyal fan who even if I don't agree with everything Farley does or if we play sketchy I will still attend. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin and don't run away. Running away is cowardly.
False. I also take issue with your use of "running away" as the description.

There are very, very, few ways that 99% of fans can make their feelings known:
1. They can write a letter/e-mail the the AD, not knowing if it will even ever been seen.
2. Go to games and boo - people typically take issue with home fans booing their program at games
3. Social media - which will likely be completely ignored by the athletic department 98% of the time
OR
4. They can let their "voices be heard" in a way the AD will not be able to ignore - the check book and attendance.

People not showing up, especially those who already spent money on a ticket, to a game is the easiest way to gauge the state of the program, as well as the happiness of a fan base. It's not that these people don't care. In fact, it's because of how much they care. The fact that people that have been going to games for two, three even four decades, have decided that doing literally anything else is more enjoyable than spending 3-4 hours watching the product being put on the field should say something. That isn't fair weather fans running away. UNI's fan base doesn't have a ton of bandwagon fans most years. We have a pretty solid core of about 10-12K for football that will be there pretty much every week. When those people stop showing up it's not because they are running. It's their way of protesting what is happening. I, personally, know a couple big donors that have been going to games since Farley was the "Walk on from Waukon" that have decided the time commitment to drive to Cedar Falls, watch the clown show on the field and then drive home wasn't worth it for them. They aren't running from crap. They were going to games during the Sheriff years, and as fondly as Sheriff is remembered (and as vital as he was in so many ways at UNI), he wasn't real good at putting winning teams on the field with any kind of consistency. The amount of money they've donated to UNI over the years, money spent on tickets, clothing, banquets, UNI Foundation, Friends of Gallagher, etc... on top of travel costs to follow the football, men's and women's basketball teams, volleyball, wrestling, etc... around the country is incalculable. They aren't running. They aren't any "less true" a fan than you are. Dick measuring contests over "true fans" are really dumb, especially at a place like UNI 98% of the time.

Since the start of the 2009 season there has been ONE double digit win season?.one. That was 2011 when the team went 10-3 and got curb stomped in the quarterfinals 48-10. Against full D1 scholarship teams over that time UNI has gone 5-4, 7-5, 10-3, 4-6, 6-5, 9-5, 9-5, 5-6. That is 55-39 (58.5%). Sure, that doesn't sound too bad. Then remember that 28 of those 55 (OVER HALF) of those wins came in less than half the years played. Half of the years in that time frame have included 6, or less, D1 wins. That's not a healthy program.

Sure, you want to talk about the fans that would make up 12,001 through 16,500 in the UNIDome as being fair-weather and running? I guess I can't truly argue that. My only counter would be that if we aren't drawing them out to a game, it's because of quality on the field and not because of ticket prices, sight lines, etc... It's on the program to be good enough to turn those fair weather fans into long time season ticket holders and donors. If the program isn't good enough to draw those fans out, it isn't creating new fans. It isn't increasing the size of its fan base. It becomes, especially in the case of football, an even bigger drag on the athletic department.

Last edited by claw; 06-02-2017 at 07:45 AM.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #132
in_the_stands

The Norse have out-done us

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...field-20170531
in_the_stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #133
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_stands View Post
1.7 million... at some point, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it. We borderline needed that new turf, I don't think we would need to replace a natural grass field with blue turf. Especially when that does jack for recruiting, because there is no recruiting.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #134
BCPanther
PN Crusader

If somebody came to us and said I'd like to give you $1.7M toward a hanging board in the McLeod Center and new ribbon boards, you don't think we'd say yes?

Do we need new boards? Nope. If someone offered the cash would we do it? Undoubtedly.

Same deal at Luther. Somebody gave them the cash and they got a shiny new thing.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #135
Blue42

Not a fan of the blue turf idea. Maybe if they alternate a darker and lighter blue with a very large logo in the middle.

But even then...I think it's a mistake. Just looks like you're trying too hard.

I'd rather see a green field with alternating shades every 5 like we did and do something really innovative with the logo at mid field and perhaps the end zones.

I believe u can look down on Luther's field from the hill on campus side so a large mid field would be visible from there.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #136
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
Not a fan of the blue turf idea. Maybe if they alternate a darker and lighter blue with a very large logo in the middle.

But even then...I think it's a mistake. Just looks like you're trying too hard.

I'd rather see a green field with alternating shades every 5 like we did and do something really innovative with the logo at mid field and perhaps the end zones.

I believe u can look down on Luther's field from the hill on campus side so a large mid field would be visible from there.
Most of the campus is on top of a bluff, while the football field is down in the valley. The student union is on the edge of the bluff, and it overlooks the football field. In fact the main cafeteria doubles as the press box during football games. At least it did when I was there (and worked in the Sports Information office).

Glad I'm not there anymore. I hate all non-green football fields.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #137
panthergirl123

Quote:
I hate all non-green football fields.
I agree. Am I correct in the Boise State plays on a blue field? I am a traditionalist and love the green.

Also, all this talk about Luther makes me hungry for Mabe's pizza.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #138
achrist70

Now I'm hungry for Mabe's
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #139
panthergirl123

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
Now I'm hungry for Mabe's
Sorry. My personal preference is for their Around the Garden. However, the philly is pretty good too.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #140
achrist70

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthergirl123 View Post
Sorry. My personal preference is for their Around the Garden. However, the philly is pretty good too.
I've never had a bad pizza there, everything is good.