WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB spring/summer 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB spring/summer 2016

Just wanted to start a thread for the upcoming spring scrimmages, as well as offseason chatter.

I believe UNI will be hosting their spring "tournament" on April 16. Don't really have any details other than Iowa will be there.

Also heard through the grapevine that UNI will once again be hosting a non-conference tournament this fall. Not quite as high profile as last season's (with Kentucky, Creighton, and USC), but still very cool that they are hosting.
    I think it might be a three-day event, with teams including Syracuse, Northwestern, and North Dakota State, and possibly others (though there is always the chance that the gossip I'm hearing could be off, or sometimes scheduling changes before fall rolls around).

I believe UNI will also be playing another round of the USC/Kentucky/Creighton rotating tourney, with this year being either in Omaha or LA.

Re: VB spring/summer 2016

Any thoughts on expectations for next years team? Think we will make it back to the tournament?

Comment

What? The mighty Hog eyes know the way to Cedar Falls, at least in the spring?

Remind me - is this a change, or have we scrimmaged them like this lately?

(The two seniors were not being counted on too heavily at the end of last year. I would think we would be as strong or stronger this fall.)
      Last edited by '70 Grad; 03-09-2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Iowa has played in the spring scrimmages at UNI at least the past couple years. They just haven't played each other during the actual (fall) season since 2005. I wouldn't be surprised if they popped back up on the schedule sometime in the next few seasons. Bre Payton (who was a multiple-year All-American setter at UNI) has been the Director of VB Operations at Iowa the past couple years, and was just recently promoted to interim assistant coach (news release)

As for UNI, I think they definitely have potential for a good year. The main rotation is all returning (as far as I know), with a strong senior-to-be class and some younger players who saw significant playing time as sophomores and freshmen, and some of the ones that redshirted last season have strong potential too.

Many of the other top teams in the conference have strong returning rosters as well, though, so it could well be another tight conference race.

Comment

I had thought it was Bobbie who wouldn't play Iowa, not the other way around. Iowa typically being so bad that even a win over them wasn't worth the opportunity cost of not playing a better/more visible opponent, in order for us to be viable as an NCAA at-large.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
            I had thought it was Bobbie who wouldn't play Iowa, not the other way around. Iowa typically being so bad that even a win over them wasn't worth the opportunity cost of not playing a better/more visible opponent, in order for us to be viable as an NCAA at-large.
            Iowa was always willing to play UNI as long as they never had to play in Cedar Falls...

Sent from my GS6
            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Interesting Iowa volleyball note: Bre Payton just got elevated from director of operations to interim Asst. Coach.

By the way, they were 12-21 and 2-18 in their conference last year. Not exactly a resume-padder for the Panthers.
              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
              - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                Iowa was always willing to play UNI as long as they never had to play in Cedar Falls...

Sent from my GS6
                I might be mixed up on this, but I thought it was Bluder who didn't like bringing the Hawkeyes into the West Gym. Which seemed unfortunate, coming from one of our own alums.

Comment

The B1G is tough in VB. If they're going to have wins, they need them in the OOC. And RPI-wise, they aren't good for us. So I'd guess no body wants a match. Spring, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                    The B1G is tough in VB. If they're going to have wins, they need them in the OOC. And RPI-wise, they aren't good for us. So I'd guess no body wants a match. Spring, yeah.
                    And yet even going 12-21 last season, they still ended up with an RPI of 91 (better than half of the MVC).

I think their new coach has that program moving in a positive direction. They're probably never going to be top of the conference, but I don't think they'll stay locked in the cellar either.

Maybe not worth going out of the way to get them on the schedule, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them pop up some time in the next few years. But if it doesn't happen, I don't have a problem with that either. Bobbi and the staff generally know what they're doing when it comes to scheduling.

Comment

More info on the April 16 tournament:

The University of Northern Iowa volleyball team will host its spring play-date event Saturday, April 16, 2016. The event will take place in the

Comment

fall schedule is out: http://unipanthers.com/news/2016/4/2...e-matches.aspx

Aug. 26-27 at Michigan Invitational – Saint Louis, Miami (Ohio), Michigan
                        Sept. 2-3 at USC Tournament – Creighton, USC, Kentucky
                        Sept. 9 vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Kansas City, Mo.)
                        Sept. 9 at UMKC
                        Sept. 10 at Kansas
                        Sept. 13 Iowa State, 7 p.m.
                        Sept. 16-18 UNI Tournament – Illinois State, Northwestern, North Dakota State, Syracuse
                        12 matches against teams that made the NCAA tournament last year, including 2 seeded teams, a final four team, an elite 8 team, a sweet 16 team, and 3 second round teams

Similar to last year, the MVC schedule has been compressed to allow an extra weekend of non-conference play. UNI will host Illinois State as part of the Panthers' home non-conference tourney, and Indiana State will come to the McLeod on a Monday following UNI's home matches against MSU and WSU

Comment

Surprised to see the latest addition to next year's team from Dike-New Hartford was only an honorable mention all-state player at the small school level. I know the staff does a great job developing players but did we miss out on a higher-profile player?

Comment

Because UNI volleyball has never ever had success with small school Iowa kids before. Nope, never.

Comment

I acknowledged the development of small-school players in my post. That doesn't change the fact that we offered her very late in the recruiting process. It was simply a question to determine if someone else had backed-out or if someone else left the team. With you being the person who most frequently posts about volleyball, I thought you might have some inside info. It doesn't require a snarky reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X