WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

Originally posted by Chad View Post
    One of the best things I have heard is that Bonin is planning on being in the room next year, which can do nothing but help guys improve.
    That's going to be a big help to those young guys to have his work ethic and attitude still around the program.

I don't mean to hijack this convo but I wonder what his current plans are? I imagine he has some sort of part/full-time employment lined up since he is miles away from home and living in CF isn't cheap, especially when you graduate and no longer have that financial aid.

Comment

Hope to see Joe Colon back as a Panther also, But UNI has there work cut out to Get Him Back, going to be intersting. can't say at this time we will fined out within the next week when he meets with UNI.

Comment

To me if Colon is back on the team Colon vs. Peters for 125 is an interesting battle, watching them since they were high school I think that Peters has more talent, but is he going to be big enough? Colon will be a big 125, so he has that going for him, but what has he done since being booted?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
          To me if Colon is back on the team Colon vs. Peters for 125 is an interesting battle, watching them since they were high school I think that Peters has more talent, but is he going to be big enough? Colon will be a big 125, so he has that going for him, but what has he done since being booted?
          From my viewpoint, Peters is big enough, Colon has more "talent", and Joe has been training.

I think you see Colon at 133 next season for the Panthers. This will make for added depth there since Wolfy will be back at that wt, too.

Comment

Peters is plenty big for 125, he is a beast and he will be tough next year. Unless something would drastically change, if Colon returns (has sounded good recently) he will be at 133. Hopefully Wolfy comes back healthy and those would be some cool try out matches to watch bewteeen those two! I think Lazor is the real deal (keep working on the fundamentals) at 141, but there could be some hellish battles in try outs between Lazor and Wolfy(if he would bump up). Hiatt has a ton of potential, must be healthy, he could really be a wildcard for UNI next season. At 157 I think Jensen and Witte will be a good battle. Cooper Moore is expected to step in and battle for AA honors right away, why not?! Cody Caldwell will be a force next season at 174, Loder will be a beast, again it comes down to the last two weight classes being the unknown. Not sure on Kettman's health, I have heard that Bartel may grow into a HWT, and Krum is coming off a couple of surgeries. All in all, this is what Doug and his staff having been trying to reach, depth at most weight classes, no one guaranteed a spot, potentially hard fought try outs at each weight class, the Panther Train is moving, all aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

With all due respect to him, head to head at 125 (or whatever weight), Peters does not beat Colon.

Colon's a lot better than we may know, and, call me crazy, but he still works best in the lineup at 125.
              Last edited by ban basketball; 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                With all due respect to him, head to head at 125 (or whatever weight), Peters does not beat Colon.

Colon's a lot better than we may know, and, call me crazy, but he still works best in the lineup at 125.
                Ban, when you posted this I said to myself "you are probably right". It is most likely right that UNI will be best with Colon and Wolfy in the line up at 125 and 133 respectfully. IMHO, Colon is a title contender and 125 and Wolfy is a AA contender at 133. Where Peters is an outside AA contender at 125 and Colon is a high AA at 133. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure UNI can afford to sit a guy like Peters (who is very good) when he is a high profile recruit on a lot of $.

Comment

Colon may "fit best" at 125 but it isn't that easy. He struggled to make 125 as a true frosh in JC. I can't see him doing it effectively 4 years later and after spending a year outside a wrestling room.

Also, I'd listen when Big Poppa speaks with that level of certainty. He knows.

Comment

I spoke with someone close to Colon at last year's nationals and they said he didn't feel right when he tried to go to 125. It doesn't mean he won't try again, but this person made it sound like 133 was as low as he would go.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherInsider View Post
                      Colon may "fit best" at 125 but it isn't that easy. He struggled to make 125 as a true frosh in JC. I can't see him doing it effectively 4 years later and after spending a year outside a wrestling room.

Also, I'd listen when Big Poppa speaks with that level of certainty. He knows.
                      Yes, he certainly does, but I hold my own, as well. I've been an unwavering, unapologetic UNI wrestling fan for over 20 years, even being among the 100 or so diehards in the stands during the "lean" years.
                      Last edited by ban basketball; 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

it makes no difference what weight 125,133 he goes he will be right in the top 2 in the country at either weight.

Comment

Ban - sometimes a little knowledge is scary on your part(although I do respect your devotion to the panthers), in talking to people who know Joe, in his mind he is better off at 133 vs cutting to 125, that being said, depending on how close they had to be to weight at 125 to wrestle off, and if it was 1 or 2 hour weigh ins, Peters may give Joe a pretty good go. I think you underestimate Peters, I think Colon is top 3 potential at either weight, but for a season long grind, he is better suited for 133. That certainly does not make me right or you wrong, but certain wrestlers just do not like to cut a lot of weight and perform better when cutting less, Joe seems to fit into this category. I would also add that with all that Joe has been through and overcome, if he is reinstated I think he would have enough on his plate competing on the mat and in the classroom, cutting a ton of weight would not be in his or the teams best interest!

Comment

I'm not underestimating Peters-I think he'll be everything and then some of what we are expecting-I was just responding to achrist70's post that Peters has more talent than Colon.

Not quite yet...

Comment

Colon is as talented wrestler and athlete as UNI has in its room at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Poppa Pump View Post
                                Colon is as talented wrestler and athlete as UNI has in its room at present.
                                Is colon even on the team?

Comment

Working...
                                X