WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klieman to Minnesota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klieman to Minnesota?

Bohl has a ton of baggage. There were some issues with a 'relationship' he had with a secretary when he was at Nebraska.

Minnesota doesn't dare touch that with some of the allegations out there in their program right now.
    #MACtion

Comment

Here's a somewhat unrelated article about BCS college sports programs' debt levels. Minnesota is #9 on the rankings with almost $200M in debt. Much probably to the relatively new $300M TCF football stadium.

They better find someone that can put butts in the seats. They have a serious debt load. Not as bad as Illinois, whose stadium is 85 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
        Here's a somewhat unrelated article about BCS college sports programs' debt levels. Minnesota is #9 on the rankings with almost $200M in debt. Much probably to the relatively new $300M TCF football stadium.

They better find someone that can put butts in the seats. They have a serious debt load. Not as bad as Illinois, whose stadium is 85 years old.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...crippling-debt
        Very interesting article.

Have read a lot on the Financials of college sports...but had never seen this debt angle before.

If the networks ever decide it's time to pare back the bidding for TV contracts, thesp athletic departments could really get shaken up. While that seems hard to believe now, a lot can change in a generation. Neither of my kids have/watch cable TV. They consume their media in other ways.

Interesting story on Cal-Berkley. 470 million stadium reno...most expensive ever...cuz the stadium sits on the fault line and had to be quake-proofed.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Row the Boat...........To Minneapolis.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...crippling-debt
            The Chronicle's big article last fall included a database of D-I schools with the financials. For the period covered - 2010 tp 2014 - UMN's athletic department recieved about $38 million in institutional support to cover the budget:

As for the stadium being part of the debt cited in the article, I recall UMN had an obligation of about $110 million of the total cost and raised about $80 million of that in donations, naming rights and other agreements (letting TCF market to students and alumni, for example) and made up the rest with students fees ($12.50 max per student per semester Fall and Spring since 2009 ... about 50,000 students at the Twin Cities campus) and parking revenue.
            Last edited by ronfitch; 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              Row the Boat...........To Minneapolis.
              Techincally, WMU got the trademark to Row the Boat in 2015.

He'll have to scream SKI-U-MAH (complete gibberish) from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                Techincally, WMU got the trademark to Row the Boat in 2015.

He'll have to scream SKI-U-MAH (complete gibberish) from now on.
                That was fast. No recruits have to Google his name.
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I think I read 6 years, $21M? I'm a little surprised the $ aren't higher, but 6 years means he got an extra couple tacked on given their current mess. I wouldn't doubt almost all of that is guaranteed, too. Like I said earlier, he had big bargaining leverage coming in given their bad situation with current players, past players, alumni, area high school coaches, the drunken, bearded Viking mascot guy...you name it.

Comment

What happened to Les Miles going to Minnesota? When I went off-line yesterday evening, the radio guys were all talking about Miles, not Fleck. Did Miles turn it down? Did Minnesota decide they didn't want Miles? Or was it all rumor anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                      What happened to Les Miles going to Minnesota? When I went off-line yesterday evening, the radio guys were all talking about Miles, not Fleck. Did Miles turn it down? Did Minnesota decide they didn't want Miles? Or was it all rumor anyway?
                      Miles was in town. Miles was a legitimate plan b, and did interview. Fleck was wavering on taking the job so they brought Miles in to force Fleck's hand.

As far as stein being surprised by how low the money is, that's still $3.5m and puts him 6th in the conference for pay behind only Harbaugh, Meyer, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio. All of them are top in the top 14 highest paid coaches in the nation. Looking at it and it looks like $3.5m is the 26th highest paid coach in the nation. I'd say that's pretty damn high

Comment

Miles was in town. Miles was a legitimate plan b, and did interview. Fleck was wavering on taking the job so they brought Miles in to force Fleck's hand.

Interesting. Seems like it worked. However, I don't think Fleck's schtick is going to work in the Twin Cities. It is best for an underachieving regional school, not a flagship program that plays in the shadow of an NFL team.

Comment

As far as stein being surprised by how low the money is, that's still $3.5m and puts him 6th in the conference for pay behind only Harbaugh, Meyer, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio. All of them are top in the top 14 highest paid coaches in the nation. Looking at it and it looks like $3.5m is the 26th highest paid coach in the nation. I'd say that's pretty damn high
                          In hindsight, it's obviously good cash. I also just saw something like 5 years, $18M, but still good. It's probably all guaranteed too. I read that Claeys had $500K buyout. That's chump change in today's landscape.

The key for him will be limiting immediate transfers, and keeping current recruits. If one goes south for him, it's an issue. If both, a disaster. The disaster is possible, given that there's probably no way to erase the negative feelings the current players have for the admin. If I'm UNI, I'm working the phones hard right now. We need more talent, and there are some guys looking for a place to land.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                            In hindsight, it's obviously good cash. I also just saw something like 5 years, $18M, but still good. It's probably all guaranteed too. I read that Claeys had $500K buyout. That's chump change in today's landscape.

The key for him will be limiting immediate transfers, and keeping current recruits. If one goes south for him, it's an issue. If both, a disaster. The disaster is possible, given that there's probably no way to erase the negative feelings the current players have for the admin. If I'm UNI, I'm working the phones hard right now. We need more talent, and there are some guys looking for a place to land.
                            The investigative report by the administration is pretty ugly to read. If players want to transfer in support of their teammates who are referenced in that report, you let them leave right away and start rebuilding the culture of your program.

Whether charges were pressed or not, the nature of what went on with the accused players is horrifying/disgusting and those are not individuals I would want associated with my team. If the contract is guaranteed, let those players leave and build with your guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                              The investigative report by the administration is pretty ugly to read. If players want to transfer in support of their teammates who are referenced in that report, you let them leave right away and start rebuilding the culture of your program.

Whether charges were pressed or not, the nature of what went on with the accused players is horrifying/disgusting and those are not individuals I would want associated with my team. If the contract is guaranteed, let those players leave and build with your guys.

That report is mostly about incidents, but it is clearly an issue of culture. The reported incidents were probably not unusual for the program. Frankly, I'm really surprised that the compliance czars for institutions don't do more to patrol the recruiting process. The coaches have to make a list of every call or text, but there seems to be almost no oversight for the recruitment visits themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

He's bound to nudge some guys towards the door, just like any coaching change. What will hurt him is this has the potential to take several guys he'd probably want to keep. But, it also sounds like he's pretty enthusiastic, salesman type. That could limit a lot of potential damage.

My comments above weren't a dismissal of anything that happened, just a reflection of the players opinions based on news stories I've read. Like them or not, they're their feelings.

Comment

Working...
                                X