Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes

Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes A forum to debate all of the in state rivalries

Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Default Tense times in the land of Wide Right & Natty Light

Seems to be a growing sense that Fred will dump ISU for the Chicago Bulls' HC position. Lots of things need to fall into place for Hoiberg to leave, yet it seems the possibility seems stronger each day, even though the bulls still have a HC.

Thoughts on how the melodrama plays out? Does mother nature add insult to injury and flood Hilton after Fred announces departure?

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
lakesbison

Default Re: Tense times in the land of Wide Right & Natty Light

oh poor cyclowns. first a loss to ndsu, then choke in big dance, then hoiberg gone. awwwwww.
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
SteinPizza

Hard to say what will happen, but it sounds like a foregone conclusion that Fred is NBA bound at some point. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the BDJ incidents and the upset loss were the final straw for him. He made some cryptic comments about being burnt out after the season. He may well stick around for one more year given their returning talent, but people in the press who would supposedly have info say he's done.

Last edited by SteinPizza; 05-21-2015 at 12:12 AM.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Kyle

No way he turns down the Bulls job if offered. I will cry my eyes out laughing at the epic meltdown that will go down on cyclone fanatic. That entertainment alone makes me hope Freddy bolts for Chitown.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
CincyPanther88

I don't see how this could go wrong. Just like the last time the Bulls hired an ISU coach.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
I don't see how this could go wrong. Just like the last time the Bulls hired an ISU coach.
Fred Hoiberg - Tim Floyd. Big difference in terms of professional experience, what they've been exposed to in the game. Some of Jerry Krause's decisions when he was Bulls GM turned out real well, but others seemed like they were made to prove how smart he was. Tim Floyd falls in to the later category.

Fred could prove to be a professional flop, who knows? I'm just saying he's got a far better resume coming in than Tim Floyd ever had.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #7
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
No way he turns down the Bulls job if offered. I will cry my eyes out laughing at the epic meltdown that will go down on cyclone fanatic. That entertainment alone makes me hope Freddy bolts for Chitown.
I think the main meltdown already happened. This thing is being drawn out so long that most fans have gone or are currently going through the 5 stages of grief. The meltdown would have been of epic proportions if it would have been more sudden. I think most fans already realized Fred is going to the NBA, if he doesn't then it'll be like winning the lottery.

Lots have already turned to who they want to replace Fred and just want to get it over with. Whoever does replace Fred will walk into a situation where they have top 10 talent and the expectations will be high for next season regardless of who the coach is.

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say there's a 90% chance Fred will not be at ISU next season.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #8
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
Hard to say what will happen, but it sounds like a foregone conclusion that Fred is NBA bound at some point. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the BDJ incidents and the upset loss were the final straw for him. He made some cryptic comments about being burnt out after the season. He may well stick around for one more year given their returning talent, but people in the press who would supposedly have info say he's done.
I think it has more to do with his dream of being an NBA coach. And quite possibly he knows his coaching career will be shortened due to his heart health so he feels he needs to jump on the NBA train sooner than later. He may not be a lifer when it comes to coaching. If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
GonzoCat

I like having Freddy at ISU simply because he doesn't really recruit Iowa kids, leaving the best in state players for UNI with only Iowa to compete against for some of them. The next coach may take a different approach.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
I like having Freddy at ISU simply because he doesn't really recruit Iowa kids, leaving the best in state players for UNI with only Iowa to compete against for some of them. The next coach may take a different approach.
This is true. It all depends on a new coaches' style of play. If it's similar to Fred, then Iowa will continue to be largely off their recruiting radar. It sounds like they brought in Otzelberger (sp?) for a reason. So he may only just tweak things.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
I think it has more to do with his dream of being an NBA coach. And quite possibly he knows his coaching career will be shortened due to his heart health so he feels he needs to jump on the NBA train sooner than later. He may not be a lifer when it comes to coaching. If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.

Very well said. I agree. It is mostly about chasing the dream of being an NBA coach.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
If he is leaving ISU because he was burnt out from BDJ and an upset loss in the Tourney, then he's in for a rude awakening in the NBA. Season is more than twice as long, traveling a lot more, and dealing with bigger egos than BDJ.
The college coaching job is year-round anyway, with recruiting, appearing at fundraisers, and making Applebee's commercials. He's going to get paid a good deal more and not have to be in Ames. Win-win.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
Very well said. I agree. It is mostly about chasing the dream of being an NBA coach.
I think Hoiberg's got a career bucket list that says...

1. Play at ISU
2. Pay in NBA
3. Head Coach ISU
4. Head Coach NBA

...and if there's a fifth...I'd guess it's either...

President or General Manager of an NBA team, or
Athletic Director at ISU

He's on pace.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Let the hand wringing commence. What happens first, the Mayor leaves or Cy is dumped in a landfill after contracting avian flu?

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-bulls-...7949--spt.html

Old 05-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #15
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Let the hand wringing commence. What happens first, the Mayor leaves or Cy is dumped in a landfill after contracting avian flu?

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-bulls-...7949--spt.html

I was wondering what the deal was, since the longer it took, the more intriguing it got for both Thibs and the Bulls management. I'm guessing they didn't announce until they had a firm next move on both sides - Thibs with a new gig, and the Bulls with a new coach.

It will be interesting to hear the afternoon drive shows on both DSM sports talk stations. KXNO has the guy from Cyclone Fanatic as a host, and 1700 The Champ has David Kaplan who may have scoop on the Bulls next guy. And, while he still has some clout, Derek Rose and his business associates may be wondering what's down the road. He and Thibs were kind of a "team" against the Bulls' management for the past few years.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

It appears that the band aid has been ripped off - multiple reports of Fred signing a $25M contract with the Bulls.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
unicheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
I've always been bummed at how much Floyd's career with the Bulls gets crapped on. He was set up for failure from the start. Here's a comparison between Phil Jackson's top 6 scorers from the season prior, and Floyd's top 6 scorers:
97-98: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr; not to mention Dennis Rodman's 15 rebounds per game.
98-99: Toni Kukoc, Brent Barry, Ron Harper, Dickey Simpkins, Mark Bryant, and Randy Brown.
Yes, this team was historically inept, with a 13-37 record (lockout-shortened season), but even Phil would have struggled to get this team over the .500 mark... Dickey freakin' Simpkins!
In the next few years, Floyd saw some young talent come through in Elton Brand, Ron Artest, and Ron Mercer... but was still dependent upon the likes of Marcus Fizer, Eddy Curry, Bryce Drew, Rusty LaRue, a decrepit Charles Oakley, and yes: Fred Hoiberg.
In his one season with New Orleans, he did manage a 41-41 record, including a trip to the playoffs.
I still think the man could coach; just didn't quite get the right opportunities in the NBA.
All that is to say... Go Panthers!
unicheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicheer View Post
I've always been bummed at how much Floyd's career with the Bulls gets crapped on. He was set up for failure from the start. Here's a comparison between Phil Jackson's top 6 scorers from the season prior, and Floyd's top 6 scorers:
97-98: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr; not to mention Dennis Rodman's 15 rebounds per game.
98-99: Toni Kukoc, Brent Barry, Ron Harper, Dickey Simpkins, Mark Bryant, and Randy Brown.
Yes, this team was historically inept, with a 13-37 record (lockout-shortened season), but even Phil would have struggled to get this team over the .500 mark... Dickey freakin' Simpkins!
In the next few years, Floyd saw some young talent come through in Elton Brand, Ron Artest, and Ron Mercer... but was still dependent upon the likes of Marcus Fizer, Eddy Curry, Bryce Drew, Rusty LaRue, a decrepit Charles Oakley, and yes: Fred Hoiberg.
In his one season with New Orleans, he did manage a 41-41 record, including a trip to the playoffs.
I still think the man could coach; just didn't quite get the right opportunities in the NBA.
That's true. I think his style of coaching translates better to college than the NBA.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicheer View Post
All debateable, I guess. One thing I forgot about until reading about it this week. Michael Jordan had a chance to come back and play for Floyd, and refused. I don't remember it being personal against Tim, but more the lack of respect for a college coach by NBA players. Hoiberg actually played in the league, which is a big difference.